Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stitch in the ditch foot-opinions please

Don't get this the Stitch in the ditch foot confused with the 1/4 inch foot. Some look similar but the difference is where the blade is located. The 1/4 inch foot blade runs along the edge and the Stitch in the ditch foot blade runs down the center of the foot.

I had the first one....didn't have it long, but I killed it. The guide came off, and won't go back on. I did love the guide though. I'll get another one, but if I kill this one, I'll just eye it.

I use the first one with my Pfaff. That and the 1/4" foot with the blade are probably the most used feet I have. Love them both. I also use the SID foot as a guide for sewing binding by moving the needle just a hair to the right. The second foot is the same as the one I have on my Brother 1500, but I don't care for it...the fabric bunches up at the tip of the blade.

I love this foot with the guide on it and bought one for my daughter in law to help her with her seam allowances. It is wonderful!!!

Okay, I am confused, what does a SID foot do, I just recently bought the Baby lock Quest Quilters Plus and it came with this foot and 16 other feet. Fairly new to quilting and interested learning all that I can.
    Thank you, JoAnn

I have the first one. Its easy to lift and turn corners. It makes SID a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by jolong47
    Okay, I am confused, what does a SID foot do, I just recently bought the Baby lock Quest Quilters Plus and it came with this foot and 16 other feet. Fairly new to quilting and interested learning all that I can.
    Thank you, JoAnn
    JoAnn...When you are stitching in the ditch (SID), you want to run a line of stitching as close as possible to the seams in your quilt. The blade in the middle of the foot is run just alongside that seam and because the needle runs right behind the blade, you get an even and straight line of stitching just next to the seam. Then the quilt is washed, that line of stitching is barely noticable.

Showing placement of the SID foot next to seam
    Name:  Attachment-112783.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  26.9 KB

Showing 2 seams of stitching
    Name:  Attachment-112784.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  30.7 KB

Thank you Barbara,
    I printed your reply just so I could use it as a reference

Power Poster
    I use my walking foot and love it. No problems using it.

Dee
    I have the #1 one. I have no problem using it.

They look like my Pfaff feet. I have used the top one very successfully with the IDT on - perhaps the new, longer furrow- plough bit will help you to get the ditch ready sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by jolong47
    Thank you Barbara,
    I printed your reply just so I could use it as a reference
    You are welcome...I'm glad it helped.

[quote=Linda B]I'm spoiled -- I certainly wouldn't want to stitch in the ditch without a SID foot and I do use the IDT (walking foot).[/quote

does the walking foot have a SID bar on it ?

Blog Entries
    It has always surprised me that this type of foot is called a SITD foot. It's not for SITD over a quilt sandwich - you would need to use a walking foot so the fabric feeds evenly (as others have already mentioned). It would be incredible if they could make walking feet with some kind of "guide blade" like this. I would buy one in a heartbeat!

I do have one of these feet and use them for straight line stitching while piecing. They are wonderful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy
    I have a stitch in the ditch foot and really don't like it - I still use the walking foot when doing the stitch in ditch -- the foot doesn't work as well as the walking foot.
    I too have a quilt in the ditch foot, I have found that the big one gets caught when you come to the corners so I think the short one would be the better of the two. i also use the walking foot which is easier if you can put the needle over to where the little tip sticks out. How about seeing if a friend has one and try them both out. You can see which you like the best.

I have the shorter foot and like it. It is much easier to pivot on a corner and to know where to stop. The longer guide gets in the way of my sight to know where to do these things.

I have a Pfaff 7550 (about 15 years old) just upgraded to a Pfaff 2.0. I have all the feet but just can't get used to the SID foot, just my eyesight. So I have been using an Open Toed Applique Foot, (for years) I can see exactly where that stitich is going. Of course it does help if you have the built in IDT.
    If you want to have a practice you can try increasing your stitch length, sometimes this helps if you don't have a walking foot.

Annya, whereabouts in Queensland are you?????

Same here. I have one for my Janome 9000 & keep going back to the walking foot
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy
    I have a stitch in the ditch foot and really don't like it - I still use the walking foot when doing the stitch in ditch -- the foot doesn't work as well as the walking foot.

I would go with the one with the long plow, however that is only because my eyes are not that good. I wear glasses and they don't seem to get better with age! LOL

TreeFrog

I have used the shorter "keel" style for years..... long before I started quilting .
    The longer "keel" would be very difficult to manuever around curves, and turning corners would also be "interesting".
    BTW, this foot was originally called an "edge joining" foot. It became popular back when there was a trend to use several different trims/ribbons in groups on vests/jackets. By placing the two different trims on either side of the center "keel" you could center a decorative stitch on the two to sew them down at the same time.
    I also love this foot for stitching just at the edge of something. Like a pocket on a shirt. If you can move your needle just a bit to the left, the "keel" can ride the edge of the pocket and your stitching can be very close to the edge and very straight.

The "keel" on the right side of the foot, often called a quarter inch foot, is an edge stitching foot. Wonderful for all sorts of things.

These are two feet that I will always have in my collection for any machine I own.

Pati, in Phx

I live outside Gatton on the Warrego Highway

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I've never heard of a stitch in the ditch foot and have always used a walking foot. Are you sure your not talking about a 1/4" foot?
    You re correct it is a 1/4 foot but
    The little blake blade makes it a SID foot also.

I use my blind hem foot.

The bottom one is a sid foot from janome. I used mine once, the piece that rides in the ditch was flimsy and moved as I sewed. So my needle kept hitting it. Never used it again. I really like the concept of it. The top one looks like it is put together better and wouldn't have that problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast