Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch >

Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the Ditch

Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM

I think SITD is the easiest way to quilt. You just follow the line that's already there.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Helovesme
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
This is how I learned to do it and I'm SO glad to know that there is someone out there that meanders out of the ditch, too! :thumbup:
I thought meandering was part of the technique!

:lol:
I just bought a SID foot for my machine. It's helped to eliminate a lot of the meandering technique I perfected :lol:
Old 08-27-2011, 05:17 PM

I use fancy stitches because I can't sew straight either, the decorations looks just neat, and the walking foot works just fine.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 PM

I usually SITD. I use a walking foot and just guide the quilt through the needle. It misses sometime, but that's okay. The secret is starting in the middle and going both directions. You have to get the back taut no matter what you do. Otherwise you have puckers. Thre are lots of ways to quilt your quilt. You should try several methods and decide what you like to do best. Be sure to get the walking foot for your machine. It is a gift to be able to get the quilt to feed evenly.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
:lol:
I don't need the wine to miss the ditch! LOL!
I think stitching in the ditch is difficult and slow because it takes so much care to do it right, I prefer to echo stitch. starting with at least 1/4" away from the seam.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 PM

When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

U r so funny, I laughed on this......u made my day for sure and thanks for the info. I have been wanting to buy a pressure foot for this to put on my Singer, but have not yet. Do u really need to buy one or can u just stitch like u say??????
Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Just read an echo stitch is good 1/4" from the seam, never heard of that before....interesting, thanks for the info
Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by GladGrams
OMG :| Were you caught SUI? What was the fine?

SUI - "Stitching Under the Influence"
U all are so funny.....I am laughing again, just loved your statement here..... :lol:
Old 08-27-2011, 07:44 PM

My machine has a serpentine stitch that I especially like to use instead of quilting in the ditch. It goes from one side to the other and looks very nice even if it is off a hair or so.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 PM

I have done the sitd , I sew for my own pleasure,sometimes it is pretty straight and sometimes not .You can't learn if you don't try, I am making a PIG, for our next quilt show, What is a PIG? It is a project in a GROCERY SACK. actually it is something some one started and never finished for what ever reason, You agree to finish it and then it is sold at our quilt show, I am doing my first shadow quilting it is si fun, The project looked so dull but with the quilting around it it is quite nice, so we need to venture out of our safe area and do it any way :roll: