Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stop start button or foot pedal? >

stop start button or foot pedal?

stop start button or foot pedal?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 AM

I use the start stop button too - foot pedals always got away from me
Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 AM

Only have the button on my Husqvarna-Viking embroidery machine and use it for embroidery and winding the bobbin. Otherwise, I use the foot pedal cuz sometimes I like using both hands to hold my fabric where I want it under the presser foot. To each his own.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM

I don't have the button on any of my current machines, but I don't know that I would use it as that would involve having to lift my hands to turn it on and off. I like the tactile process of speed control with my foot pedal.

I am in search of a knee lift for my Bernina 830 record as it was lost by the previous owner.

Cheers, K
Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 AM

I had polio when I was four. A machine with a start stop button is a must for me.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by sharin'Sharon View Post
Only have the button on my Husqvarna-Viking embroidery machine and use it for embroidery and winding the bobbin. Otherwise, I use the foot pedal cuz sometimes I like using both hands to hold my fabric where I want it under the presser foot. To each his own.
Using it just for bobbin winding as it seems to give a nice, even threaded bobbin. Too many starts and stops in quilting to use it for piecing. For FMQ'g I do use the speed control which gives me nice even stitch lengths.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM

I'm a fan of the foot pedal.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM

I use the foot pedal also. I can't use that thing you press your leg against. It hurts the side of my leg when I do that.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
I think I am missing something. If you use the start/stop button, don't your hands (or a finger) need to leave your work while you reach for it? Especially when I am FMQ, I like both hands on my work when the machine starts, so I use the pedal. When I applique I need both hands on my work and sometimes go one stitch at a time, so I use the pedal. I am very interested in the advantages of the start/stop button because lots of you use it, and I don't want to miss out.
You do need to use a finger to stop, but it's so fast and you get used to it so easily, that it's fine. Most of us don't stitch 90 miles an hour, anyway. As for the stitching one stitch at a time, I learned that if you hold the start/stop button in, it will do just that, stitch one stitch at a time very slowly. I think the confusion lies with people thinking that if you take one hand off of your work that it will get away from you. It doesn't. There is a sliding speed control on these machines so you find the speed you're comfortable sewing at, and that's how fast it stitches..up to you.
The main benefit I get from it is comfort. I can sew with my feet on a footstool, or my legs crossed, whatever position is best for my back. I don't get the back aches and neck strain that I used to get. I was skeptical at first, but now I can never see myself going back to a foot pedal...it is just an unnatural way to have to sit. I suggest going to a sewing center with a quilt sandwich, and try out one of the demo machines.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I use the foot pedal also. I can't use that thing you press your leg against. It hurts the side of my leg when I do that.
I use the foot pedal because I like to have my hands on the fabric. I've tried to use the knee lift but the old habits kick in from when I had that as the presser foot on an old machine. I wish I could get the hang of the knee lift as I was doing a lot of straight line quilting and turning and the knee lift would have been wonderful for that.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM

I use the buttons exclusively. I wasn't sure I would like it when I first got my machine, but I love it now. If I'm sewing along or fmq I tend to operate the button with my knuckle because it it so close.