Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

I converted a wooden papertowel holder for large spools of thread. I drilled small holes in the base and put in two more dowels and put some eyelet lag screws in the top for thread guides. It can hold 3 large thread cones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wooden kebab to push material under needle.
    Rubber fingers from office supply store to pull needle through when hand quilting.
    Large plastic salad containers to hold fat quarters and scraps of material for paper piecing.(these are similar to shoe boxes)
    Medicine bottles to hold quilting and applique needles.

A magnatic bowl that macanics? use for tools. I put straight pins and whatever else I can that will stick to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by texpat45
    Painter's tape to mark straight line quilting patterns.
    I also use a silverware caddy for tools, pens, pencils, etc.
    Small dining table for my sewing table.
    Empty plastic slide boxes for pins, and other small items.

There are probably other things I can't think of right now!

Baskets - all different sizes for storing fabric, notions, stabilizer rolls, etc.
    Wooden crates for storing books
    Gopher Grab it tool for picking up stuff that has fallen on the floor and isn't magnetic.

I also use the hanging closet sweater organizers to keep quilt kits together and plastic shoe boxes to hold projects that I have in process.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingb1
    I use a dish drainer to store my rulers.
    Gift wrap tissue paper (white) for applique, paper piecing and tracing my quilting designs,
    Shoe cabinet to hold fat quarters.
    Hanging closet organizer to keep fabrics for my WIPs separated.

I stole my dh's 48" t-square - does a wonderful job cutting long borders
    I've made a sandpaper board with 220 grit and cardboard to sign blocks or to draw my diagonals with.
    styrofoam insulation board as a design wall
    4x8 plywood table for a sewing/cutting/layout table
    small plastic storage bins w/lids for projects
    plastic drawer units for storing stuff in
    baskets for scraps and holding quilting items that are used all the time.

Dang, I know there's more, I just can't think of it. As soon as I post, I'll go'll dang! LOL

Where do you get a "mole skin foot pad" to mark the 1/4" line on your plate? Sounds like a nifty idea!

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Dang, I know there's more, I just can't think of it. As soon as I post, I'll go'll dang! LOL
    Then come on back .... and post again!! ... and again ... and again ... and ..................
    :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Hubby - he's colorblind but can't be beat when it comes to value
    When he isn't around, a pair if red lens glasses, or a least the red cellophane will work. When DD saw mine, she had to have a pair, see our glasses used when buying fabric. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95308-1.htm
    What a great idea ... I can never squint my eyes right to look thru those ruby beholders and make sense.

Where, pray tell, does one buy such quilt-fashionista
    eyeglasses? :)
    Ours came form JoAnn's, on sale, near the end of Valentines Day stock.

I use an empty paper towel roll to roll my binding on and I slip it over a metal clothes hanger that i have cut the bottom part of and slip the paper towel roll over it and hang it on the wall behind my sewing machine to unroll my binding as I sew. You can buy such things but mine was FREE.

Surgical clamps for grabbing a stubborn hand quilting needle. Good also for tying too-short threads.
    I use an old letter-holder for my rulers.
    I purchased 5-power loupes from a gem shop that fit on the head for really close-up work.
    A Rubbermaid storage container for my travelling sewing kit.
    A rolling file caddy from Office Max for hauling my sewing machine to my weekly quilt group.
    I snagged one of several of DH's zippered bags he got when renewing his golf mag subscription to carry my iron and small projects to quilt groups.
    A beautiful antique wooden knitting needle to push out points.
    Fuzzy pipe cleaners to remove the lint from my machine's bobbin area.
    In my new sewing room that I'll have soon, I will have a beautiful 30" deep L-shaped computer desk for my sewing table.
    An 18-pound purr-baby to hold down those pesky flyaway blocks!
    Hair clips for holding binding.
    A cut-and-reshaped wire clothes hanger for my hand quilting pattern stencils.
    A three-panel screen-room divider that will be covered in flannel for my design wall.
    Two six-foot-tall steel racks that hold my stash in plastic bins, 4 to a shelf.
    A large fishing tackle box for quilting items.

What a great idea ... I can never squint my eyes right to look thru those ruby beholders and make sense.

Well, guess I won't be getting them, being that I'm not in the USA, at JoAnn's ... though I'll be watching to see if any show up in the stores here.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    I use an empty paper towel roll to roll my binding on and I slip it over a metal clothes hanger that i have cut the bottom part of and slip the paper towel roll over it and hang it on the wall behind my sewing machine to unroll my binding as I sew. You can buy such things but mine was FREE.
    I did the same thing.

Blog Entries
    Well, guess I won't be getting them, being that I'm not in the USA, at JoAnn's ... though I'll be watching to see if any show up in the stores here.
    Some eyeglass companies do have red lens sunglasses. However, the school solution would be any old pair of glass frames, glue the red cellophane onto the frame. Before I got the glamour glasses, I just kept the cellophane in my swatch book.

!
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    I converted a wooden papertowel holder for large spools of thread. I drilled small holes in the base and put in two more dowels and put some eyelet lag screws in the top for thread guides. It can hold 3 large thread cones.
    OH DANG!! I had to toss my wooden papertowel holder when I moved in with my daughter...would be a whole lot better than that $20 wooden thread holder I had to buy and it only holds one large spool of thread. Genius!!

I also use a spoon to close safety pins but never thought of using it to finger press ! Thanks for that tip!

Blog Entries
    From the Bass Pro Shop some kind of notebook zipper bag that they call a WORM BAG. Its has plastic bags that I put my sewing project that I'm working on. It has room for the fabrics that I'm using, finished blocks that I've already done, and all my thread and tools. Great for when you go to retreat and keeping your project all together. Only thing its not big enough to carry a pattern book, but you can put your individual single pattern in it.

I would like more info on the foam in the foot peddal for speed cotrol ? Please sounds intersesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
    I use a heel sander from the dollar store to pick up frogged stitches, a bamboo scure (just realized I dont know how to spell squre *shisk kabob stick) (blush) as my stilus.
    I cant spell either... LOL, I just open another explorer tab & google dictionary the word.

Check with your optician (the people who make glasses). Some people are prescribed different colors to help their vision.

This is a GREAT tips & tricks thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sushi
    I position grocery bags on the floor at every point where I think I'll want to discard stuff. For example, one sits on the left side of my sewing machine and another sits on the right. I have 4 positioned at different spots around my cutting table. So handy!

I know Eleanore Burns throws her scraps over her shoulder, but I don't have the staff she does :-)
    ROFLWTIME !!!!! :lol: :lol:

I use cardboard from cereal boxes to make patterns for applique

Try here. http://www.halloweencostumes.com/red...unglasses.html

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider

Try here. http://www.halloweencostumes.com/red...unglasses.html
    Thanks ... will keep my peepers open during this next month as all the ghosts and goblins stuff shows up in the stores.

Blog Entries
    -grapefruit spoon to close quilting pins or plastic knife in a pinch
    -cardboard cubby display box being thrown out at store, for FQs
    -appetizers skewers for stilletto
    -all types of containers that food came in for storage
    -shoe and delivery boxes for fabric scraps, cut up shirts, etc.
    -file holder for rulers
    -bed risers to raise cutting table
    -adjustable small table to left side of machine
    -bought mini tools at Christmas time when they were cheap
    -cardboard for template making
    -glass jars for buttons taken off recyled shirts
    -cup holder w/koozie taken off broken beach chair screwed to side of cutting table to hold scissors and pens out of the way
    -DH made a lap quilt hoop from an embrodiery hoop my mom left me.
    -when I need something I check around the house/cellar first before buying "made for quilting" items. Got this talent from my dad. He was a great improvisor.

My sewing area is also the computer room and where my DH drops everything on earth, so the room has to be multitasking....
    - a (very) purple four drawer lateral file cabinet, found at a thrift store, top drawer holds family files, other three hold fabric
    - assorted glass jars of various sizes for pencils to buttons
    - lacquered chop stick for poking out corners
    - unlacquered chop stick for moving fabric, stylus style
    - old, again thrift store find, dining table, the kind with utensil drawers, for a sewing table
    - wire shelved bakers rack at the wall end of the "sewing table" is great for the shelves, but, you can hang many things from it with "S" hooks, also can use chip clips to hang up blocks or notes or patterns
    - several different sizes of tackle style boxes to hold notions and machine accessories. Have an old plastic one given to me by my Mom when I was in junior high, 100 years ago, which lost its little trays, and it is a perfect holder for patterns
    - shoe boxes for storage
    - I use a show box lid next to my sewing machine to lay down sizzors, extra bobbin, seam ripper, stitch savers, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Hubby - he's colorblind but can't be beat when it comes to value
    When he isn't around, a pair if red lens glasses, or a least the red cellophane will work. When DD saw mine, she had to have a pair, see our glasses used when buying fabric. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-95308-1.htm

Where, pray tell, does one buy such quilt-fashionista eyeglasses? :)
    Would large-lens cheap non-prescription glasses from Rite-Aid work if you wet the lens and stick on some red plastic wrap cut to fit?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloonatic
    . . .
    Would large-lens cheap non-prescription glasses from Rite-Aid work if you wet the lens and stick on some red plastic wrap cut to fit?
    Probably, though you may experience some halo effect from the water. Squeegee well to avoid bubbles.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast