Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash Question... >

Stash Question...

Stash Question...

Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 PM

I always buy my fabric on sale. Have been known to go a little overboard!
I pick out a focus fabric first. I then pick at least 2 lights, 2 darks, and what I call a "popper".
I pile them across the shopping cart on top of each other, step back and see if I like it. I will often pick all the ones that I think really go with the focus fabric.
I then try to find a second focus fabric considerably different from the first, but that will still look great with what I have already selected. I like to buy 3 to 4 yards of each fabric and any remnant left on the bolt.
I think I get more, bang for my buck, this way.
I love my fabric stash! It is so soothing for me to just look at it and feel it.
I love each step of the process from start to finished stacks on my shelves.
Joyce
Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Well I went into WM yesterday just to look at the fabrics. The lady cutting the fabric said to me you are back again. Make your choices before I go home cause there are two of us here to cut the tons of fabric you are gonna want. Mind you she is a friend of my DM. But the other lady just stood there looking at me like you are back, cause she is the one that is always there when I get fabric. I only buy clearance fabric when it is a nice quality fabric. Low budget. So I buy what I can when I can.
Just wait til you get to the point of when you look at the fabric and it starts to talk to you and you can see the project in your head already. That is when your stash will start to grow and grow and never stop.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Luv2Kreate
I would like to start collecting fabrics and start a stash...just not sure how to start.
Prints are the most fun to collect, but be sure to get a good range of blenders (or anything that "reads solid") in colors that you like. You don't need big pieces, or a lot of yardage, just a good range of color. You can have loads of fun and will be able to put together lots of combinations for all your future projects.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Luv2Kreate
I don't plan on creating a HUGE over the top stash, but ...
YEP, neither did I, but.....it just happened anyway. lol

One thing I would like to comment on. I do not cut yardage into fat quarters because I like to have pieces for borders or that large piece might make a pretty center for back art. I do buy lots of FQs though.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 PM

I always round up required yardage amounts, 1/2yd means I purchase 1 yd, 1 3/8 means I purchase 2 yds, etc.. I also always check the sale racks, and the scrap bins. I really have not added to my stash the past year, first I made the decision because I ran out of room and then a few later I lost my job. That stash sure has come in handy since!!! Once I am working again I told my husband I will need to replenish:)
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I buy according to what I think the fabric might end up being used for. If it's a great border fabric get 3 yards. A great background fabric get at least 4 or 5. Anything that will be used for blocks, anywhere from fat quarters to yard cuts. If you are going to buy a great focus fabric and two or three fabrics to go with it for the blocks get at least two yards of the focus fabric.

A queen size quilt averages around 10 yards for the top.
I agree with Queen. Plus, whenever you see something that just speaks to you, be sure to buy it, because you'll be thinking about it for weeks if you don't!!!

:mrgreen: :-P
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 PM

I can't remember where I heard it and maybe this has been mentioned already...
But...
If you really like it: buy 3 yards
if you like it: buy 2 yards
if you like it but aren't sure: buy 1 yard
I quite buying fat quarters unless for a specific project and have been happy buying yardage on colors I like best...but now I find I am short on pinks and yellows and oranges...
Kirsten
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I just went to our thrift shop and bought 10 and half yards of fabric for $6.oo. Did I need of it? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Just couldn't pass it up.