Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose.... >

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Strange question -- I could be a real meanie I suppose....

Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 PM

The only time I've felt 'obliged' to make a quilt was for a very good friend's daughter's new baby. The daughter is just absolutely horrid to her mother. Mom and I are great friends. For me, it was about the friendship between mom and me...not about her daughter. My friend was beside herself with joy with the quilt. Got the obligatory thank you from the daughter. It's just a shame my friend has only seen her grandson 3 times in his four years of life. And who knows if the daughter gave the quilt to the dogs. Not the issue for me.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I'm making a quickie rag quilt for a baby gift using Jo-Ann's pre-cut FQ flannel bundle.

Not concerned about shrinkage issue that much, but just wondering if anyone can tell me if I should wash the FQs first. They are blues, pinks, greens, yellows, purples. Not dark, not pastel, sort of medium color. Question #1 - If I make the squares 5", how many squares should I end up with and how big will the blanket be?

Now confession time: I'm making it for someone I really don't care for, but I feel the obligation because it's someone in my DH family. I frankly don't care if it shrinks or not. Just thinking it would be nice for the baby to drag around and nap with. Not concerned about impressing the parents, so I'm not going to a lot of trouble on this one.

Question #2 - Have you ever felt obligated to make a gift and didn't really care to much about the outcome?
FGs are 18" by 21". I'd cut my squares 6". I hate wasting even a sliver of fabric.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 PM

Just a note: I'd not wash them ahead of time as you will be washing several times before gifting, but after sewing. Shrinkage can happen then and it will be fine if you have sewn the squares in an X.

I know that I have given quilts to people that I haven't particularly cared for, but not while making the quilt.

I like sewing, so to me, whether or not I LOVE that person, it is a "non issue" with me.

However, I do what I want when it comes to sewing and remember as others have mentioned...

1. your skills are on display,
2. the baby is innocent,
3. why not consider a gift from Walmart instead and
4. you will enjoy it better if you have a good attitude and only you can change that!

Enjoy making this creation. If the fabric is beautiful, I'd love making it no matter who is the receiver!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 AM

Hard to prewash squares, although it can be done.

If I were making the quilt for a baby, I would make it, and give the mother instructions to wash it before using it. I am not fond of the chemicals on non-prewashed fabric coming in contact with new babies
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 AM

For whatever reason you may dislike the parents, it's not the parents you are making this far. Give that little one something you could be proud of. I personally don't dislike anyone that much to not want to see a smile on their face.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:20 AM

Shrink everything and do your best work. (Do this for you!)
When I have to give a gift to someone I don't care for, I've found that the stores have an infinite number of gifts.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 AM

Folks I don't care for get a gift card to Target or some similar place.
When I make quilts, they are part of me, and I don't give them to just anybody. Maybe that's mean, but just because I am a quilter doesn't mean everyone is going to get a quilt!!
If you have to make a quilt, my advice is to make it the best you can as others will see it and ask who did it. Always do work you'll be proud of seeing again.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I'm making a quickie rag quilt for a baby gift using Jo-Ann's pre-cut FQ flannel bundle.

Not concerned about shrinkage issue that much, but just wondering if anyone can tell me if I should wash the FQs first. They are blues, pinks, greens, yellows, purples. Not dark, not pastel, sort of medium color. Question #1 - If I make the squares 5", how many squares should I end up with and how big will the blanket be?

Now confession time: I'm making it for someone I really don't care for, but I feel the obligation because it's someone in my DH family. I frankly don't care if it shrinks or not. Just thinking it would be nice for the baby to drag around and nap with. Not concerned about impressing the parents, so I'm not going to a lot of trouble on this one.

Question #2 - Have you ever felt obligated to make a gift and didn't really care to much about the outcome?
Most rag quilts are not prewashed. Shrinkage doesn't matter. I don't use batting nor do I sew an x and have never had a problem. Easy to sew but have good scissors for cutting. I also have found that just getting quilt wet and tossing in dryer a couple of times is enough. Don't have to put your septic tank through that, but make sure to keep lint trap in dryer cleaned out.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:08 AM

Aren't rag quilts considered a potential choking hazard to small babies? Just wondering.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 AM

No, don't bother washing them. After the quilt is made you will be washing it anyway and rag quilts don't have to be perfect because they have frayed edges anyway. If you look on the original pattern directions it clearly says not to make rag quilts for babies because of the frayed edges. A baby could choke very easily on the loose edges/threads.