Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: steam or dry when ironing startch?

I use steam an my Rowenta wouldn' think of dripping....haha

If I am starching the old fashioned way, I have a spritz bottle of water and dry iron. If I'm using the spray stuff I alternate as there is a lot of moisture in some of the brands already (depending on how cheap I was when I bought it).

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    If I use steam, it comes from water spritzed from a bottle and then ironed. I never, never put water in my iron because I've had too many that leaked and spit and sputtered ugly water on things after a few uses. My new iron has never had water in it to prevent that from happening.
    thats me. i think the worst i ever got mad with my then husband was when he put water in MY iron. mine, not his.

Blog Entries
    I have done it both ways, and I think I get a stiffer result, which I like, using it dry. I also like to spray my fabric & let it sit for a while to soak in before ironing.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I tend to use steam until the water runs out, then dry. lol
    Similar to my method. It's such long trek to the sink. Or I'm just lazy :mrgreen:
    Steam...and my solution to running out of water is to put water in a cleaned out CoffeeMate bottle. It sits out of the way within arms reach near my iron next to my sewing table.
    I like to minimize distance walking.... :P :P :P

I have a dry iron that does not take any water. I love using it when I use starch.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Dry Iron.. Too lazy to put water in my iron..

I like a little steam, but I too use a spritz bottle. I have an inexpensive Black and Decker iron that I LOVE because it gets nice and hot, but it sputters and leaks all over if I put water in it.

Blog Entries
    [quote=majormom]
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    I have a VERY old iron that I searched & searched for at antique shops & it gets so hot it will cook an egg! So I spritz a little bit of water on before I press & wha la it's done. Nothing like old irons! Don't like all the new fancy ones because they spit & leak all over the place.
    I have 5 of those old dry irons that I've accumulated from thrift stores over the years. Originally, I used them to iron linen tablecloths because the newer steam irons just didn't get hot enough to remove the wrinkles. Does anyone remember the Belgian Linen cut work dresser scarves, napkins and tablecloths?? They didn't get easy to iron until they were at least 10 or 15 years old :lol: :lol:. Now I keep a spray bottle of water handy to press everything. I'm hoping these irons will last the rest of my lifetime!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2