Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 AM

I like a nice friendly face when I enter a store and an offer for help if I need it!! Always greet your customers and make them feel welcome.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 AM

My LQS has a lot of block of the month classes where they make up a bag with the pattern and the fabric. Well, all the cut up extra fabric they sell for 25 cents a piece. I've gotten some pretty big pieces and some that I wouldn't want a FQ of but it sure came in handy for that "what do I put there?" project. I never walk out without a good handfull. If you offer classes with fabric you may want to sell off the odd ends like that.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 AM

Lots of times I come to a quilt shop for ideas. I love to see the samples on the walls and if I really like one I will either buy the kit/pattern or sign up for a class to make it. I love to take classes as it forces me to actually finish it.

So I say samples and classes are important to me. I am fortunate to live in an area where there are lots of shops available.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:57 AM

I will continue to go to my LQS even when the new el cheapo fabric shop comes to this town (which is soon), because if I go to him with a strange request that he hasn't got in stock he does the research and rings me up to let me know that he has acquired it. I think that is a good businessman. He also does not overcharge on repairs or try to push product - he is very honest in his assessment of pros and cons.Those qualities are what I look for in a shop, not that it is 'trendy'and has all of the 'right' material for the shopping snobs.
Good luck with your enterprise.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by mimom
free coffee, I'm there long enough to enjoy a cup. lol
my LQS has a large rustic looking table in the middle of the store with chairs all around, you can go there and just sit down with the owner or one of the workers and just talk about anything. Love them guys. Tomorrows Treasures Quilt Shop in New Baltimore, MI
I knew I should never have left MI.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
Something I don't see very often in quilt shops is a place to set down your bolts of fabric as you're making your choices so you can see how all your selections look together. Those bolts get heavy and having just a few spots around the shop to set them down and be able to see how the colors/patterns/etc. play off of each other would be wonderful! :-D

In my LQS, the only place to do this is on the cutting table. So if they're busy, you're out of luck.
Ditto...I love this idea!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
My LQS has bag patterns up the wazoo, but they are all huge bags, no purses. Just a thought, maybe you could have an in-store notebook of all patterns available to your store? Customers could pay in advance, and you could order to demand?
Now this is an idea that I too would like to see, although my little LQS will order anything that I want and know of, but many times I only have an idea of something I have seen but no real identity for it.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 AM

Please have enough room for a wheelchair to get around and also an entrance to get wheelchair in.
the store in the next town to me, even offered to bring what I want to my car, if I know what I want.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 AM

If you are going to sell machines, please do not greet a customer with predatory anticipation and then drop the smile and welcoming attitude when you find out that they are not interested in a machine. The only saving grace in a QS with this type of owner is an exceptional group of employees.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I would say friendly staff would be number one. I think sales and specials bring people in too!