Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cheryl222 View Post
I was told NOT to do this by sewing machine repairman because it blows lint further into the parts of the machine that you can't get and can really mess it up.
Same as I as told.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

I find a dental pick very useful.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I find a dental pick very useful.
for holding little pieces together as they go thru the machine?
or
for cleaning your machine?
or
for cleaning your teeth while sewing?
( .......kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Dollar store coffee filters for round crazy-quilt blocks or the cathedral window lookalikes, flexible chopping mats (dollar store). These come 2 in a pack, are transparent, and can be used to make templates or save your cutting mat. For 50 cents each, they are inexpensive enough to toss when they are no longer useful.

A magnetic knife or tool rack is great for holding things such as scissors, screwdrivers, tweezers, etc. and keeps them off the surface of your sewing table. I use a drafter's circle template for circles up to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I use a cut piece of wooden dowel for pressing open seams on non-flat items. Bamboo skewers for stilettos. A "rubber" mallet from HF for pounding those impossible thick seams into submission.

My sewing table is an 8-foot "conference" table from an office store. It holds 2 sewing machines and a serger, plus my cutting mat and computer flat screen.

I took some aquarium tubing, cut into appropriate widths, them split to open them up. Place this over the wound bobbins to keep them from unwinding.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Because you asked so nicely, I won't give you the old "put the cow on the frig" answer! :lol:

First of all, it's not just for dairy cows, but also for beef as a cow might ingest something metallic and that would not be good for the cow. Eg. broken fence wire, dropped nail/

The magnet goes into the first part of the stomach (the cow has four parts) and it just stays there, to collect any metals that she might eat. Many farms will do it as a routine practice, such as at the time of the first breeding. Some will only insert it, when they think the cow has a problem, but that's often too late, as by then there's probably signs of infection, which may be beyond resolution.

A compass can be placed on the side of the stomach to check if the cow has one inside of her already.

So now, you can all have fun sharing this tidbit brought to you by your Quilting Board Dairy Farmers ... including OKSewGlad, QuiltE and ????
Thanks for explaining that!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
Yes, that is what I made mine out of. Actually used an outdoor roll up shade (figured it would be heavy duty). It is 6feet wide with a chain to roll it up and down. I took off the shade material that came with it and put on flannel (first felt, but fabric didn't stick too good to it). Then my DH mounted it over my closet. I just roll it down when I need it. I don't have an empty wall big enough for a design wall.
Where did you find the shade?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Wow!!! So many good responses!!!! I'm going thru the house looking for some of these items but I believe I will buy a new toilet brush. Haha. My favorite item that I use in my quilting room is a kitchen island on wheels for my cutting table. No bending, my mat fits perfect, and with the thick top I clipped an ott light on the back side. I love antiques so I'm always looking for these to decorate with and be functional. Jars - selvage, ribbons, buttons, wooden spools. Also use an antique silverware tray for my scissors and rotary cutters. Love this site!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

okay...you all made my day with some of these posts .. Some ideas I didn't know about and some I already bought, snagged or found. Thank you !! I needed the laugh today !!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Empty dental floss container for bent/broken needles and pins. I just tape it shut and toss it in the trash when it gets full.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
sap

I use paper grocery bags for trash around my sewing machine. that way I don't have to empty trash, just take it out n replace the sack with another one.