Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid Sewing Machine >

Stupid Sewing Machine

Stupid Sewing Machine

Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 AM

i have had that kind of problem with other machines untill i learned to clean the bobin area after ever project if i forget my machine lets me know i have loops in the bobin sewing also you might check to make shure your maching is treaded right this can cause these problems it would also help to get a walking foot somtimes if i try to do things with a heaver fabric i have to use my walking foot or i get loops because the top is not going trough at the same time as this bottom i hope this helps good luck
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM

some on had mentioned bottom thread 'looping' in another chain recently... there was mention that the problem was the bobbin she was using wasn't the correct size, causing the thread to come off the bobbin too quickly, no matter what you did to the tension.... I had a singer that I loved for years, then after I had it tuned up I had a never ending problem with this, I wish I had thought of changing the bobbin type, or brand before I got rid of the machine... try that, what's the worst that can happen? oh, yeah, I agree with everyone else, rip them out and redo them. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Sorry, but the seam ripper is the way to go... Been there done that:< If you adjust the tension your machine may not be too bad.
I agree, take them out.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Look on ebay...
You will get a better deal on that foot.
Judi

Originally Posted by SuzyM
All ripped out it went much faster than I thought it would. The first pass of cross hatching is done and after a break I will do the second pass. It is a lap size quilt at least I wasn't working on my usual mammoth quilt that I make. I am hoping to be just working on sewing the binding by hand tonight.

I called the lqs to find out how much a Bernina walking foot cost and it was $180 FAINT!!!!!. I guess I won't be buying that foot anytime soon. My mom did buy quite a few feet so I do have a wide variety.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
All ripped out it went much faster than I thought it would. The first pass of cross hatching is done and after a break I will do the second pass. It is a lap size quilt at least I wasn't working on my usual mammoth quilt that I make. I am hoping to be just working on sewing the binding by hand tonight.

I called the lqs to find out how much a Bernina walking foot cost and it was $180 FAINT!!!!!. I guess I won't be buying that foot anytime soon. My mom did buy quite a few feet so I do have a wide variety.
Our Bernina center has what they call 20/20.
We pay $20 at the beginning of the year or even now if we haven't already signed up. With that card we can get 20% off most anything in store any time of the year. I ended up paying $139.99 for a $174.99 walking foot plus tax.
Today I got a $103.99 buttonhole foot for $83.14 plus tax.
It really pays off. If we go to special classes and we have it we get 25% off. Being that I recently bought a new Bernina not the cheaper Bernette my card has paid for itself. I didn't get 20% off my machine ( it was on sale) but the attachments that I bought that day, I did. So ask your dealer if they have that or it might be just our local one who came up with it. My first Bernina I had for 16 years and the owner of shop knows that I quilt so she made sure I got another decent one.
Good luck with your mothers. Sometimes it only takes once to sit and use something of a loved ones. She is looking down on you and telling you to enjoy it. If you don't understand something on it, your dealer will help.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Sounds like you have a thread caught somewhere in the path of either the top threading or the bobbin. I'd check it out closer, clean with a brush cause lint in the bobbin area will cause that too.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM

i am glad you are all straightened out now and i was going to agree with everyone else ripping is the way to go and get the machine fixed so when you sew on it the next time it wont be so frustrating
Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Sell the Bernette and take the money you get from it and buy that walking foot for your mom's machine. I feel closer to my mom (who is in Heaven) when I am using something of hers. She is smiling down on you when you are sewing on her machine. You are very fortunate that your dad gave it to you. I'm sure she approved of it or he would not have given it to you. Use it and be happy!!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

You might want to spray starch the backing fabric before machine quilting again; it really helps with preventing puckers, especially if you are not using a walking foot. No need to iron, since the quilt is already layered. You can just spray lightly, let it dry, spray one or two more times, and be ready for quilting.
I love that idea...it never occurred to me to starch without ironing!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM

suzy There is a web site that has cheaper prices on feet including a Bernina. I think it is called www.BestBuy.com I found it on this site . Good luck Use your mother`s machine she is shinning down on you and very happy you are enjoying her machine Janey