Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticker Shock >

Sticker Shock

Sticker Shock

Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
I went to Joanns this past Sat ... This brassy woman came wheeling her cart up to the cutting table and told the JA employee that she was returning some fabric and it needed to be measured before the cashier would refund her money.....so the employee started measuring this fabric and writing her up a "ticket".....
Wait Wait Wait, aren't we all in that line for fabric to be measured ???? I eventually waited 40 minutes to have my little bit of fabric measured and cut.....
I really like the number system because once I get a number I get look around, look at patterns, etc...but really don't want someone to abuse system either ! When I finally got to have my turn I asked JA employee why that woman was allowed to do that and she just rolled her eyes.....and said some folks don't think the system is for them !
No, it was that EMPLOYEE'S job to inform the pushy customer that she needed to TAKE A NUMBER in line ! (or the Mgr should have come to "measure" her fabric returns) :roll:
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM

peggi..sorry you are so far away from ja but lordy girl,there is no way i would drive that much unless i spent a substancial amount of money..i have shopped at ja for years but am getting increasingly disgusted with them..i now do a little more online..plenty of sales and often free shipping..check out connecting threads or one thousand bolts..of course i support all my lqs..i find ja fabric inferior..it looks pretty on the bolt but it is thin,off grain and shrinks alot..i have a budget set for myself so i buy the best,not neccesarily the most..good luck
Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 PM

I too had sticker shock on the price of W & N. Someone on the board suggested Fabric Depot and yes, their prices are lower!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM

I just got an e-mail from Fabric Depot, all pkged W&N is 50% off. Queen is now $15.00. Time for me to see what I have left and order. I did not look to see anything about shipping, but if you combine with a friend and split cost, the WAY TO GO!!!
Originally Posted by Doreen
I too had sticker shock on the price of W & N. Someone on the board suggested Fabric Depot and yes, their prices are lower!
:-D
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I just ordered a lot of batting at Connecting Threads...now I have no excuse for not finishing my UFOs. I have lots of quilt tops finished, but have never machine quilted. It's scary, but exciting to anticipate actually quilting.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Another place if someone orders batting by the yard/bolt. A little town, Oklee, MN, is Oklee Guilting. They ship out lots of bolts. I have not ordered a bolt from them for many years so do not know how it compares. I love going there, a small farming town , they don't have a lg fabric inventory but what they have is good prices, and just the atmosphere is wonderful. They do have a web site, maybe it is Oklee Quilting and Supply. Another fun place.
Originally Posted by Shoofly1
Thanks for starting this thread. I just ordered a lot of batting at Connecting Threads...now I have no excuse for not finishing my UFOs. I have lots of quilt tops finished, but have never machine quilted. It's scary, but exciting to anticipate actually quilting.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM

I know what you mean about "afford to save money". When we moved to the DFW area I went crazy with all the outlet shops (At the time Sears, M. Wards, Fisher Price, etc) There was an Underground shopper Magazine--I spent so much to save so much. Now I've progressed--really the kids grew up. But now I've found the fabric warehouses on Harry Hines Blvd. in Dallas. They sell to the public--Wow. What saves me is all the traffic and construction going on now so I don't go often.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Try searching "batt-mart" or the below direct link for batting---every kind you can think of. I'm going to try Dream Cotton (white)----that's sold in my local quilt shop. It's very high priced there (but seems to be wonderful from seeing it at the quilt shop), but I see the prices are condiserably cheaper on this web site. You might find the kind you like using there. I ordered 2 days ago so I can't tell you about the service yet. Here's the link I wrote down just in case I couldn't find batt-mart: storesonline.com/site/490194/page/94160=Batt-Mart

hope this helps you!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 AM

I bought my Innova from a quilt shop in the Houston, Texas area. She has a warm and natural type batting for half the price. I used some of it in a class I took there and It is really nice. The name of the website is Quiltfrog.com
I don't think it is listed on the website but you can find contact info there. The owners name is Carrie. She will sell mailorder. She also has King Tut thread and several others.