Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stitch in the ditch foot-opinions please

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Stitch in the ditch foot keeps you close to the ditch, but you need a walking foot to make the fabric feed smoothly. Just my opinion of course....
    "close to" the seam. but I can't get it into it with my SID foot. I use a wide foot or my walking foot to help "mash" down both side of the seam. Ooh, but I'm getting my new Pfaff soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Stitch in the ditch foot keeps you close to the ditch, but you need a walking foot to make the fabric feed smoothly. Just my opinion of course....
    "close to" the seam. but I can't get it into it with my SID foot. I use a wide foot or my walking foot to help "mash" down both side of the seam. Ooh, but I'm getting my new Pfaff soon!
    You are going to LOVE your new machine. I found the biggest difference in my stitch-in-the-ditch foot and narrow-edge foot for the Pfaff is the needle opening. I prefer the narrow-edge foot because it is all metal and has the largest opening for needle. I can use more than just a straight stitch with it as well as moving my needle and using it for top stitching.

The other foot has a small round hole and is mostly plastic but the "blade" is a little longer. I like the visibility of the plastic but I'm more of a "multi-function" type so I like feet that allow me to do more than one specific thing.

Maybe you will be lucky enough to test drive and compare the two feet like I did before I bought. My Pfaff dealer is great about things like that (they were the ones who pointed out the differences).

i have just used the stitch in the ditch foot shorter one [pfaff+idt]for sewing on a drawn lines across the diagonals for pinwheel blocks---was a fantastic help also can be used in heirloom type sewing strips together

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have the first one for the Pfaff and it is great. Now I wonder if the second one may be easier to use since it combines the open foot (better visibility) with the seam guide?

I always worry about the really small needle holes which make moving the needle off center limiting (to me anyway). I wish my 1/4 inch bladed foot had a larger needle opening for my piece of mind. Of course, I really wanted to use it for a 3/8 inch seam but that's another story.

I have not had good results with SID foot. I went back to walking foot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    You are going to LOVE your new machine. I found the biggest difference in my stitch-in-the-ditch foot and narrow-edge foot for the Pfaff is the needle opening. I prefer the narrow-edge foot because it is all metal and has the largest opening for needle. I can use more than just a straight stitch with it as well as moving my needle and using it for top stitching.

The other foot has a small round hole and is mostly plastic but the "blade" is a little longer. I like the visibility of the plastic but I'm more of a "multi-function" type so I like feet that allow me to do more than one specific thing.

Maybe you will be lucky enough to test drive and compare the two feet like I did before I bought. My Pfaff dealer is great about things like that (they were the ones who pointed out the differences).
    I'm so fortunate to have found an Exp 3.0 with all the extra attachments including a single hole plate! The person who bought it 4 days before returned it to get the 4.0!! So I got it for $1,000!!! as if new with all the warranties, lessons and etc. Just have to get it out of lay-a-way! Have a 35yr old Pfaff and love it! (as well as a little chap Brother. Can't wait!!

just bpought one for an old Pfaff I have, but I haven't had time to use it yet

Thanks for all the opinions. A Pfaff is not in my budget atm so I think I will probably go with the short guide foot. If I hate it I won't have invested a great amt. of money and I can always go back to my trusty walking foot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swan Song
    Thanks for all the opinions. A Pfaff is not in my budget atm so I think I will probably go with the short guide foot. If I hate it I won't have invested a great amt. of money and I can always go back to my trusty walking foot.
    And maybe you could return it for the other one!

Swan Song, I don't know what brand your machine is or where you plan on purchasing the foot but some places will let you "test drive" and compare. You might call ahead and take a couple small blocks that you could repurpose into potholders or something to see which one you really like. I find that I will sometimes like something because it suits my purpose. Both those feet have larger openings so you should be able to use wider stitch widths with them. That means it would be a plus for anything like heirloom sewing, piecing batting together, etc. So it might come down to whichever one allows to to see the most comfortably and that is a personal choice.

I have 2 Brothers. A PQ1500S and an SQ9000. The foot will work for both machines. The PQ I bought to use with my Handi Quilter which still lives in a box since I have no space for it atm. :? When I bought it I had room now I have to rearrange some part of a room to set it up or hope one of my remaining 2 birds will leave the nest sometime soon (like that is going to happen :roll: ) I figured I would use the foot for a couple small projects I have. On a large quilt I think a walking foot would be the way to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappycats
    I got one with a big "plow" and love that
    Me too! much easier to see where your going.
    i also use it to piece left over batting..no waste here.
    you just butt both pieces to the bar, and do a zigzag stitch!

Blog Entries
    i use mine for topstitching
    dont stitch in the ditch as im so bad at it

Blog Entries
    I have much better luck with SID when using the walking foot.

If you are quilting in the ditch, a walking foot would be better than either one. Both fabrics will be fed through at
    the same rate.

Why I didn't know there was a stitch in the ditch foot! I better look into this!

I use the shorter one with my Pfaff and love it.

I have a foot like the 'short' one for my Pfaff and really like it---had on like the long one and it broke the second time I used it---good luck

I always use my walking foot. I didn't know there was a SID foot. I haven't felt a need for one. My SID isn't perfect, of course, but I don't think it would be even with this foot. Like everything else, it just takes practice.

I have decided to get one of these. Here is my question- There seems to be 2, one the original design and a redesigned foot. The redesigned has a smaller guide. Has anyone used one? If so which do you think would be the better of the 2? Here are pics of both. Thanks for opinions in advance. :-)
    Looks like a Stitch in the ditch foot. Some of the women in my classes LOVE them, some not so much. But, I'd go with the shorter blade as I think it would be easier to manuever.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy
    I have a stitch in the ditch foot and really don't like it - I still use the walking foot when doing the stitch in ditch -- the foot doesn't work as well as the walking foot.
    I agree!

I have started using my zipper foot. It works great for me but I am going to look into getting a 'stitch in the ditch' foot. Didn't know they made one!

The top foot looks like the Edge Joining Foot. It works well for stitching in the ditch. Like the others have stated, the walking foot or even feed foot, does a very good job on stitching in the ditch because it keeps the fabric moving evenly.

Suzy

Blog Entries
    I have decided to get one of these. Here is my question- There seems to be 2, one the original design and a redesigned foot. The redesigned has a smaller guide. Has anyone used one? If so which do you think would be the better of the 2? Here are pics of both. Thanks for opinions in advance. :-)
    Thats interesting. This foot looks like my 1/4 in foot. Which will not let you sew in the middle of fabric. You have to be on the edge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast