Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stencil + Pounce worthwhile? >

Stencil + Pounce worthwhile?

Stencil + Pounce worthwhile?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 AM

I can't comment on Pounce as I have never used it. I prefer washable markers. As for the FMQ, it isn't near as easy as they make it look on the videos. You definitely need lots of practice to get the tension correct, stitch length consistent and the hands trained to move the fabric under the needle - not the needle over the fabric like we do with paper/pen (that was the hardest part for me). Once the brain cooperates, then the rest comes easier. Following a line is not as easy as you would think - much easier to practice a pattern on a white board with dry erase markers until you train the brain, then stitch on fabric. Make lots....and I do mean lots.... of practice sandwiches (maybe 18"x18" with cheap fabric/batting) to get started on FMQ before you ever attempt to do your beautiful quilt.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 AM

I love the quilt. I have one cut out BUT it is drive me MAD try to get it peiced, just can seam to make my mind get around the pattern. and it is your second one. do you have any hint that can help me getting my together?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 AM

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but there is a company I recently bought stencils from called The Full Line (they have a website under the same name) - they sell the coolest fabric stencils...and also those white marking pencils that disappear when you iron them. My only complaint about the pounce is the tendency for the chalk to wear off before quilting...but the pencils are wonderful - no disappearing! They have all over stencils too which I bought a few of, they are kind of like pantographs.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM

You can always make your own stencil and pounce. I love using them because it makes things very easy for me.

BTW that is a beautiful quilt top!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
I love the quilt. I have one cut out BUT it is drive me MAD try to get it peiced, just can seam to make my mind get around the pattern. and it is your second one. do you have any hint that can help me getting my together?
What part is difficult for you? I will help with anything that I can... I was going to type out everything I had learned along the way, but it was starting to get really long so I am giving up before I write a novel. Feel free to IM/email me.

Although one thing I want to note... Now that I am down to the last few rows of the quilt, I am finding myself ripping seams on the units I have left and rearranging a few so that I don't end up with similar/same colors too close together, and I have ended up buying a little additional fabric that went well with my jelly roll to add in some extra options. So, I suggest picking up a few extra fabrics that go well with your jelly roll and making more units than the pattern calls for so that you have extra options left over at the end.

Last edited by romille; 08-12-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingsupport View Post
You can always make your own stencil and pounce. I love using them because it makes things very easy for me.
BTW that is a beautiful quilt top!
Would you please tell us how you make your stencils??
... I'm looking for different ways this can be done.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by fallonquilter View Post
...........I have the best luck with liquid SPRAY CHALK. (Magic Marking or June Taior's stencil Marking spray at JoAnns ) You can use any stencil and lightly spray with the liquid chalk. It drys right away and STAYS ON. Unlike pounce that rubs off. After you are done you can either use a spray bottle with water to take off the chalk or wash the quilt.........
Thanks for this idea ... I don't know if we can get this product here in Canada or not, but I am intrigued. Does the spray chalk dissolve and disappear merely with the spray of the water? Or do you spray, then rub to remove?

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-12-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I do use a pounce. I don't like all-over quilting, so I will FMQ old pattern on plain squares. I mix straight, SITD, and FMQ as I think the quilt calls for.

I need a tool that will perforate computer paper. I prefer to do the simple border shapes on the computer and resize as necessary. It's a major pain to use the point of a seam ripper to perforate the paper. The Dritz pattern tracer almost does it, but not quite.
I have used sheets of plain plastic and a huge size unthreaded needle in the machine to make the pattern!