Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions for using boxer shorts >

suggestions for using boxer shorts

suggestions for using boxer shorts

Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach
I would make a biscuit or puff quilt especially if the fabric is thin since the puff gets sewed onto other fabric. The are easy to make and honestly I like them better without a pattern just all different colored puffs.
what is a puff quilt, do you have pictures, I told dk to use the backing fabric, but I like the snowball idea and she could use yellow and brown for the sashing colors. I "Spy" under the flaps might be embarassing to the boy. Dk did she say if she wanted the quilt to be recognized as boxers? And the other one could you do that as progressing from young to his age now?. Maybe u could leave the elastic on and make a wall hanging one for his dorm and he can put letters and papers in the boxer instead of a bulletin board. hmmm so many things to think about. I am going to bed and sleep on it...........
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM

I would make a flip n sew quilt! The one where you use an old sheet cut into 12 in or larger squares. Then cut the boxers onto strips and sew on the sheet. If your interested PM me for more instructions! Terry
Old 11-13-2009, 03:11 AM

yes what is a puff quilt. mom wants a quilt also out of the leftovers so she has something to remember him with. her sister usually quilts for her but she has a bad back and did not want to this time. have until next may to get it done. thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

you must post a picture when you get done!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 AM

with a puff or biscuit quilt you essentially cut rectangles, stitch into squares leaving open to put batting inside then stitch closed, then stitch the squares together.. when you finish putting the blocks together the quilt is done.. That is oversimplified, but the basic idea.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by Tippy
with a puff or biscuit quilt you essentially cut rectangles, stitch into squares leaving open to put batting inside then stitch closed, then stitch the squares together.. when you finish putting the blocks together the quilt is done.. That is oversimplified, but the basic idea.
You took the words out of my mouth.

The bonus is they are fast to make as they are tied not quilted. The top square is cut larger then the bottom. You pleat the top square on all 4 sides. Sew 3 sides, stuff with polyfill (batting works but is lumpy) and then sew the 4th side. Take 2 squares and sew together the raw edge will be the back. When all squares are sewed together pin it to a backing. For a puff quilt you tie in in the center of each square and it looks like little puff. For a bisquit quilt you tie it at the corner of the square and the quilt looks like a pan of biscuits. They make real cute quilts and for some reason they remind me of Christmas. You know the pictures of mice sleeping in a match box waiting for Santa they always are covered with a quilt and it is usually a biscuit quilt all nice an puffy looking.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:54 PM

This is a new one! I have never heard of using underwear. What's next, making a quilt out of thongs?? Maybe for someone living in a warm climate! Please post a picture of the finished project.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Dix

I saw a quilt pattern in a shop one day that had boxer shorts appliqued to a 12 1/2 inch block. They were all cut from fabric of golf, fishing, and any other type of fabric. The band, as I remember, were plain colors. This was a darling pattern, but I had no boys to sew for so I did not get the pattern. Sorry, I can't be of more help1
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM

i am getting ready to tackle the boxer quilt. here is a sample what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61155.jpe