Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stitch in the ditch foot-opinions please

I have decided to get one of these. Here is my question- There seems to be 2, one the original design and a redesigned foot. The redesigned has a smaller guide. Has anyone used one? If so which do you think would be the better of the 2? Here are pics of both. Thanks for opinions in advance. :-)

short guide
    Name:  Attachment-111562.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  8.3 KB

long guide
    Name:  Attachment-111563.jpe
Views: 87
Size:  4.7 KB

Blog Entries
    I got one with a big "plow" and love that

Blog Entries
    It looks like you can see better with the 2nd picture, but it could also make it easier to bend. I don't know which is better. I am sure more people will let us know.

Banned
    i would prefer the first one. The shorter guide might be easier to maneuver over and beside your seams.

I have a stitch in the ditch foot and really don't like it - I still use the walking foot when doing the stitch in ditch -- the foot doesn't work as well as the walking foot.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Stitch in the ditch foot keeps you close to the ditch, but you need a walking foot to make the fabric feed smoothly. Just my opinion of course....

I'm spoiled -- I certainly wouldn't want to stitch in the ditch without a SID foot and I do use the IDT (walking foot).

Blog Entries
    It looks like 1/4" foot. I use the one on my Pfaff for piecing.

I like the longer one personally.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    i would prefer the first one. The shorter guide might be easier to maneuver over and beside your seams.
    I have the first one, and like it because when you come to an intersection it is easier to maneuver it over the bulk, or turn a corner, whichever you need to do. That long one could be a problem.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I'm spoiled -- I certainly wouldn't want to stitch in the ditch without a SID foot and I do use the IDT (walking foot).
    I think only Pfaff lets you do that.....

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    It looks like 1/4" foot. I use the one on my Pfaff for piecing.
    I use one on my Pfaff too, but the knife on this one is not on the edge like mine. I quess that is for ease in SID.

Blog Entries
    Okay.

The Bernia has a foot like that #10. I use it for paper piecing. I never have used a foot for stitching in the ditch. I just eyeball it but it bears looking into with all these feet that I have.

Blog Entries
    The bottom one is exactly like my 1/4" foot from my Janome. The top one is a sid foot.

I've never heard of a stitch in the ditch foot and have always used a walking foot. Are you sure your not talking about a 1/4" foot?

I have the first one and I love it--it really helps me stay in "the ditch" and my stiches don't accidentally wander off the path. I think the longer one would be more difficult to manuver.

I quess that I am confused. I thought that you always used a "walking foot" when doing SID or other straight line top stitching or putting on binding since it allows both top and bottom fabric to move together. I do SID with my walking foot using invisible thread on top and matching thread to the backing on the bottom. the top stitches can hardley be seem and I just go slow and eyeball the "ditch".

I have both of these feet but prefer using my walking foot but that's just my comfort level :)

I have the smaller one, came with my machine. I don't really use it for stitch in the ditch, but it's wonderful for doing any diagonal work. Guides you right along.

In my opinion, I think the blade on the second foot is less stable than the one one the first. I have purchased both styles for different machines and my shorter bladed foot is by far the better in the long run.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I quess that I am confused. I thought that you always used a "walking foot" when doing SID or other straight line top stitching or putting on binding since it allows both top and bottom fabric to move together. I do SID with my walking foot using invisible thread on top and matching thread to the backing on the bottom. the top stitches can hardley be seem and I just go slow and eyeball the "ditch".
    I like the walking foot too, but sometimes I use the SID foot if I want my stitching to be perfectly invisible. I don't like invisible thread for most things, wallhangings okay, but not for quilts. I don't like the feel of it. And sometimes after it has been in the dryer a lot it gets kinda funky.

I'm lucky because my "stitch in the ditch" foot IS a walking foot on a Pfaff (it uses the IDT if you want it to) so I don't have to decide. The official name for my foot is the "narrow edge foot" and I think some machines might call them an "edge joining foot" (just in case you can't find a "stitch in the ditch" foot for your machine).

The foot I have for my Pfaff is called a Stitch in the Ditch Foot w/IDT and I just love it. It makes my life so much easier.

http://www.pfaffusa.com/media/Projec...Foot_w_IDT.pdf

I have 2, but I am not at my machine...I think they both look about the same. However, of the 2 I have...one is for guiding on the right hand side of the fabric and the other is for the left edge. You can tell by the grooves underneath. Is it possible that one of these is for left-edge topstitching? That sure comes in handy sometimes!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast