Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stella and Ott lights >

Stella and Ott lights

Stella and Ott lights

Old 01-21-2017, 03:59 AM

I have a goose neck LED that fastens to the machine but I've never put it on since I have a desk type Ott light. I paid too much for it but seemed like a good idea at the time. I wonder how it would pack up to go out of the house. But I have a floor model that looks like an Ott but isn't and I use it beside my recliner or when I'm hand quilting. Purchased it at ShopKo for a fraction of the price of an Ott and like it just as well. I believe they had desk models there. I purchased extra bulbs when I bought the lamp so not sure if they will be difficult to find if/when needed.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:11 AM

I have 2 ott floor lights and 2 flip up types. The bulb blew after years- but my JoAnns had the replacement. I was over $30, but i used a coupon and bought it. I keep that flip light next to me on the couch for hand work and use it every day! I have seen the Stella's at shows, but too pricey without a sale or coupon! I'll order one of those goosenecks from Ikea now!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:16 AM

quiltsRfun - the $10 IKEA light is also the one I have - love it.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:23 AM

I have an Ott lite with a bendable head (desk model) and love it. I went to a retreat and my sewing machine light went out. It was a lifesaver.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:45 AM

Love my Ikea lights....have 3 of them!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:39 AM

I have replaced all of my lighting in my sewing room with LED tract lights, all Daylight and lots of them. I had halogen and they were so hot. I can use more of the LED because they are low wattage and stay cool. Love, love, love. The only Ott ight that I kept was a spiral daylight regular base bulb in a cheap flexible floor lamp from Wal Mart. I have this bent over my sewing machine that has poorer lighting than my new one. I got this Ott spiral daylight bulb at Joann's for half price. Also, you can get little LED strip lighting that has adhesive backing and can be cut. I have put that on the inside of my older sewing/embroider machine and one of my sergers. (top of the throats). Since cataract surgeries I can see but I need good lighting. I love my Daylight LED lights!!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 AM

I have both the floor and desk ott light. I got them on sale at Joanns . I used my 50% off when they were on full price. I bought the floor lamp and the desk lamp was a bonus in the box. I love them both.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM

I have the floor model Ott light in my sewing room. I got it from JoAnns on sale. I love it. The only thing to remember is that it has a magnifying glass on it. If the sun shines thru it it will magnify the sunlight and whatever it hits will get quite hot. Someone on here said it almost started a fire on a chair. I cover the magnifying glass with a small drawstring fabric bag when not in use. My Ott light sits right next to a window.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM

I have a small flexible arm one that fits in a small round holder. The holder has adhesive that sticks to the front of the machine. I just leave it on the machine and move the arm to point at my presser foot, stitching line or at the seam I am unsewing (yes, I said unnsewing since that happens more than I like to admit). It is handy and gives a lot of light where I need it and it is not something extra to bother with. It was cheap and is available at a lot of places (Office Depot, Nancy's Notions, etc.).
Old 01-21-2017, 01:23 PM

I recently lost much of my sewing equipment in a basement flood (yes I was heart broken with the damage and the loss). My 3 sewing lights were damaged and I am in search of new ones so I appreciate all the tips and info that is offered here.

I had an Ott floor lamp with a magnifier that I liked and faithfully used at my sewing machine to light up and magnify the view of the machine bed but during the flood it had fallen over and was damaged. I have been looking at the variety of lights available but few are coupled with a good magnifier. My eyes are not what they used to be and I find the magnifier makes it so much easier with less eye strain.

Does anyone knw if the Stella, Surelight or Mighty Bright have a magnifier? Any reviews?