Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Substitute for BestPress?

I use the Best Press on my garments as well. LOVE it.

Blog Entries
    I will stand behind the Best Press. I always buy the refill bottle when I have a 50% off coupon and refill my spray bottle. I get mine at Hancock Fabrics. My favorite LQS sells it too but for much more than Hancock's. I also water mine down. I will use about 2/3 best press to 1/3 water in my spray bottle. I get the same results as if I use it full strength. I use it when I iron/press anything, including clothes.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    2 cups water, 1/4 cup CHEAP vodka, a few drops 100 percent Lavender essential oil. Mix it, pour it into a spray bottle with a fine mist, and away you go.
    I had Best Press and I agree it is quite expensive. I found something by Dryel that was a good substitute but of course it disappeared. I learned it was repackaged as a Bounce product with the Bounce smell in it . Its called Bounce ironing spray. Walmart did not carry it last time I looked. I have not used it since the change.
    I made up the mixture of the vodka and water and essential oil. I LOVE it. It gives a smooth finish like the expensive stuff. I tried starch alone, then the homemade ironing spray alone, to test For finish work I like the ironing spray best. I use it on my clothes too. What I have been doing with my fabric is spraying it with a light mixture of starch , rolling it and when I am ready to iron spraying it with the ironing spray.
    OH BTW you are not limited to lavender. I used Rosemary for clearing my head while I iron. I have also used Peppermint to wake me up. But make sure they are essential oils not cooking extracts. Big difference. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    2 cups water, 1/4 cup CHEAP vodka, a few drops 100 percent Lavendar essential oil. Mix it, pour it into a spray bottle with a fine mist, and away you go.
    The last time I did this, I picked up a bottle of citrus vodka by accident. It works just as well as the plain stuff, but smells great!

Hubby always says he can tell when I've got the iron on, because the upstairs smells like happy hour. With the citrus stuff, he asked if I wanted a bottle of champagne to go with it, for fuzzy navels.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

I really like Best Press but like the Niagra non-aerosol price much better. Depends on what I am working on which I use. Both work very well.

Blog Entries
    I also love the Niagara is a plastic spray bottle. It smells so fresh and clean and works wonderfully. It also comes in Max, a more heavier starch which works great for bias edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndaloo View Post
    I use this too. Love the stuff!
    "I'm singing in the rain!......"

http://quiltingandotherramblings.blogspot.com/

I like buying the liquid starch that you add water to to use. You can make it so your fabric doesn't get as stiff, just by diluting it a little more. I confess, I do love the Best Press, but I buy it by the gallon (when I do buy it) to save money. I use it on hubs work clothes b/c you don't have to worry about the flaking....
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

This is a recipe for something very similar to best press. Mark Lipinski's starch recipe:
    Boil 1 qt water
    Dissolve 4 Tab liquid starch in 2 cups cold water (this makes a light starch--use more for a heavy starch).
    Add this to boiling water and return to boil.
    Then add 2 more cups of cold water--place in spray bottle (I put the extra in plastic milk jugs). Store in cool
    place. I love this mix. I use light starch and add a bit of lavender water.

Blog Entries
    I buy a gallon of Best Press on line from Joann's when they have a 50% off coupon. It is normally around $60 so 1/2 off sure makes it more affordable. I use it on everything.
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

Blog Entries
    Yesterday I made vodka spray starch, 1/4 Cup Vodka, 2 cup water (scant), and a few drops of rose water. Works wonderfully. Make sure you use a spray bottle that has been cleaned thoroughly, (re use, re cycle, re gift), I love it. So far I think it works as well as the Best Press. I have had difficulty with the Best Press bottle leaking, so I didn't reuse that bottle. Does any one else have a problem with Best Press bottles leaking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyb View Post
    Was there something posted on the board at one time about there being something out there that could be used in place of Best Press (spelling?)? I was at our guild meeting the other day and we were working on a new project and the lady leading the class was talking about how she uses Best Press for all of her quilting projects but that it is quite expensive. She let us use her's and it did give the material a nice press and feel. Thank you for any help or info you can give me.

sandyb
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Love Best Press, but you're right, it's expensive! One of the ladies in my guild said she dilutes it and it works great. Pretty sure she said she waters it down 50/50.

Have to say, the vodka idea sounds pretty inviting! Would make a great gift for a quilty friend--you could make you're own label and put it on a squirt bottle from a dollar-type store.

Thanks!
    Carole

Many of the quilt shops carry Best Press. I love it. I have used Niagara and can't tell any difference.
    Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Mostly LQS carry Best Press. I love the Vodka mix without the lavendar. Then you could drink or starch depending on the need...lol
    I love your attitude!! I will have to try the vodka spray.

gus
    Blog Entries
    Mix best press with 1/2 water it still works and lasts longer
    Gus Olson

Blog Entries
    So many options! I guess the main thing is to use somthing - I made lots of quilts with no starch, then decided to try Best Press - I'll never make another quilt without using some sort of starch or alternitive - makes lots of difference!

I don't know what that is--can you tell me? Clarice

I just use spray sizing (not spray starch).
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Mostly LQS carry Best Press. I love the Vodka mix without the lavendar. Then you could drink or starch depending on the need...lol
    I love this!! Drink or starch!!! I'm a gin drinker I wonder if it would work too.

I'm feeling a bit dense - does this vodka & water mix actually get the same results as starch? It stabilizes fabrics, even 'stiffens' it a bit? thanks.
    Pat

Thank you for the tip - I will add Best Press to my shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by pippi65 View Post
    No wonder my quarter inch seam is never accurate!! I have to have a little nip of the vodka as I iron. Helps it go by faster!! Just couldn't resist!!
    No too many nips Pippi if using your rotary cutter!
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

I use the Niagra too. I emptied it into a bigger spray bottle and and water to it. I is great stuff. I buy several bottles when it's on sale.

Blog Entries
    I have used Best Press, Vodka and water, and liquid startch. The liquid startch is great if washing 2 -3 yards as you put this in the rinse cycle. Then I would almost dry it and finish drying with a hot iron. When I'm done, it feels almost new. The vodka mixture worked almost as good as Best Press, I had to use more of it. But with the cost being under $1 for the same amount of best press. I did find that the vodka did not leave a heavy stiffness. Best Press works wonderfully, but the cost does not out weigh the benefits. I believe $50 a gallon is absolutely absurd, that's five yards of fabric.
    The Quilting Bear

I really do like using Best Press, it is my favorite, but I have used the Niagra Spray in the spray bottle, its pretty good, have yet to try the vodka mixture, but since its the holiday season I'm sure one of my husbands relatives will bring cheap vodka to the party and not remember to take it home, so I guess now is the time to try it, will let you know how or if I like it
    happy to have enough stash fabric at all time

I have the Niagra non-aerosol, but have trouble with it flaking. Love Best Press - but ... as everyone has said - $$$. I'll dilute both of them next time.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast