Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you USE for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

I use a door viewer to preview fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Wow, this thread has been inspiring.
    As a retired nurse, I use hemostats for everything from pulling up a bobbin thread, to holding the needle while inserting it, to pulling a needle through, to pushing out corners or reaching inside to grab a corner to pull it out on tiny things like doll clothes.
    For organization, I have a bunch of the scrapbooker's organizer cubes - about 14" WxHxDeep. They come in all kinds of configurations and snap together. The one with 4 drawers fits FQ's perfectly.
    White rice for filling pin cushions.
    Pill bottles for used pins/needles.
    Dull sewing machine needles to hang up pictures - they leave a teeny tiny hole in the drywall and stick out better than a lot of nails - they hold a decent weight for their size.
    Computer armoire - now that the computer is a laptop, the armoire is my stash/patterns/scrap/everything else that I can hide behind a door storage.
    My stapler - to add a tag with a number or letter to identify blocks - also to tag the upper right corner so I get them all in the right direction before sewing.
    And the best one is a steel slotted spoon - to reach and scratch that spot on your back where you can't reach!
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Blog Entries
    I use the fingers of latex exam gloves to help pull needles through when I hand quilt and to line up fabric pieces. I also use a laundry sorting cart that has a small ironing surface beside my sewing machine, the attached laundry bags I use to hold my larger rulers and other miscellaneous items that are too large to fit in drawers but need to be kept close at hand.
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by cindyw View Post
    I haven't seen this one yet. I have some beautiful clear glass dishes (bowls, compote dish, etc) that I got from my great grandmother and my mom. I don't set a formal table often so they were just sitting unused in the cabinet. I got a couple of them out and use them for thread scraps at the machine and for cutting scraps at the cutting table. They are pretty filled with thread and fabric scraps and I get to see them and use them.
    Looks like you've found a nice way to "use" them in a different way ... and ENJOY them!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

WOWOWOW!!! What a great topic. Here's my list of things that aren't quilting related that I use

a glass frog (used to hold fresh flowers in vases) to hold scissors, seam rippers, etc
    Hemostats (it's been mentioned but well worth mentioning again)
    Covered tv tray for my close to and small ironing board
    Decorative relish dish to hold anything in front of my sewing machine.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have written a few down and will put them to good use.
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

kso
    Tuna fish cans or cat food cans make great pattern weights.

A laundry detergent box can have the side cut at an angle to make storage boxes for patterns and magazines.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

I am using discarded bedside tables from hospital rooms for my cutting table bases. We painted them
    & bought a nice large top. works great.....with the drawer & shelves underneath.

I get the test strip container from a diabetic friend. They are the perfect size to hold bobbins and then I can put them in diffferent containers for different colours. It holds about 4 so normally its enough for a project.

I have the magnetic bowl from the car place for pins.

Those clips for when your riding a bicycle for your pants, they were alot cheaper at the bike place then the actual Quilt ones.

a peg board wall. it holds all my rulers on hooks so I can get them easily.

Thats all I can think of that I have right now.

Blog Entries
    Cook book holder mounted on the wall over my sewing machine to hold the instructions for the quilt I am making, a cheap computer desk (free) mounted on bed risers as a cutting table.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I use a number of the items already mentioned, but I also use items from the fishing section. My notions box is a fishing lure one, half the price of a very similar one in the sewing store. I also use fishing lure organizers to store all my sewing needles in their original packages (and I have lots!). I also use a tool bag from the hardware store to carry my Featherweight sewing machine. It fits the bottom of the machine perfectly and has lots of little compartments to store "stuff".

