Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch >

Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the Ditch

Old 08-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Banned

Technically S (stitch) I (in the) D (ditch) is just that - a stitch that is almost invisible just off the fold of the seam between two blocks or pieces in the block. In quilts being judged, the judge will look at the precision of the stitch such as the evenness and invisibiity with thread that matches the base. Stitching on the fold can be done but technically it is not in the ditch, neither is quilting 1/8" or 1/4" away from the seam. The stitch can be done on the fold but should be carefully aligned and not weave on and off the edge of the fold. A quilter can quilt any of these three methods but should remember the stitch can contribute to the overall design and if wobbly can detract. There have been some statements made indicating one can't keep the stitch either in the ditch or straight. Probably the best advice for correcting this is to slow down and keep control of the piece being quilted. I find that when I go fast then the stitch appears to have a mind of it's own and goes where I don't want it to go.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 AM

No Quilt Police here do what is better for you
Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 AM

I'm a hand quilter and I sometimes stitch in the shadow (1/4" from seam).
Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
As far as I'm concerned, SID sounds easy but is not. I'm with MadQuilter. I meander around the seam.
I agree. I always say I stitch somewhere in the neighborhood of the ditch. But if you have a small harp it is pretty much the only option.
LOL this sounds like me. It is not the easy thing folks think buyt for many years after I started quilting on the machine that is all I did and some of those quilts are still around. I have learned to meander a bit now.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 AM

There is a stitch-in-the-ditch foot for my Pfaff Creative Vision. It has a guide that you keep in the groove of the seam and it stitches right in the ditch, perfectly. And being as the Pfaff has the built in walking foot, it works great. Some other machines might have these feet, too.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM

One of the famous quilting experts who was on Sewing with Nancy, can't remember which one, says she uses a small zig zag stitch so that she catches both sides of the ditch. I've tried that and I like it. I've also used one of the decorative stitches on my machine, set for a wide stitch to sitd. I like that way too. I just bought a sitd foot but i haven't used it yet. Not sure how that would work since you wouldn't be using a walking foot. Anybody have experience with this foot and your backing "creeping?"
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Originally Posted by mzzzquilts
I liked the idea somebody had of using the zig-zag stitch to "stitch in the ditch"...then you're on both sides...just drive it down the middle :)
I like that idea, too but I don't think it would work with a walking foot.
Are you kidding? If I hit the ditch only occasionally I send up a rousing shout of success! I think SID is really hard and even though I'm doing a quilt now that would really be great done in SID (if it was done right), it won't be - it will be done with meandering.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 AM

Why don't you try a zig zag stitch over the seam? That's what I did when I started because no mistakes will show and you can just follow the seam and not have to worry about it not showing where it shouldn't. Very easy for beginners!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by EmsMom
Thanks Everyone! Madquilter -- too funny!

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew since I am newer than new at this. Maybe I will investigate some other methods of quilting my first "real" quilt....
I have fallen back in the habit of stitching in the ditch, and find it much simpler than the beautiful patterns I see other people stitch.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
:lol:
Someone very clever needs to supply the acronym!