Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch >

Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the Ditch

Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM

One of the ladies at my LQS told me she meanders when she SID and that way if she makes a mistake and slips outside of the seam it is intentional. Hey it works for me.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:47 AM

IMHO I feel Stitch in the Ditch should be in the ditch, not on top of it. I place my stitches right next to the seam on the side with 2 layers of fabric. This creates a nice shadowed effect to the quilting. If I stitch on top of the ditch, I'm going thru 4 layers of fabric and seam allowances, and it gets all flattened.
Whatever you do though, I think it looks better if you stick to one side or the other so that it looks the same. To my eye it looks sloppy when the stitches switch around from IN the ditch to the TOP of the ditch. IMHO of course :-)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
No acronym, but there should be.
ROFLWTIME!!!!!! :D :D :D
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM

I love SID because it accents the piecing!! However it is hard on the machine. I still try very hard to stay on the low side.:) I was so stupid that when I first started piecing I would hand quilt on top of the ditch. We are always learning!! I've been hand quilting on "cheater" clothes for years!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM

When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
MAD is a acronym for meandering around the ditch. LOL
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Boy am I glad to know I am not alone ...
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
As far as I'm concerned, SID sounds easy but is not. I'm with MadQuilter. I meander around the seam.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM

And my poor SITD has a tendency to be both places when I use my HQ16. So I avoid it like crazy. I just can't do it without a lot more practice and I always want to do other stuff first so don't practice.

So I just tell myself that I like whatever I do and my g-kids are ALWAYS happy with it.

Kathy
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 PM

OMG :| Were you caught SUI? What was the fine?

SUI - "Stitching Under the Influence"
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM

I guess we can all say our SID is our own little Drunkard's Path???

Kathy
Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by schuffle
I guess we can all say our SID is our own little Drunkard's Path???

Kathy
:roll: Just keep your needle in control--no speeding