Pam

Whitman Sampler tins to store things like buttons, beads, ribbons, pins, needles, perle cotton, special threads, rotary cutter blades, lace, marking pencils, etc. I have 27 of them in several sizes collected over many years. They make me smile in the studio and they are wonderfully enjoyable to empty. Can't beat quilting and chocolate!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Large Cremora container (when empty) to hold water for my iron - has nice spout to pour with and holds quite a bit of water.
    A tissue holder to put my threads and little scraps in - the small square ones that stand tall. I thought I would just toss it when full, but I like it so much I just empty it and keep using. It is pretty too.

pipe cleaners for cleaning tension disks.
    small paint brush for cleaning lint out of machine.

fabric covered toilet paper rolls to hold my cords.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by cindyw View Post
    I haven't seen this one yet. I have some beautiful clear glass dishes (bowls, compote dish, etc) that I got from my great grandmother and my mom. I don't set a formal table often so they were just sitting unused in the cabinet. I got a couple of them out and use them for thread scraps at the machine and for cutting scraps at the cutting table. They are pretty filled with thread and fabric scraps and I get to see them and use them.
    I use old glass ashtrays.

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    I converted a wooden papertowel holder for large spools of thread. I drilled small holes in the base and put in two more dowels and put some eyelet lag screws in the top for thread guides. It can hold 3 large thread cones.
    What a fantastic idea!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    Large Cremora container (when empty) to hold water for my iron - has nice spout to pour with and holds quite a bit of water.
    A tissue holder to put my threads and little scraps in - the small square ones that stand tall. I thought I would just toss it when full, but I like it so much I just empty it and keep using. It is pretty too.
    Cremora ... I have no clue what that is!

Kleenex boxes ... good idea

I stuff old kleenex boxes with used fabric softener sheets, ready for when I go to work with "crumbs".

(and old kleenex boxes get stuffed with plastic grocery bags)

Here's one I don't think I posted before ....

Cow Magnets! ... in a tin box makes a great pin catcher. Then you can put the lid on easily if putting away, or transporting! (and yes, I know ... consider the safety around the computerized machines)

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Cremora ... I have no clue what that is!

Kleenex boxes ... good idea
    Cremora is a brand of creamer for coffee - There are many brands now - some have better bottles than others and the plastic advertising comes off so it is just a plain bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    Cremora is a brand of creamer for coffee - There are many brands now - some have better bottles than others and the plastic advertising comes off so it is just a plain bottle.
    Thanks! I don't think we have that here. Though I'd be a poor one to know, as I only buy the "real" thing ... job security for the cow!!

I rarely rarely use water in my iron ... and when I do, I find a 500 ml water bottle works great for transporting and pouring it into it.

Blog Entries
    I love these but I can not find them any more. I am missing 2 fingers on my right hand and these made threading and pulling threads come easy, and the hang on any peg.

PALM BENT NOSE PLIER M22-105 MERRY >>

http://mutsuurahonten.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/115756223-101766038/PALM_BENT_NOSE_PLIER_M22_105_MERRY.html
    merry tools>>

I use a pant hanger (hold multiple pairs of pants) to hold my cones of thread. It will also hold spools, but you have to take too many off to get the one you want. Hang in the closet and uses less space than a regular spool holder.

Ping-Pong table for laying out quilts to baste, folds up after use!

an ex office fabric covered large display board for a display wall (was used by a dress designer and picked up from freecycle )
    Also use it is as a room divider
    Last edited by mummyismean; 01-10-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Among the many things I consider basic essentials are: compressed foam campers mat cut to fit under machines --reduces travel and such from vibrations as i RUN FULL STEAM AHEAD! lol Carpenter's Metal Squares both a large one and a smaller version. Small pliers kit from Sears includes needle nose as well as wire nippers etc., freezer paper, carpenter's blue pencil, tackle boxes --esp. like the little ones that have the rust inhibitor in them to keep my machine accessories in, C Clamps, parchment paper from the kitchen, blue painter's tape, electrical tape and duck tape, still keep an assortment of wire handy too. Think I will journal my list as I need to get my gear back together. Oh yes, a rolling mechanics tool chest to keep it in!

I use dog bowls with a wide lip around the top as a circle ruler for my longarm. Turn it upside down and put little sandpaper dots under the lip.
    Beth in Maryland

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast