Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Substitute for BestPress?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    Does any one else have a problem with Best Press bottles leaking?
    Sure do!!! If I forget to twist the nozzle to the off position it will drip dreadfully- expensive mess!!

You ladies are lucky I am reading all of your theads this evening. I found a product from Bounce. It is bounce ironing spray in an orange spray bottle at Walmart. It is fairly new and not in most stores yet. First I picked up a small bottle for $1 in the samples isle. After trying it, I went back and purchased the big size. 16 oz. is $3.20 in VA. I folded a fat quarter in half and ironed half with Best Press and half with Bounce. The Bounce compared very well and is much cheaper. At any rate, if you are sold on Best Press it is worth a try. Also, you don't have to keep shaking it all the time. They advertise it as "crisp like starch, no flaking, no clogging."

Quote Originally Posted by Beulah View Post
    You ladies are lucky I am reading all of your theads this evening. I found a product from Bounce. It is bounce ironing spray in an orange spray bottle at Walmart. It is fairly new and not in most stores yet. First I picked up a small bottle for $1 in the samples isle. After trying it, I went back and purchased the big size. 16 oz. is $3.20 in VA. I folded a fat quarter in half and ironed half with Best Press and half with Bounce. The Bounce compared very well and is much cheaper. At any rate, if you are sold on Best Press it is worth a try. Also, you don't have to keep shaking it all the time. They advertise it as "crisp like starch, no flaking, no clogging."
    ok, I am on the search for this Bounce spray. I guess Target has it I read! Will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by deltaquilter View Post
    This is a recipe for something very similar to best press. Mark Lipinski's starch recipe:
    Boil 1 qt water
    Dissolve 4 Tab liquid starch in 2 cups cold water (this makes a light starch--use more for a heavy starch).
    Add this to boiling water and return to boil.
    Then add 2 more cups of cold water--place in spray bottle (I put the extra in plastic milk jugs). Store in cool
    place. I love this mix. I use light starch and add a bit of lavender water.

Thanks for posting this recipe. I was looking for my copy of it to post.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I am hoping to find lavender oil at my drug store or health food store. Lavendar will do wonders for a musty sink base cabinet and other smells. Am hoping it will keep that funny old fabric smell out of my fabrics that have sat in my stash for a long time.
    Am looking for a sizing concentrate that a neighbor [40 years ago] used to use. It was great, could make the strength you wanted and it was so much more economical that the spray cans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    2 cups water, 1/4 cup CHEAP vodka, a few drops 100 percent Lavendar essential oil. Mix it, pour it into a spray bottle with a fine mist, and away you go.
    . Amen! This definitely works BETTER than Best Press and a real money saver. Plus, it's my favorite fragrance, not someone who decides for me or no fragrance at all.
    My choice!

Best Press substitute - Thank you to all who responded to the Best Press question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyb View Post
    Was there something posted on the board at one time about there being something out there that could be used in place of Best Press (spelling?)? I was at our guild meeting the other day and we were working on a new project and the lady leading the class was talking about how she uses Best Press for all of her quilting projects but that it is quite expensive. She let us use her's and it did give the material a nice press and feel. Thank you for any help or info you can give me.

sandyb
    I have been off the board all week. Thank you all for all the suggestions for the Best Press substitute. I will have to try the Niagra and the Bounce. Have a great day.

Sandyb

I also love Best Press. I have a couple of the spray bottles and wait to get coupons from Hancock Fabrics to buy the quart size refill liquid as it does get expensive. I also had to stop using the lavendar scented one - I liked it but it was just too strong a smell. Joann's does not carry it in our area but Hancock's always does and it goes on sale occasionally.
    Shannon

I have tried different "formulas" and none really match Best Press. I try to use a JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics coupon to get mine.

I just ordered a gallon of Best Press from Joanne's online. Had a 50% coupon for one item and live an hour away from the nearest store so that worked for me. THeir spray bottles - 16 oz? - are on sale 1/2 price as well. You had to order $50 to get free shipping and I didn't do that, but the gallon bottle still came out cheaper even with shipping.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Amazon also carries Best Press, non-Aerosol Niagara, and some others. Best Press (gallon) qualifies for free shipping.

Blog Entries
    Here are some recipes for Best Press Substitutes that I saved from the old Board. I have not as yet tried any of them as I live in a Dry County.

Starch Substitutes

1. 2 cups distilled water
    2 ounces vodka
    20 drops lavender essential oil

2. 24 oz distilled water
    3 oz vodka
    1 teaspoon scented oil(optional)

Use cheap vodka and shake before using.

3. Yes, it's 1/4 c. vodka
    2 c. distilled water
    essential oil of your choice (few drops)

4. The one I like ~
    Best Press Substitute ~ Mix together:

1 tsp lavender essential oil (found in Wal-Mart/Michaels- candle making supplies or drug stores) Note: optional if allergic to scents.
    3 oz. vodka
    Then add to 24oz distilled water in large spray bottle and shake well.

Hint: Vodka is made from potatoes, a natural starch.

5. Here's my recipe:

2 cups distilled water
    2 oz vodka
    a few drops of essential fragrance oil

I also add a small amount of liquid starch when I want more body
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

When you put the lavender oil into the vodka and water, can you still drink it? Just kidding. Nothing compares to Best Press IMHO, but it makes me cough no matter what scent I use, so I use it sparingly. You can find it online or at your LQS.
    Sue

I use best press for long term projects that wont be washed anytime soon. I use the cheap stuff for quilts that will be put together and washed soon. I did not know Joann's had best press by the gallon! Going to have to find that and use a coupon. Thanks for the tip Dolphyngyrl! :-)

QJ1
    If you make your own Best Press subsitute using Vodka, use a POTATO based Vodka. 2 cups water, 1/4 c vodka, and about 10 drops essesential oil of your liking, or leave out. Shake well before using. Works well.
    QJ!

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    Yesterday I made vodka spray starch, 1/4 Cup Vodka, 2 cup water (scant), and a few drops of rose water. Works wonderfully. Make sure you use a spray bottle that has been cleaned thoroughly, (re use, re cycle, re gift), I love it. So far I think it works as well as the Best Press. I have had difficulty with the Best Press bottle leaking, so I didn't reuse that bottle. Does any one else have a problem with Best Press bottles leaking?
    I've had a problem with the bottle leaking as well. I had it on a bookcase and I now have a ring. Regardless, I still like the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Landers View Post
    I just use spray sizing (not spray starch).
    Landers, I bought Magic Sizing and then found that it has the same ingredients as the starch products. Can you tell me what you're using?

Thanks.

OK - read the whole thread and still have a question. I bought a container of Magic Sizing but then saw that the ingredients were the same as some of the starch products offered at Walmart. I was trying to avoid starch because I read that because it's made from corn, it will attract silverfish if stored for a long time. (I'm the queen of unfinished quilt tops so my fabrics would sit for a long time before being washed again.)

Have any of you heard this or had this experience? The thought of those critters makes me nauseous.

Thanks. I will be trying the vodka recipe. I've used the Best Press but it is expensive.

if I want a stiffer fabric from the at home recipe what kinda of liquid starch do I use??? Im assuming I can find it in the laundry isle.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your comments, recipes, and recommendations! Guess I will try the vodka recipe as I have some vodka and don't drink it - like gin better!

Blog Entries
    I guess when my non-aerosol spray thingie is empty, I'll fill it with vodka and water. No one will be the wiser re why I'm having so much more fun than usual in my sewing cave.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I just bought a gallon of Best Press from Amazon for $22.00. At my LQS they want $50.00. I love this stuff but couldn't afford the high price so in the google search engine I put in the name "Best Press" and a whole lot came up and I found people selling it on Amazon. Try there.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    I guess when my non-aerosol spray thingie is empty, I'll fill it with vodka and water. No one will be the wiser re why I'm having so much more fun than usual in my sewing cave.
    Still wondering if gin will work (as a spray starch - LOL). I use Best Press but dilute it 50/50 with water and will be on the lookout for gallon size with 50% off coupons. I am slowly getting our prayer quilt ministry used to the idea that a quilt top should be FLAT before we continue the process of finishing the quilt and having the Best Press bottle next to the iron sure has helped the finishing process.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramily View Post
    I use the Niagra too. I emptied it into a bigger spray bottle and and water to it. I is great stuff. I buy several bottles when it's on sale.
    I, too, did not like the price of Best Press (though I think it is a great product) so I have used Niagra aerosol. I will have to look for the non-aerosol, as that is more my preference. I go back and forth on using any spray. However, I do prefer to spray at least water on my fabric. Must be from the old/golden days of ironing. LOL

I use Niagra non-aerosol, and (occasionally) Best Press. Here is another recipe for a starch alternative -- I have tired it and it worked fine, but I am lazy (I have also made my own from concentrate, but that is work too). I think I like the Niagra best.

Spray Sizing Recipe>>
    Ingredients:>>
    1 heaping tablespoon corn starch>>
    1 pint cold water>>
    1-2 drops essential oil (optional)>>
    Preparation:>>
    Combine the cornstarch and water in a bowl, and stir untilthe cornstarch is completely dissolved. (The mixture will be milky in color) >>
    Add in a couple drops of essential oil for fragrance, ifdesired. >>
    Then, transfer to a spray bottle, and use. >>
    2. A little goes a long way, so use sparingly.>>
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast