Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM

I was just thinking about something I would love to see in a quilt shop the other day, something I have never seen. Anyway, wouldn't it be cool if there was an area on the wall to display customers quilts. There would be a time frame for them to be there, and they would have to be made from fabric they bought there at that store. I think it might be fun for some people to have their quilts showcased.

I am not saying I want mine on that wall, nope, not ready for that yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM

I like this idea alot.... here in my part of the world we have one store in particular that is pretty dark...so hard to see true color's....
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM

I'd like it well lit, clean, and quiet, that is to say, I'd like the store to play soft music or none at all. I've been to lots of quilt shops where they play instrumentals or oldies,...etc. Our LQS here in town plays hard rock,...and it's very unnerving and annoying. I've heard other customers complain,...does no good.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl
Originally Posted by SandraG
My favorite LQS has a variety of sales such as: Fat Quarter Friday (once a month) ($1.50); end of the bolt 25% off (one Sat a month); a buyer's card ($20 off after $250 in purchases); birthday sale (1/2 your age for the week before and after your birthday; Wonderful Wednesday (once a month where something is spontaneously put on sale, etc. They have a variety of samples hanging on the wall; a Christmas fabric area; a baby fabric area; a civil war area; new fabric area; batik area, etc. The best thing is you feel like you are home. They welcome you with a big smile, answer any questions, let you know about anything new or on sale. And, they call me by name (of course I have been going there for years).
The friendliness of course plays a huge part. I have oft found that many women that work in quilt shops are not always that friendly. In fact, many times I feel as if I put them off by asking questions. They seem disturbed or bothered many times. There are a few shops I love but the friendliness of the owner and staff has much to be desired.
Yes! I agree 100 percent. Genuine friendliness and helpfulness go so far! And not that fakey "I want you to spend lots of money and leave" stuff. I don't need to be babysat all through the store, or have the staff think they need to know everything about me...but a warm, genuine smile and a cheerful "Hi, can I help you find anything special?!" goes a long way with me.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Please let us know what section of Iowa you will be in? Eastern, central, western?

And I agree, lighting is important. Thank you :)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Definitely batting, it's always nice to get all you supplies for a quilt all at once. Im sure you will have a fantastic shop.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
I was just thinking about something I would love to see in a quilt shop the other day, something I have never seen. Anyway, wouldn't it be cool if there was an area on the wall to display customers quilts. There would be a time frame for them to be there, and they would have to be made from fabric they bought there at that store. I think it might be fun for some people to have their quilts showcased.

I am not saying I want mine on that wall, nope, not ready for that yet.
I agree...Since the QS I go to gives teachers freedom to display all their classes all over the place, hanging from ceiling, walls etc...it's a wonderland of quilts and gives everyone ideas if they don't want to take a class.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 AM

At my favorite QS they have tables with a basket of bean bags in the middle so you can put your bolts of fabrics on the table and put a bean bag on it to let others know that those are taken, and also so the staff doesnt think someone just left them and puts them away. Great lighting absolutely. Samples made up are great, and I love batiks, so lots of batiks. lol
Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 AM

Years ago and years ago, I had a ceramic shop and I always had tea/coffee and pop. It tarted out as a complimentary cup of coffee but then I had to put a money jar beside the tea and coffee because I was getting so busy that I was making in upwards of 5 pots a day. So it started becoming very expensive, so they could throw whatever money they wanted to in the jar and this way it paid for itself. I know that sounds small but with all the other expenses in a shop, you can't give everything away. Some of your regulars will donate the odd can of coffee...I like everybody's ideas, Chris, your head will be spinning by the end of this thread lol :)
Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 AM

My LQS has bag patterns up the wazoo, but they are all huge bags, no purses. Just a thought, maybe you could have an in-store notebook of all patterns available to your store? Customers could pay in advance, and you could order to demand?