Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM

I went to Joanns and Hancocks to look for Sulky 12 wt. thread--they don't carry it. Also some 60 wt threads for those who do the heavy stitching quilting. No one carries it here and it has to be special ordered. Floriani has fabulous stabilizers and instructions on how to use it as well as high quality threads. My sewing machine shop carries them and they pull in tons of $$ after one of their seminars as to how to use their products and get great success with their embroideries. They have been in business for 3 or more generations. If you have some serious embroidery people out there with machines that do embroidery or the professionals--they really support the business here.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM

I've got my little fantasy of owning my own quilt shop in the abandoned doctor's office across the street from my home. I would call it the Quilt "N" Basket and each month would have a drawing to win a basket filled with notions, fat quarters, patterns, and thread. Customers would get an entry for the drawing for each $20 spent.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Lots of blenders and tone on tone prints in different shades of every color. You would not believe the problem I'm having just finding a cream tonal and a tan tonal for setting triangles and a border. I finally found a cream tonal but after using it for the setting triangles on 2 blocks, I realized it's too thin and hard to sew with, so back to the hunt.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM

I agree with a Quilt day where people can bring things to finish together. Also, classes - classes - classes - classes! Just your description in your opening paragraph sounds like a "dream store" - how long before you could franchise??

I think everybody is tossing in some good ideas.

Marysewfun
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
Originally Posted by Lori S
Great Lighting. One of the LQS by me has the worst lighting. In order to really see the fabric true colors you have to go outside ( that hoping its good weather) , or right by the door.
I once went to a really need shop that had fabric and pie , now that was a great combination. It was half fabric half pie shop. They had great pie and great fabric.
oh... I have to agree with this one. We have a fantastic quilt shop in an old church called Parkland Parish quilts. ... I hate shopping there though. Their lighting is absolutely horrible and it makes for a boring and eyestraining shop. In fact, I almost never shop there because of it.

I would also like to add that my eyesight is not so wonderful either and as I have experienced many of us struggle with this aspect when sewing. If we cannot comparatively match our fabrics, what is the purpose?
I was there yesterday, and I agree. Some areas were well lit with natural light (windows) and other areas were dark. But I did like the store. It's in a very old church with creaky floors.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Definitely some seats.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Punch cards. I like the ones that give you punches for the amount of money you spend, rather than full yards of fabric purchased. I buy lots of fat quarters, patterns, kits, etc and it would be nice to receive credit for that:-)

BTW, are you sure you don't want to relocate to Western Washington? It's beautiful here and we could use another lqs around here! I know lots of quilters, so you'd have PLENTY of business!!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:54 PM

I was in a LQS and they had a special area for the bolts to stay while you are still shopping..they made up little bean bags that said "STILL SHOPPING" on them ..that way no one else could come and take your bolts..or the employees didn't put them back in stock thinking they were ones that had already been cut for someone. You might have a kids area for them to sit and wait while Mom shops...maybe with some toys or a TV with a video's of some cartoons or a kiddie movie to keep them occupied...you might even have a high school student on duty to keep an eye on them so they don't wander away looking for Mom..If you have a display quilt you might want to make up some kits in different color schemes for people to buy..My secret pal when I worked at the school got me the cutest tall clear plastic cup, like the ones that slurpies come in, with the doamed lid. It had a simple pin cushion in the doamed top and FQ's inside it with a simple pattern to make a runner or table topper from the FQ's. It was a welcome gift. Make sure you have the rulers if you plan to do classes..like the one for the dresdan plate if you are teaching that class..
Maybe you could have a quilt book library...so they could check out a book..some are very expensive and there may be only one or two patterns in a whole book that interests them. They might have to put up a "refundable" deposit until you get to know them so they don't disappear with your book.
As far as fabric..I can never seem to find enough blenders or tone on tones to go with the florals.
Hope these suggestions help..
Good Luck on your shop..Linda B.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 PM

I love to see a nice selection of solids and shot cottons or almost solids like the Grunge line for Moda by Basic Grey. I like to see modern fabrics.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 PM

And - - when you get set up - online sales/marketing so all of us can help you! :-)

Marysewfun