Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
That Stuff on Fabric >

That Stuff on Fabric

That Stuff on Fabric

Old 08-22-2019, 01:17 PM

Default That Stuff on Fabric

Disclaimer: I am an unabashed pre-washer. I hope that won’t be held against me.

We know that all fabrics, no matter the quality or place of purchase, is treated with something. How do you know if it will wash out or not? I’ve found that, after washing, 99.5% of the time I end up with soft and fluffy (albeit wrinkly) fabric. It’s that .5% that’s annoying me.

Today I went fabric shopping for my new quilt. I chose a fabric from JoAnn’s. It was in among the other bolts, the same price and the color and design I wanted. I also bought fabric from 7 other bolts, again, all from the same area and same price. Most of them were a deep blue. But one of them is quite stiff after washing and I probably won’t use it because of that. It’s only a yard and I was on the fence about buying it anyway, but what if I loved it and absolutely had to have it??

How does anyone ever know what will wash out and what won’t?
Old 08-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I also wash (washable) fabrics before cutting. In fact, I soak them in hot water for a couple of hours before they get to the washing machine.

I don't know - for sure - until after I have washed and dried a fabric how it will behave.

It it ends up being a dud - I would much rather know before I put it into an item than after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I also wash (washable) fabrics before cutting. In fact, I soak them in hot water for a couple of hours before they get to the washing machine.

I don't know - for sure - until after I have washed and dried a fabric how it will behave.

It it ends up being a dud - I would much rather know before I put it into an item than after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bear, I couldn't agree with you more! That's why I started pre-washing. It's heart-breaking to make a quilt, wash it and discovered that you have a 2 x 4 plank right in the middle of it.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 PM

Admittedly I do not pre-wash all my fabrics but I do some of them. Normally by the feel of the fabric in the store. I compare bolt to bolt. If one feels different, even slightly, I know that it could mean trouble. Even though fabrics are grouped together does not mean they came from the same mill or the same batch. A long time ago I purchased such a fabric and I still run into it from time to time and it is still stiffer than most of the other fabrics in my stash.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Ran across some fabric like that once. No matter number of times washed or how hot the water it was stiffer than I like. File 13.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

If it feels stiff I don't buy it for a quilt. I don't need the aggravation.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 PM

I agree that some fabrics aren't as soft after laundering, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't worry about it. If it's cut small, it won't make much difference. The backing on one of my quilts being FMQ is stiff, but seems to softening as it's handled.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 AM

I prewash all my fabrics, I have had some fabrics come out stiff, I just use those for tote bags and reusable grocery bags.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:37 PM

Was it the brand "Blank Fabrics" per chance? They tend to be stiffer and more closely woven than other fabrics. More old school in thickness too. I too pre-wash everything, as several years ago I started getting itchy face when I was sewing/cutting and touched it. Heaven only knows what the overseas mfgs use anyway. Not regulated like our companies.