Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash >

Stash

Stash

Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I can't hide a single thing cause I have run out of room. My DH keeps asking if I have enough yet, I just keep saying no not yet. I have a very small space for storage but it works for me.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:59 AM

I always tell 'em, my dh lets me have all the fabric I can sneak past him. When he sees it in my sewing room he asks if that is a new fabric, I usually tell him, naw, I had for some time (notice I did not specify how long a time). I got to start using up some of my stash though, I fear the quilting police will get me for aiding and abetting (?spelling) the fabric industry.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 PM

My sewing area is a royal mess right now, but I am working on putting some new stuff away. I bought 72" high x 48 cabinets for the stash a retired quilt artist gave me and now they are filled up and spilling over. I recently went to a country store in SE Ohio and bought fabric for $2.49/yd and will return because they are getting a new shipment in from Californi. A lot of what I find there is available at the local stores only priced much higher. So where will it all fit? Dunno....there must be a place somewhere. I have no more room for another cabinet. When the doors are closed and I am not working on anything, it's neat. As soon as I begin to work, it's a mess. Love being in my sewing "studio" though.

I don't like to store in plastic tubs but where the fabric can breathe, hence the cabinets. I do keep my projects and pieces in a nice storage box I pick up at WalMart for $3. They are great and can be stacked, carried, laid around. They are about the size of the expensive quilt project boxes at JoAnn's.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:47 PM

I have mine on the tall plastic shelves with clear plastic shower curtains around them to keep the 'dust?' off them. That way I can drool over them while I work on something else. Keep them out and enjoy them, that's part of the fun..Linda
Old 03-20-2010, 05:51 PM

A nice, tidy sewing room, What is that??? :shock:

"Creative minds are seldom tidy"... :roll:
Old 03-20-2010, 06:07 PM

I have taken one bedroom for my sewing room and my DH put shelves in the closet. My frabic is stacked in seperate colors.
When I want a color I know where to look . One day when I was sewing my DH came in and opened the closet door and looked for a few seconds and than said and I quote " Ada will you live long enough to use all the frabic you have."
Old 03-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Yes I do Hide most of my stash{ From My DD} as D's tind to want it and sons are not so unless they quilt too.DH goes fabric shopping with me. Yes my Sewing Studio is neat unless I'm in a rush but at night it's Pick up Time cause that's the way Momma always did her's. I Learned Well!!! :thumbup:
Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM

I prefer to work in an organized space. After reading many postings on here, I decided it was time to get my cotton stash pulled together. We had a bunch of cardboard from new appliances that I cut up into mini-bolts (8" x 11") (also got some from the fabric store I cut down). All (well 95% anyway) reside in my bookcase - the bigger yardage is hanging in the closet from skirt hangers. I have my tools and threads in plastic storage units or baskets. I took two shoe shelves and repurposed them on top of my bookcase for easy to reach storage for bobbins, feet, embroidery thread and my smaller pieces of fabric. Drapes coming soon for the bookcase to keep the light and pet hairs to a minimum. It inspires me to having everything organized. Now if I just had a place to put my third machine instead of on my cutting table.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20460.jpe  
Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

I have very little fabric, so not to worried about storage right now. more worried about not having what I need for a queen size quilt. but you all have neat storage ideals. Penny
Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Used to hang mine in the closet in the 2nd bedroom, then it got "evicted" to totes ... lots of them that are marked on the sides with the color. Oh, then there are the stacks that are on the upper shelves in the MBR closet; and those huge Ziplock storage bags that can get to be rather heavy. I discovered some [more] last year in a seldom-used dresser. It was great to sit down with it and get re-acquainted.

It's time to add on another room. I'm serious! :mrgreen: