Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM

A place to set for a few moments when our feet grow weary,so

that we can refresh before continuing our shopping.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 AM

Maybe een have a cup of Tea.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:17 AM

I love batiks. Also I love to look at samples for inspiration. If you have a website listing classes I would love to see examples of what the class is on there. It annoys me when I get the newsletter from my LQS and I have to look up what they all are. I don't know what all of the patterns are.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

love all the ideas. I like windam (sp) and andover fabrics to name 2. where, what city are you in or going to be in. I see a day trip for a few of us! good luck with the shoppe
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Okay I am about halfway through the comments and I have to say CUSTOMER SERVICE, for me that is what it is all albout. I already know I will be spending more so make it worth my while...kill me with kindness! All the other ideas rock but for me that puts it over the top.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM

I love the idea of a sitting area. I also can't stress enough friendly, helpful staff. My pet peeve is to ask quilting questions and be treated as if I am asking for some kind of 'trade secret'. One LQS I visited didn't want to answer my question-she handed me a flyer and said I could sign up for the class if I wanted to know how to do that. I also would like to see a good selection of tonals and blender fabrics. Plus, and this is just a personal one, I find it really hard to find a good selection of themed fabric AND coordinates. Some LQSs just get the cutsey prints but none of the matching fabrics. Finally,if you can do it, an online store would be awesome. Then we can all shop at your store!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Most of the responses are great. I was going to tell you the same thing. one thing I can suggest is one that my local quilt shop does. They give a discount the first Saturday of the month. IF YOU BRING YOUR QUILT TOP IN THEIR SHOP, THEY GIVE A 20% DISCOUNT FOR BACKING!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 AM

One thing not mentioned.....an attractive store front/window and signage. Maybe a vintage machine set up with old sewing tools and quilts. A quilt store nearby even has a big old store cat that'll curl up on the machine in the window. It's impossible to walk by without going in!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 AM
lbc

My pet peeve are shops that display quilts that you fall in love with and then they don't carry the fabric. So, I guess I would suggest you keep your samples up to date with the fabrics.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM

WOW.....so many terrific ideas. You guys were right, my head IS spinning! :)

You've given me so much good information, advice, and suggestions, and I'm going to do my best to incorportate many of them (I'm sure space will prohibit using all!).

And to the quilter from Cedar Rapids....just went to Nolting yesterday and have a Fun Quilter on order for the store (which will be in West Branch).

My shopping list is definitely getting larger (which is great)...you may all be enablers, but I'm definitely an "enablee" (if that is such a word) :)

Thanks so much,

Chris