Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stop start button or foot pedal? >

stop start button or foot pedal?

stop start button or foot pedal?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
I use my start/stop button only when I am embroidering. I use the foot pedal the rest of the time as I feel I have better control of the speed I am sewing.
Ditto.

The start/stop button makes me feel so out of control (almost panic-y) at normal speeds, and if I use it on super-slow, I feel like I'm not getting anything done.

I'm definitely a "pedal person".
Old 04-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Start, stop only for embroidery...foot pedal for sewing, just can't change!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 AM

None of my machines have a stop/start button but my newest machine is 37 years old! Love my machines and will use them until I can no get parts for them if they break. I can't imagine using a button to start and stop. To me it would be like using cruise control on an icy road. Perhaps if I could tap the foot pedal to stop I would feel more in control. This is one feature of newer machines I don't miss.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:43 AM

I have a knee lift, which I have never used, mainly because I am so used to the foot pedal I don't trust my co-ordination. I wonder what how other foot pedalists have made the transition, or not.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 AM

I totally use the start/stop button on my Janome. Even for FMQ as I can set the speed and then use my motion of moving the quilt to adjust any stitching such as making loops, etc. I always had an issue with my foot pedal moving on my slick wood floor. I tried many things to keep my foot pedal steady but now only use the stop/start button. I love, love, love it.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Foot pedal. I accidentally hit the Start button once. It was scary because I had the machine speed high.
Yikes!! I accidentally bump my start/stop button ALL the time, but fortunately my machine ignores that button if the foot pedal is plugged in so I haven't had any frights from it. Just lots of occasions for me to feel grateful they thought to set it up that way!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 AM

I don't think I could go back to a machine without the knee life. It's something you need to use to get comfortable with and once you do, you may really like it. With the scissor button and knee lift, there are no snippets or waste of thread. Your hands do not even have to come close to the needle when sewing if using these features. But everyone has their own way of doing things and that's OK. We are all unique! Keep sewing.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:25 AM

I use my start/stop button exclusively. When I need to start or stop, my little pinkie can reach it so the rest of my hand is still holding the fabric. I do all my sewing, including FMQ using the start/stop button.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:27 AM

I only use the start/stop button when FMQ - love the consistency of the speed and the button is close enough that I can reach it with a finger and still leave my hand on the fabric. On my Janome, you have to unplug the foot pedal to use the start/stop button.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 AM

When I got my 6600 Janome ,a friend told me not to hook up the foot pedal. My 3500 pedal had broken so hooked up to that and never looked back. Love the stop start button!!!!😊😍