Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff you USE for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by An Arm Long View Post
    I use dog bowls with a wide lip around the top as a circle ruler for my longarm. Turn it upside down and put little sandpaper dots under the lip.
    Not sure I understand what you are using it for .... as a pattern for quilting circles?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbpr View Post
    I use a curtain rod, bungee cords and chip clips to hang wallhangings (finished and in progress) in my quilt room.
    ​What a brilliant idea!!! I will using this for certain!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

[QUOTE=kaygee;4236576]I use the sticky roller (lint roller) on the carper around my work area and also to take the small threads left on the material after I had to rip a seam open.[/QUOTE
    What a Great suggestion....I hate those small threads and picking them out!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Gum containers for safety pins

Smile Mole Skin

Quote Originally Posted by Frolfsen View Post
    Where do you get a "mole skin foot pad" to mark the 1/4" line on your plate? Sounds like a nifty idea!

It is a Dr. Scholls foot product...check the Health and Beauty Area of grocery store or Walmart...

Judy in Phx, AZ

Here's a new one that I learned at a quilting course recently ...

* an old credit card or affinity card or key card .... use it as a scraper to clean up your rotary cutting mat
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I put an old tricot nightgown over my clothes when I'm sewing. Keeps the "quilt poop" from attaching to me. Just slides right off!
    ROFLOL .....quilt poop, I have NEVER heard it called that before. So I guess in reality you have a poop gown????
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

I know there are many different types of thread and bobbin holders but none that my Bernina 830 bobbins will fit in so i thread a pipe cleaner (chineel (sp?) stem through the spool of thread and then the matching bobbin. Hold everything together and lays neatly in the flat drawers of a scrapbooking paper cabinet.

Did anyone already mention the floss threaders? In the dental hygiene area- I think helpful to get floss started for people with braces. Great for threading yarns and ribbons when embellishing etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    I converted a wooden papertowel holder for large spools of thread. I drilled small holes in the base and put in two more dowels and put some eyelet lag screws in the top for thread guides. It can hold 3 large thread cones.
    great idea!!!!

My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

OK here is one item I drag across continents to make sure I have.

Battery operated hair clippers.
    They will gently, and without cutting the fabric, part your erroneous seams like magic!

Get at the pet store, or even the dollar store, in CA. The smaller the better so you can have one hand free and one for the cutter. I almost never use a seam ripper now. Clippers can be pretty lousy quality and still last years as all you are cutting is thread in a line.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Z
    Rocks and stones that I have collected when I travel to different places get used as weights for patterns, fabric, quilt pieces or whatever might need to be held down. A couple of small baskets with handles make it quick and easy to use the rocks wherever I need them. They are certainly more enjoyable to use than the commercial metal weights.

Blog Entries
    I use a banana ripening stand for my big spools of thread. Works good. One of those you hang your bananas from when they are not quie ripe and they hang out till they are ready to eat. I have metal ones, but have seen wooden ones that you can drill a hole in for a wooden dowel to set large spool on. I just sit the spool down under the hook and works great till one of the furbabies decide to stroll between the machine and the spool. There are also smaller ones that are made to hold a hanging candle holder that works great. Have a tall one of those taped to a board to use on the big spools. Three machines set up so need more than one.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JabezRose View Post
    I... Have a tall one of those taped to a board to use on the big spools. Three machines set up so need more than one.
    how is the 3 machines set up working for you? i have 2 set up right now and looking for room to set a third in a cabinet up. are you getting more sewing done?
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Wow, some really great ideas here. I use a lint roller to pick up loose threads from the back of a quilt before quilting it and I use it on my ironing board.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

2 $1.00 store rubber door stoppers to angle my machine
    digital camera, best design tool out there
    personal size table for sewing machine
    rubber placemat cut up and put under sewing machine foot peddle
    pants coat hanger to hang the quilts waiting to be loaded and quilted
    dish scrubbie to cean cutting mat
    flannel backed table cloth as hanging design wall
    flannel covered stretched canvas, portable design wall
    blue painters tape, multiple uses
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

This may have been mentioned, I haven't read all the pages. Those little foam toe separators when you get a pedicure, make great bobbin holders
    Attached Images Attached Images

needle nose pliers to pull the needle through when hand piecing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    how is the 3 machines set up working for you? i have 2 set up right now and looking for room to set a third in a cabinet up. are you getting more sewing done?
    No, not really, can only run one a a time. One upstairs, two in dungeon. Dungeon ones are used the most, have different colored thread on them so depends on what quilt top I am working on. And different foot on each one so no switching back and forth. A FW, a 301A and I do believe it is a old Janome if they made a Vogue which I have used for quite a few years. Love that machine.

Blog Entries
    2 (2 drawer) filing cabinets, with a narrow closet door on top, to make a free table -
    clean plastic boxes (from Sams cookies) to hold strips in various sizes, labeled as 2 1/2, 3/ 3 1/2,etc widths
    Hard plastic cat litter buckets (from Sams) to hold scraps, cut to various sizes (2",3",4",etc)
    half bushel (farmers market produce baskets) sitting on top of the fabric cabinets, to hold things like mens ties, sewing patterns,orphan squares, etc
    2 large, white cabinets (from Lowes) that hold the stash (top shelves have fabric on bolts, bought in quanity for backings)
    Used desk bottom half (the hutch was missing) from Goodwill (7.00) for cutting mat .........also ironing board (made from a piece of plywood, covered with batting and fabric)
    looseleaf notebooks (from Goodwill, a dollar each) to hold all the free patterns from the internet(I use up a lot of computer ink)
    large coffee mug to hold the cones of thread
    old pill bottles to hold old needles, pins,etc (sharp things to toss)
    cofffee creamer bottle to hold old rotary blades (to toss)
    small beverage plastic bottle to keep water for the steam iron
    Belt hoop to hold all the rulers, and hang it on a cup hook
    round basket to hold all the larger thread cones in
    a tin to hold the bobbins (mine held a rotary cutter from ebay)
    old microwave cart (10.00 goodwill find) to hold the plastic boxes with all the strips (measured and cut already)
    a large basket beside the machine to catch all the scraps as they accumulate (and then you have to measure, cut, file into the correct size cat liitter buckets)
    *I have my small scissors tied to the machine drawer pull, with red ribbon...........seems I was always dropping the scissors and having to pick them up........now they are on the ribbon, so all I have to do to pick them up is pull.......
    Magnetic telescope from Harbor Freight to pick up all those pins I dropped on the floor
    a small plastic trash can on BOTH sides of the machine
    a design wall hanging on the closet door, made from a flannel backed table cloth from the Dollar Tree Store
    A coffee can for all the safety pins (we never have enough of those)
    A pretty old china bowl (deep dish) for all the long, straight pins
    a pretty old cookie tin that holds all the normal size thread spools
    an old china cream pitcher pin-cushion
    And I think that is all I can remember...........this is a wonderful thread and I have sure heard a lot of good suggestions to try. Thanks to all who have contributed their great ideas

Blog Entries
    Learning a lot from this. I also have learned that the bottom of the paper shredders make great little trash cans because they fit snug against wall, or whatever, table legs. After the paper shredder part dies, recycyle that and use the catch container for trash.

A bread slicer to hold rulers, [the ones used for homemade bread], tic-tac container for old needles..

When I got my new Horizon, I couldn't afford another sewing cabinet, and couldn't find a table low enough to be comfortable. Hubby took me to IKEA and we found a corner desk top, with the front curved in, and adjustable legs. All under $130! I have it set low enough to take the strain off my shoulders and there's plenty of work space on either side of my machine, and lots of room behind the machine to support my quilts. It's perfect. Sits in a corner between my other sewing cabinet and a chest of drawers that hold my sewing notions. Sure beats a $1500 cabinet!!! Love, love, love it!!!!

Okay. Help me out here. Why do you want to wear red glasses??

Desktop pen organizer for scissors, ripper, etc.
    Folding 6ft plastic topped camping table for cutting table
    Old school desk (modern type metal with formica top) for my sewing machine to sit on
    Flannel back vinyl tablecloth for design wall
    Small magnetic paper clip holder for straight pins
    Clear plastic push pins to hold rulers on wall
    Currently using not yet refurbished treadle machine (in cabinet) as extension of my sewing table area - right next to that school desk that just happens to be adjusted to the same height.
    All sizes of ziplock bags for organizing projects, patterns, templates, etc.
    Haven't gotten them yet, but cinder blocks to raise my cutting table to a more convenient height.
    Shelves and wall runners from an office supply store that sold out for organizing my fabric

edited to add
    Allmost forgot the tackle box for all the little stuff like snaps, hooks & eyes, grommets, safety pins, etc. Great sewing box!
    Last edited by mom-6; 06-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast