Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stella and Ott lights >

Stella and Ott lights

Stella and Ott lights

Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 AM

I use headlamps or the baseball caps with lights in the visors, I can see a lot better with them, they take up very little room and what ever direction my head is pointed is where my light is. It may not be stylish, but it sure is practical and gives me light exactly where I need it, ymmv.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM

I got the floor version of this lamp at Christmas, and like it very much: http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...D__D82349.HTML I would wait for a sale, though... even 20% off would be nice. It's like a Stella lamp in that it has temperature settings - you can choose warm, neutral or cool light settings. I like this, because I can see how my fabrics work together in different lights. The brightness is also adjustable; it gives lots of light on high, but can be scaled back if you need less so it isn't blinding you. It's an expensive lamp, but I think it's worth the money.

I find that Ott changes their model numbers fairly often, so I can't recommend a model. If you do go with Ott, I would get an LED one instead of fluorescent. I have an Ott lamp I take to retreats; I got it at Costco, where the price was better than I could get with a coupon at most stores.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:10 PM

I just had another thought. If you are looking for something to take to retreats, you might want to look into a cordless rechargeable lamp so you don't have to deal with having to plug it in, use an extention cord or whatever. I have a very small one that is good for small areas and runs on batteries that I bought last year at Quilt Festival.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
A lot of us use this little lamp from IKEA. Flexible neck and it's only $10. They also have a clip on model.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/
I have several of these, including desk top, clip on and floor model. I really like them all.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:04 PM

I bought a floor stand version of the Ott light to use by my ironing board from Amazon. It cost much less than Joann's even when they are having a 50% off sale and their coupons. So my recommendation is to shop around before you buy I also have a smaller desk version of Ott that I luckily ran across on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I think it had been returned, crazy low price. I've used it for maybe 4 or 5 years, same light bulb. Apparently, it's lucky that I haven't needed to replace it.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:43 PM

I have two Otts and 2 Stellas...I never use my OTTS.

Sandy
Old 01-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Like sandygirl, once I got a Stella, I never used my Ott again. Put it in the thrift box to get rid of it. I've had Stella for well over a year and so far, so good. I bought it on sale as a close out item. Pink, not my first choice in color for a lamp, but I'll overlook that for the great lighting.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 AM

The older we get, the more light is required to see. Save your sight....buy the light.

Marcia
Old 01-21-2017, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Like sandygirl, once I got a Stella, I never used my Ott again. Put it in the thrift box to get rid of it. I've had Stella for well over a year and so far, so good. I bought it on sale as a close out item. Pink, not my first choice in color for a lamp, but I'll overlook that for the great lighting.

When I need to use a "light box" for tracing...I lay my trusty Stella flat on the table under my acrylic extension table. Adjust the light accordingly.

the first time I laid eyes on a Stella I bought it! Never regretted it either. Styish, flexible, 12' cord, multiple light adjustments. Love it!

Sandy
Old 01-21-2017, 03:56 AM

This is the one I use and I have many of them all around my sewing area and by my recliner for hand work. My husband also has a couple for his stained glass area. We love them and they come in some very bright colors!

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
A lot of us use this little lamp from IKEA. Flexible neck and it's only $10. They also have a clip on model.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/