Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash Question... >

Stash Question...

Stash Question...

Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

I don't intend to have a huge stash and for the most part this is what I will probably do, but there have been times that I have wished I had a small stash to create some blocks or to just create something quick...

I am not sure people "intend" to have a large stash...but something happens and one day you wake up and your sewing room is FULL!!!! >sheepish grin< :oops: no idea how it happens....must be a fabric fairy somewhere :lol:
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Luv2Kreate
I don't plan on creating a HUGE over the top stash, but there are time I see fabrics that I just LOVE and don't buy at the time (thinking I will come back when I have a project to do with them) only to come back and find that the fabric is gone...!
I don't think any of us PLANNED on having an over the top stash. It just happens.

My stash is sorted generally by color and I keep it in a clear Rubbermaid bin. It is clear which colors I am not too fond of just by looking at the measly little bit in the stash bin.

You said that you have bought only for specific tops.....and I assume that you have "leftovers." Audit what would go good with that stash. Maybe punch it up with some brights and go from there.

I like to look at the keepsakequilting fatquarter batches in specific colors or specific patterns and I have supplemented my stash from those. For me there is no rule. If it's for fun, I might just buy an FQ. If I like it, I get about a yard, if I love it, I get up to 3 yards. If it could be a backing I get 5-ish. If it's on sale and I love it - heaven help me. lol

Don't fret. It takes a while to build a stash and part of the fun is actually going shopping for a project - but I'm sure you know that already.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM

Here is my two cents worth:

Stick to the 1/2 off rack, end-of-bolt and clearance for a while and only buy from those racks the fabric that is absolutely screaming at you!

You will buy less of what you don't need, if you need to be careful with spending (I am still trying that one!)

Eventually, your stash will get its own look as your taste in colors and patterns emerges.

When you buy, buy at least a yard and try to buy at least two fabrics that coordinate.

Several comments about focus fabrics, good background fabrics, and general purpose patterns have been excellent. If YOU think it looks like a backing fabric, then you just Know you need a really big piece.

Have fun,
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Hey, I always thought that creating the monster (oops, stash) was the best part of quilting.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimmom
Hey, I always thought that creating the monster (oops, stash) was the best part of quilting.
Well, yeah ... but ... hmmm ... uh ... I can't argue with that. :wink:
Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 AM

I think I started my stash because one of the chain fabric stores was closing and had a huge sale. I couldn't pass up the 75%-90% off pricing on the fabrics, so I grabbed a 1 or 2 yard of one or two fabrics that I liked even though I was not sure what I was going to do with them. Then I decided I needed coordinating fabrics to go with them in case I decided to use them in a quilt.

It just took off from there. Basically, if I see a fabric I like I try to buy at least a fat quarter of it.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM

What a wonderful discussion.

I started my stash long before I began quilting. It all started with an innocent trash bags of goodies from a quilter. Now, over the past few years, I've purchased lots of different patterns that I LOVE. Someday, I'll use them. When I have stuff that isn't as appealing, I put it in a free pile for my students to rummage through. I think it's completely personal choice but I am a scrap quilter, so I think it really helps to have a bigger stash. By the time I decide on a color scheme, the colors I want most of all are not in fashion. I do not buy solids ahead of time. I figure, I can find the perfect match easily and will wait for a good sale when I have a better idea of how much I'll really need. My stash is separated by color and I wouldn t'have it any other way. It's nice to shop in the sewing room when finances permit you from buying out the LQS....although the hubs knows it's my first stop should I ever win the lotto. LOL
:lol:
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 PM

PS
I am mad for 30s repros and they are not as widely available as they once were. Luckily, I have bits and pieces that I loved and bought without a purpose in mind and they've been just hanging out waiting for the perfect project years later.
:D
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM

I stock up about once a year at Walmart...just spent about $140 on Sunday for fleece, cotton, flannel, and batting. I buy 2 or so yards of each fabric so I'll have enough for just about any project.
Recently I gathered all my scraps and am in the process of making 2 dollie quilts. Still plenty more scraps for several other projects including a few comfort quilts. It's like it's "free" when it's from your scrap pile...too good to toss at the time, so I saved it! :roll:
Old 11-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Marsye, I love your new Avatar. Actually I liked your old one too.