Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 AM

General Sewing machine parts for a variety of machines!!! I was recently on a quilt retreat with my guild and the black guide on my quarter inch foot broke right in half across the top!!! There were three quilt shops in the area but no one carried my brand of machine (Janome). I was stuck. I could have used another of my presser feet but i wanted that one... I was in the middle of a project. When I got home, I went to my local quilt shops. No one carried Janome. I had to call the place where I bought my machine... Very frustrating.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 AM

I love Asian and batik fabrics. One of my LQS owners doesn't like the color blue, so there aren't a lot to choose from in her shop.
Perhaps have a suggestion box on the counter, that way you will get to know what YOUR shoppers want...even if it's blue fabrics!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 AM

The thing that always inspires me is to see actual quilts on display with the patterns available. These change all the time so that there is always a new inspiration.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Greet all customers with a smile. If you weren't the one to greet the customer when she first came in and she comes to the area of the store where you are working, say hello. I was visiting my parents this week and went to three quilt stores. I would describe them all as nice shops with merchandise to my taste. In one I wasn't even acknowledged. In another one I was greeted when I first came in but when I met another worker as I walked through the shop I was ignored. At the third shop, a worker came from the rear of the shop to greet me and ask if she could help me find anything. She checked back several times to see if she could help. There were 3 other women working there who all spoke to me when I came near them. Guess where I spent money. When I go to a shop I always buy something, at least a fat quarter. I didn't buy anything in the first shop and bought a pattern in the second shop only because I had been looking for it. The third shop got my business and I will go back there.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 AM

How about buttons, I love buttons and use a lot for various projects, either individually or by the cupful.
Also, wallhanging projects, and I love reds, if your could have more in various shades and prints.
I dont live near by but I'm thinking maybe a day trip, of coarse I would have to find out how far away you are. And plenty of Fabric to go with the vrious projects, often LQS sells out and never replaces, so you will have a neat project on the wall in some nice fabric, but no fabric in stock, also if its been a while maybe switch off the samples on the wall as fabric changes so should the samples.Anyway just my opinion. Also, I'm all for the tables put around the store, LQS here has them and it helps a lot, even has an employee at each table to help if need be, but bare in mind, he has a huge store. Thank you for asking, this has been fun. Good Luck
Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Oh, well while we are dreaming- What about a Accucut studio with lots of dies? You could rent time to people who buy fabric at one rate and a little bit more for people who want to use their stash from home.

A charity corner where people could make up a block for charity quilts while they are shopping... and leave it at the store of course.
My LQS HAS the Accuquilt that we can use for $10 an hour.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM

A separate classroom. One away from the sales floor. I think teaching classes are a must and a way to sell fabric.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 AM

A BATHROOM!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 AM

I do a lot of landscape quilts and have a hard time finding landscape fabrics locally so would be great to have a good selection of those.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 AM

I hate to burst your bubble but if Tomorrows Treasures quilt shop in New Baltimore is the only quilt shop there she closed last year. I loved going there as she was always so helpful, her store was small but packed with everything a quilter needed.