Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Elmer's school glue for holding binding in place = no pins needed after ironing, paper first aid tape for holding tracing paper in place while tracing a pattern from a book or pattern, margarine tubs to hold different sizes of safety pins, compass and protractor for making patterns.

Blog Entries
    All wonderful creative ideas ladies {sorry if i missed a Gents reply}, I too swiped the lg T square from hubby's workshop right along w/ a very nice Stanley 3 tiered nuts & bolt container to hold all the different feet for all my machines, it originally intrigued me because it matched the sewing rm colors..lol and he let it sit empty for way to long.
    I hang a small paint brush from my desk lamp for cleaning the bobbin area & couldn't live w/o long tweezers.

Digital Camera - Take photos of everything you create and keep in photo album for posterity.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this tip, my arthritis is getting bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I hand quilt and I have arthritis in my hands.

I use these needle nosed curved, spring loaded pliers to pull the needles through. They really save my wrists.

http://www.service.kleintools.com/To...uct/D338-51/2C

I got mine from Harbor Freight for $2.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    My husbands pliers, 4' level, his "real" tape measure.

My sewing machines are in my small laundry room and I discovered by accident that sewing patterns fit very well in the drawer under my front load dryer!

Blog Entries
    I put an old tricot nightgown over my clothes when I'm sewing. Keeps the "quilt poop" from attaching to me. Just slides right off!

Instead of using safety pins on my sandwiches, I cut up those long red erasers into small squares, maybe 1/4" to 3/8". I use those on the end of my 2" straight pins. Works similarly to Pinmoors (and a heck of a lot cheaper). Those safety pins were getting way too hard to handle with my arthritic hands. The pins work great with much less effort. I don't get stuck by the end of the pins because they are embedded within the eraser and they are easy to remove as I quilt.

I have never heard of a pin moore. But this sounds like a great and practical idea !

For binding, I roll on a toilet paper cardboard. Then put roll on the spindle in a CD container that held blank CDs (the tall ones that hold 100 blank CDs). Cut slit in plastic cover and feed end of binding through. Pop cover on. Binding stays clean - I can see it and not lose it - and it feeds out of the container as I sew.

Q-tips for removing lint form the feed & bobbin area. Another use for the q-tip is to place the bobbin & thread together. (Place q-tip in hole of thread & slip the bobbin right over it). My machine is in a cabinet so I have a small jar standing in the inside next to the machine to keep my small sissors for clipping, seam ripper, pencil etc. For years the second drawer was my trash can. Have enjoyed reading this thread....

One I forgot. I Use the rubber waffle like mats that are supposed to be used under scatter rugs so they don't slip under my foot pedal to keep it from moving.

Hi, I use half of a wooden clothes pin, without the spring, for finger pressing. Some times my fingers don't have much strength...arthritis vs. clothes pin, and it works very good.

Rubber cement to glue odd sized templates to the underside of my ruler... this makes VERY speedy work of cutting diamonds etc, for EPP.
    large Binder clips to hold my quilt layers down while I baste.
    Scotch tape & markers to mark cutting lines on the underside of my rulers ( make your own 'twister' , dresden plate, 60* OBW etc. rulers)

Hi, I use half of a wooden clothes pin, without the spring, for finger pressing. Some times my fingers don't have much strength...arthritis vs. clothes pin, and it works very good.

Wish I'd known about the eraser tip before I stabbed myself too many times on my last quilt!!!

I found a new use for my dog grooming table after I stopped showing dogs. I had a piece for plywood cut 40"x40" and put it on top of the table. It still wasn't tall enough so I bought the cones used to raise beds up under the legs and now my file cabinet fits under it and it's tall enough to keep me from backaches cutting quilts.

Empty frosting and spice containers for different sized curved safety pins. Love that nutmeg smell! Spoke weight for holding ruler in place when cutting strips. And it still slips sometimes.....

Quote Originally Posted by fayeberry
    Empty frosting and spice containers for different sized curved safety pins. Love that nutmeg smell! Spoke weight for holding ruler in place when cutting strips. And it still slips sometimes.....
    Try rubber cement. You can still see the lines and it doesn't slip.

I use an oven drip sheet as an applique press sheet. Heat resistant to 500 degrees. I bought mine at the discount home improvement/lumber store on sale for $1.99.

I have several large, heavy vases that keep my scissors and skinny rulers tamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
    Lots of great ideas here...I'm taking notes.
    I use a heel sander from the dollar store to pick up frogged stitches, a bamboo scure (just realized I dont know how to spell squre *shisk kabob stick) (blush) as my stilus.
    SKEWER that IS a hard one...but what is a heel sander?

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Hubby - he's colorblind but can't be beat when it comes to value
    same for my hubby, he does an awesome job on value

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary
    For binding, I roll on a toilet paper cardboard. Then put roll on the spindle in a CD container that held blank CDs (the tall ones that hold 100 blank CDs). Cut slit in plastic cover and feed end of binding through. Pop cover on. Binding stays clean - I can see it and not lose it - and it feeds out of the container as I sew.
    great idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    One I forgot. I Use the rubber waffle like mats that are supposed to be used under scatter rugs so they don't slip under my foot pedal to keep it from moving.
    I received new car mats as a gift and took one of the old ones and it fits perfect under my sewing desk to set the foot petal on. {the other mat went under the cat litter pan-no waste here}

A small hemostat from when I got stitches at the hospital. If the doctor could remove those tiny stitches from my forehead with them, then I can remove the whiskers from my ripping. Works great.
    Old kitchen table for sewing machine
    File cabinet to store my patterns and trash bags, pens pencils,grid paper, etc.
    Interesting how we manage to find things all over the house to use to make our quilting life easier!
    We are crafty!!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast