Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you USE for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Here,here! I love this thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by denveremerson View Post
    Okay. Help me out here. Why do you want to wear red glasses??
    Forget it. I got it now! LOL!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    ...Almost forgot the tackle box for all the little stuff like snaps, hooks & eyes, grommets, safety pins, etc. Great sewing box!
    my two large tackle boxes are full of buttons. they are great.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    I use the magnetic hooks to hold up my rulers on the metal cabinets in the garage or a stencil template I am using on quilt so easy access and i don't have to search around for it.

I use a 12" square mirro for under the longarm to see how the quilting is going and I do not have to roll the fabric up and one of those hallogen shop lights my husband sells so I have light to look under the longarm as well as in my machine to clean it and for the domestic machine to see the details I need and clean it up. The light has a magnet on the back so i can attach it to the metal frame of the sewing machine so I can have a close light on things when sewing, ripping, or need to just see. i steel this stuff from his stash. Also, his allen wrenches, screw drivers, and the plastic screw bins so I can organize my threads, needles, buttons, and spools. Works terrific. Also themagnetic screw tins, have two sizes so I can put different pins in each one. Then the L ruler from his tools, works terrific for squaring up blocks and to set a line for pantos on longarm. Then the binder clips to hold the tape measure in place on longarm frame. The strong magnets to hold quilt on metal frame. just saw this thread so thought I would add a couple things I use.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Tupperware lids make great templates for circles.

Jar lids hold beads or pins.

The round bobbin ring center is a great place to put your peanut M & M's so they don't roll off the sewing table.

A mason jar stores buttons in it.

An empty medicine bottle is a great place to store broken needles and bent pins. They can de thrown away safely in the container.

Blog Entries
    Something I just thought of is could a cheap white window shade that rolls up and down be used for a design wall for those of us that don't have a place for one? I guess some of that spray stuff could be put on it, or left down always could have flannel attached?
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

Blog Entries
    Question- Has anyone used a white coffee filter for paper piecing? How does it work if you have?

Susan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    Something I just thought of is could a cheap white window shade that rolls up and down be used for a design wall for those of us that don't have a place for one? I guess some of that spray stuff could be put on it, or left down always could have flannel attached?
    Yes, that is what I made mine out of. Actually used an outdoor roll up shade (figured it would be heavy duty). It is 6feet wide with a chain to roll it up and down. I took off the shade material that came with it and put on flannel (first felt, but fabric didn't stick too good to it). Then my DH mounted it over my closet. I just roll it down when I need it. I don't have an empty wall big enough for a design wall.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

I save the extra slats from blinds (when you shorten them to the correct length) to use in the rod pockets of my wall hangings. They are easily cut to size.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I wish we also had another thread for all the ideas to make life easier for those of us that have bad arthritis, and similar conditions. I have lupus, Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, etc. and right now I am trying to type with a brace on my right hand, due to nerve pain in my wrist.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I wish we also had another thread for all the ideas to make life easier for those of us that have bad arthritis, and similar conditions. I have lupus, Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, etc. and right now I am trying to type with a brace on my right hand, due to nerve pain in my wrist.
    Thanks, JuneBillie!! ... I'm sure there'd be many interested in your suggestion for a new thread and would have lots of ideas to share. So why don't you start a new thread about that?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I can't live without my little paintbrush. I use it to clean out my sewing machine under the needle and then to clean out the bobbin area.

Blog Entries
    I loved going back and reading every post; what great ideas! Many of the suggestions or ideas listed I already use so I won’t repeat here but I think that I have some new ones:

Inexpensive plastic place mats (found a new set of 4 pretty flowered ones at a yard sale for 50 cents) placed under my sewing machine and serger so they do not walk, and protect my dining room tabletop.

I have very small corks that I use instead of Pinmoors as pin point protectors, that are used as “plugs” for inserting into small holes by paint shops so that the holes do not clog up with paint when sprayed. (Sure eventually they will break down after some time of repeated use but they are cheap money for a whole bag of them, and they last a long time.)

I use a small Clorax disinfecting wipes container with hinged lid by my sewing machine and serger for threads and small fabric scraps.

Squares or circles of rubber shelf liner, to grip needle and pull through fabric.
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

Tweezers for all sorts of things sewing-related. Coffe mugs to hold thin rulers, small rotary cutters, etc & as a thread snip cup. Butter (oleo) containers to keep various odds & ends in. Spice jars to keep various sizes of pins in.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I can't live without my little paintbrush. I use it to clean out my sewing machine under the needle and then to clean out the bobbin area.
    Oh, I forgot that! I use either a small (cheap) paintbrush or an old make-up brush.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks, JuneBillie!! ... I'm sure there'd be many interested in your suggestion for a new thread and would have lots of ideas to share. So why don't you start a new thread about that?
    Yes! What a great idea! I love it & will be watching out for it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

This is fascinating reading. Hope many other quilters will enjoy all the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    Yeah but do others know what cow magnets are and why dairy farmers use them. So will send these images. GKids love playing with them. Spend endless hours looking for metal to attach to them.

Here are three of the round variety
    Attachment 258019

Here's a square shaped one
    Attachment 258020
    But you didn't say why farmers use them. They put them down the cow's throat. It ends up in the cows stomach so that if the cow eats something metal, (sometimes there is metal in their feed) the metal sticks to the magnet and doesn't pierce the cows stomach lining.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I can't believe I read the whole thing! Took about four hours and I learned a lot.
    I'll add just a few more.
    * I have mugs with handles broken off on the kitchen table, coffee table and sewing table for pens, pencils, SEAM RIPPERS, letter openers, white out, SMALL SCISSORS, 6 IN. RULER, highlighters, etc.
    * Only one other person mentioned Tupperware. I use a sweet saver to pour water into my iron; it has a spout on it meant to pour syrup and such.
    * I have a Modular Mate rectangular 1 next to my machine for STUFF. When I go to a class, I just put the seal on and go.
    * I put my three tiered table next to my machine to hold a heavy quilt while I am FMQing.
    * I have an old stereo stand on top of my table and have all my fat quarters and small stash piled up there on three shelves so that I can see the folded ends of each one. (Well, sometimes they get lost in there under other ones.)
    * I have a small metal cabinet with 15 little plastic drawers meant to hold screws, nuts, washers, etc. Only mine is full of buttons, snaps, needles, D rings, and lots of other sewing findings.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries

What is mole skin foot pad

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
    Mole Skin foot pad to mark 1/4 inch on my sewing machine. Keeps my seems really, really even
    I have problems keeping 1/4 in seams. Can you show a picture of your machine where you have it placed. Maybe I can get an idea from that.

Best tool in the world to clean lint from sewing machine is a well washed mascara brush.

One stiletto I use is an old metal dart (from a dart board game) where the feathers have been broken off.

A carpenter's square, but not so much since the advent of plastic rulers.
    Clear plastic candy containers, given-away by the market, which are great for sorting buttons, labels, cuffs and plackets from clothing deconstruction.
    Last edited by Greenheron; 12-08-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I can't believe I read the whole thing! Took about four hours and I learned a lot.
    I'll add just a few more.
    .......... and I can't believe this thread has continued to groooooooow all this time!

Thanks MavisKW and others ........ for adding more of the non-typical quilting supplies!
    ... They often come for a LOT less $$$ than the "official" quilting items, and work every bit as good (or even better!)

I have read these pages, leave for a few days and come back and read some more. THANK YOU to everyone that has made a post.

What I do with all these great ideas: I have cut & pasted all the ideas I like, into a Word documemt, then I will print them off and keep them close to my sewing area as a 'reminder' of when I need some ideas for various things. This is much easier than having to try and remember everything. LOL

HTH
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
    I have read these pages, leave for a few days and come back and read some more. THANK YOU to everyone that has made a post.

What I do with all these great ideas: I have cut & pasted all the ideas I like, into a Word documemt, then I will print them off and keep them close to my sewing area as a 'reminder' of when I need some ideas for various things. This is much easier than having to try and remember everything. LOL

HTH

Good Plan!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast