Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome! >

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Stock the quilt store....ideas welcome!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:16 AM

Somebody posted a notice a little while back about the Clover desk threader. I went and got one, and I absolutley LOVE it. These old eyes sometimes have to squint to try to find that tiny little hole, snd it has been taking longer and longer just to get my needle threaded. With this little baby, it's done in about 1 second! Now I have several needles threaded, so I don't have to stop each time.
Another suggestion is to have various types of thimbles. This may sound obvious, but I have a slight deformity of my rt middle finger (no, it is not in a permanent UP position) that makes normal thimbles almost impossible to wear. In addition, I have large hands for a female, so that is another strike, and I usually just sew until my finger is too sore to continue. At a LQS, I found s thimble (also by Clover) with a regular thimble tip, but the part that goes over my finger is a soft, flexible "petal" shape that stays on comfortably for hours. They are color coded for size. A little more expensive than the usual metal thimble, but both these products are indispensible for my quilting.
nanac
Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 AM

A table for customers to use to lay out fabric to audition - with or without their quilt top (perhaps if looking for backing or a border fabric)

Bolts of fabric from the same line displayed together on the same rack with (if available) a free copy of the pattern from the fabric designer.

But most of all teach your staff that smiles cost absolutely nothing.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:23 AM

I like the good lighting idea. Lots of different styles of fabrics- 30's repro, florals, batiks, kids fabrics, and all of the "name brands," of course. I agree with the rulers and cutters, too. If Joann carries it and you can buy it with a coupon, I wouldn't try to compete with that.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 AM

To add my voice, some of us still hand quilt, and have trouble finding proper thread--usually, the four stores I visit most often have a good variety of machine quilting threads, sometimes none at all for hand quilting. Wouldn't expect a beginning shop to carry many colors of hand quilting thread, but a few basics would bring me back. Also, while I seldom use templates, the big plastic sheets are something I keep handy, to. Good luck with everyone's list, you will have to use a barn-size building to suit us all!! piecefully, the old one
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Hi, forgot to mention, a small shop in a small town in Michigan had two large recliner-type chairs, a floor lamp, and a stack of Field and Stream type magazines. My husband never noticed how long I spent looking at patterns and fabrics, in that shop. piecefully, the old one
Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Lots and Lots of samples on the walls and all over the place so we can see what a pattern looks like all made up.
And on the sample, the name of the pattern and where to find it. Maybe also the fabric line used to make it.
That's so funny, as it was the first thing that came to my mind. Also, workers who are knowledgeable about quilting. Organization. Keep the store items neat, organized, and in logical places. A variety of the extra wide fabric for backings is also great. Your own block of the month might also be interesting. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by grugirl
Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
space to lay out chosen fabrics to view them from a distance.
I have to 2nd this one also. Many times it is not doable in a store and it is frustrating
Quiltique in Henderson, NV, has the bolts on shelves and cubbyholes over the shelves. In that cubbyhole they put FQs of the fabrics on the bolts beneath. That way, you can pull out a FQ of the fabrics you are looking at, spread them out together and decide which ones will work for you. I like it because you don't pull out a lot of bolts that have to be put back. It's much easier to deal with while shopping.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 AM

You said you plan to have classes. I wish my local shop had classes during a variety of hours for those of us that work a M-F job. She has one Mon evening class for basic sewing and one Sat AM "Bernina Club" which really isn't a class you can just go and work on whatever -- mainly a social time. But both of those times are always full with the "regulars" She's the only shop in town too! So.... that's my 2 cents worth. Lots of classes at lots of times especially evening and weekends. Good Luck :)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
A full selection on-line with in-store pickup option.
I love this idea. I love shopping online but like to avoid the shipping charges that put a crimp in my budget!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Lots and Lots of samples on the walls and all over the place so we can see what a pattern looks like all made up.
And on the sample, the name of the pattern and where to find it. Maybe also the fabric line used to make it.
I totally agree with having many finished samples on walls or in displays. My LQS has a quilt on display with a pansy border that I love. They tell me it has been discontinued & not made anymore. Then I wish they'd put that quilt away since I've asked about it twice in hopes that the info might be wrong.
I've bought sev. patterns this winter based on what I saw on the wall.