Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch >

Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the Ditch

Old 08-27-2011, 07:09 AM

Great information from all. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 AM

If it's for a rag quilt...that I would do right next to the seam. The SID on pieced quilts, as others have mentioned...is put into the seam, as your seam allowance is pressed to one side, causing one side of the seam to be higher than the other. If I were to press the seams open (like in clothing construction...I'd choose to SID beside the seam, as stitching in the seam may break threads in the stitched seam.
Marge C

Originally Posted by EmsMom
I have checked out some info online re: using the stitch in the ditch method of quilting for a D9P. (I have only made one rag quilt so far, so please excuse my ignorance).

I have read that SID is directly on the seam and I have read that SID is "next" to not on the seam??? So now I am confused LOL Is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
One of the famous quilting experts who was on Sewing with Nancy, can't remember which one, says she uses a small zig zag stitch so that she catches both sides of the ditch. I've tried that and I like it. I've also used one of the decorative stitches on my machine, set for a wide stitch to sitd. I like that way too. I just bought a sitd foot but i haven't used it yet. Not sure how that would work since you wouldn't be using a walking foot. Anybody have experience with this foot and your backing "creeping?"
I watching Sewing w/Nancy this morning showing the layering of the quilt before quilting. Her suggestion was using small strips of fusible web, placing them on the back of the top and the backing, then removing the backing paper and pressing the 3 layers (done is sections to keep things taut and even). It went really fast and looked much easier on the hands and possible the knees than using pins or basting.

I've also used blue tape when I quilt straight lines of any type -- following the edge is much easier on my eyes and disposition. I stitch next to the ditch on the "low" side because I got into the habit when I only did hand quilting.

The biggest thing about quilting is enjoying it. Don't get too stressed out about the 'quilt patrol' unless they'll be receiving the quilt!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 AM

IN the ditch means just that - IN THE SEAM, RIGHT OVER THE SEAM'S STITCHES. My answer is from several quilt judges over the course of several years' worth of shows.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
The acronym is QUI "quilting under the influence" :)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM

I have also heard that using your sepentine stitch (if you machine has one) along the ditch looks nice.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mzzzquilts
I liked the idea somebody had of using the zig-zag stitch to "stitch in the ditch"...then you're on both sides...just drive it down the middle :)
I like this idea since my SID is not always as straight as it should be. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

SID is one of my preferred machine quilting stitch - along side cross hatching. I really never thought about quilting on the seam, beside the seam, etc. However, having watched Georgia Bonesteel on cable, she uses a narrow zig-zag stitch when she does SID. So, if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for the rest of us, as she's a nationally known quilter, although she usually hand quilts everything. Take your pick with the options and remember - THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE, only other quilters who will oooh and aaah over your beautiful quilt.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM

I just finished my first quilt class teacher said, zig-zag
small stich and use invisable thread works great.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
No acronym, but there should be.