Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
A table for customers to use to lay out fabric to audition - with or without their quilt top (perhaps if looking for backing or a border fabric)

Bolts of fabric from the same line displayed together on the same rack with (if available) a free copy of the pattern from the fabric designer.

But most of all teach your staff that smiles cost absolutely nothing.
I'm so glad you mentioned tables for laying out your bolts while you audition various fabrics. My LQS had tables in her previous location but after moving to a larger space, she has her own displays on all tables. It's very awkward not to be able to put my bolts down while I put a plan together.
An occasional free pattern from a manufacturer would be a great idea.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Definitely free coffee, tea or hot chocolate and a table with comfy chairs to foster conversation and ideas!
Love this idea. I've never seen this in a quilt shop. hehe, the one about the DH and giving him a place to sit, is amusing. Might want to have some guy magazines!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 AM

And maybe this could be near a window so you could see the colors in natural light. It really makes a difference in the colors.
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
space to lay out chosen fabrics to view them from a distance.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 AM

I have visited and supported more than a few LQS, and when you are a beginner, you dont have a lot of knowledge of even what to buy-or why....
A small corner with "just starting/learning?" would be great, as a wonderfully colorful LQS can be a bit overwhelming with all of the luscious colors, fabrics,combinations, and intricate patterns, it helps to know an easy beginner friendly way to dive in.....and still feel able.
Just a thought......it would also be a great way to post/advertise any beginner classes, projects and prvide a transition for those of us who feel a little silly askingsuch basic questions.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 AM

bayberry quilts in chicopee ma has a lot of samples up AND they make up a kit for each one with all the same fabrics as the sample...

i walked in during a shop hop and saw a quilt that just yelled "MOM" @ me... i didn't have to look for the fabric or anything... just picked up the kit that was on the shelf under where the sample was hanging...

i haven't gotten on out of there without one yet!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Great suggestions. The only thing I can add is pretty basic. I've been in quilt shops that were so poorly lit that you couldn't really see the fabric and so messy that it was no pleasure to shop there. Who wants to lift a dozen bolts of fabric to get to the one that has caught your eye. I truly do think that someplace to "collect" your bolts so that you can look them over and decide exactly what you want without trying to carry them around is essential.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 AM

I read through a couple pages of wonderful suggestions and I w
ish there was a way to get there from here in Idaho. We have a wonderful LQS here in the home of a guild member. She always makes us feel at home, an importent part is a place for spouses to be comfortable. They need a place to sit out of the way and not have to go out to the car while we are making our heavy decisions!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:37 AM

also, no air fresheners, heavy potpourri etc... a lot of people, like me, have allergies...

there is a shop near my home, but they always have the patchouli (sp?) incense burning & after about 3-4 minutes, i have to leave...
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Ditto Ditto!

Originally Posted by grugirl
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
space to lay out chosen fabrics to view them from a distance.
I have to 2nd this one also. Many times it is not doable in a store and it is frustrating
Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 AM

My LQS stays open until 8 PM on Tuesday nights, for the quilters that work during the week. Needless to say, Tuesday nights in there are very busy and profitable for them. Every Thursday you can bring your sewing machine, embroidery, or whatever project you are working on, and visit with others while you work. There are several tables set up, and plenty of chairs around. Customers learn new techiques from each other, you get great ideas, wonderful fellowship, and draws in paying customers. Some women stay all day long, some can only stay during their lunch time, so they just come to sit and visit while eating lunch. Best of luck getting your store up and running.