Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose.... >

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I have had to make a gift quilt that my heart wasn't in. I still tried to do my best, but exactly as Lori S said, I was miserable the whole time and I worked fast to get it over with and mailed. I did care about the outcome... and they said they loved it-- so who knows. A quilt can be a bridge!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM

No, afraid not. Always do the best I can no matter the circumstance.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I think if you use 10x10 (100 squares) it will end under 40 in. square because of shrinkage. It sounds like a comfy drag around quilt. A lot of things in life fall in the to do category and not caring for it. Maybe you don't like the person but the baby is not at fault. By the way I like the shrink factor so I would not prewash on purpose.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 09-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM

I have made a few quilts that I didnt really know the recipient or ever meet them that I remember. Just mom asking for a couple.

I decided to practice some skills on those quilts. either piecing and/or quilting. Not anything I would be embarrassed to show. But it is a good time to test out skills. and then where it goes is rather incidental to doing the quilt.

It's all about perspective
Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM

If you feel that strongly about it, just go BUY one and be done with it. Personally, I wouldn't do any less than my best on a quilt for nameless, faceless, homeless junkie. You're talking about an innocent baby that's related to you for crying out loud.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM

I finished a quilt for someone with Alzheimers going into a nursing home. The sad part was that only point of connection was that quilt and she was past knowing who I was. Anyway as I worked on her quilt I began to have a greater appreciation for her and her sewing skills and by the time I finished I was really glad I had taken the time to redo her misplaced squares and make it as lovely as I could.
I also began to pray for her as I worked on it and that helped too.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM

When I was doing my externship at my vet clinic, one of the office girls and one of the vet techs were both pregnant. The office girl was always pleasant and friendly to me even when I was just a client. I had no exposure to the vet tech until I started my externship. I had to work closely with the vet tech 5 days a week for 3 months and I was miserable most days. I made a quilt for the office girl and gifted it to her. I also started a quilt for the vet tech. The vet tech was the most unpleasant, unfriendly and general all around not a nice person and treated me poorly. It wasn't just because she was pregnant either as I had a couple of conversations with the clinic manager and she was always like that. (But the clinic allowed her to continue with her behavior) I got the quilt almost finished and decided that there was absolutely no way in H*ll I was going to give that wretched woman a quit that I had worked so hard on. I still have the quilt, it just needs the binding put on it. I know that someday I will find a more deserving person to give it to and I know they will appreciate it. I have no guilt for not gifting the quilt to her at all.

Sometimes it is better not to know the inner workings of some establishments; I have since acquired a new vet who has super nice & friendly staff.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm making a quickie rag quilt for a baby gift using Jo-Ann's pre-cut FQ flannel bundle.

Stitch124, When I get a FQ bundle of 5 from Walmart for rag baby quilt, I use every inch of each piece...they are 18x 22, after selvage is cut,( sometimes 21") I cut them into bricks of 6" x 7". 5 across, with the 7"lengthwise. 6 down, alternating pattern to look good...with 1/2 seam. Make a cross just to hold together, no batting..no prewash any more..Just let it shrink... .double stitch around the edge. So easy and fun..The time is in the snip, snip, but I relax & enjoy that part...The ragging in washer and dryer is the pits.. JMHO.. berni
Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM

I have made plenty of quilts intended to gift. Then they ended up making me angry and they never received it.
But now we are talking about a baby. You can do it and he will have it for years to come. Just while you sew. And remember its for baby not parents.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM

I think we have all been there at one point or another. Keep in mind that this quilt is for an innocent baby who will fell the love and warmth from it. So, put a lot of it in there for the little guy. He can't help who his parents are.