Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Sunday Mystery Quilt

I'm thinking about doing the mystery quilt here - as long as I can find the yardage in my stash. I really don't want to buy more fabric beyond what I need to buy today that is lol. I *might* have enough yardage for a green/red one or maybe a yellow purple. I'll have to look and see what I have. I'm intrigued by it so I'm going to really try to make it work.

I'm going to start on a corduroy quilt this weekend and do not have the colors and yardage that I need to begin so off I go to Fayetteville to get some...

Fabriclovr
    Hi Everyone!

What a week this has been! Only worked 4 days, but it seams like 6! Now I can get back to quilting. I am going to put the blocks together and take pictures of my progress so you will have them for your assembly process. I hope that won't take me all day like the cutting instructions. Of course, I had to start from scratch with them . .

Ok, so how many are going to be joining us next weekend to work on this quilt? It is not going to be a very big quilt, my measurements show it at about 44 x 55, but it you wanted to increase the borders, you could make it a smaller lap quilt. I am sure that the measurements for the fabric that I have given are plenty for any increase you might want to make.

Are the directions so far easy to read and understand?

Are there any questions that you have that you would like to ask?

I will be here for the weekend, so ask or comment away.. we have one week and a day before the party begins and I want everyone to be ready when I release the 2nd clue on the 5th.

Does everyone have their time zone figured out in relationship to mine? (MST Arizona) I posted a link earlier that shows time zones that should help everyone with that answer.

Looking forward to this, it should be fun!

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    have enough yardage for a green/red one or maybe a yellow purple. I'll have to look and see what I have.
    Please don't misunderstand, you do not need to use the colors that I have listed. These are only examples of what complementary colors are on the color wheel. Please use any combination you want, it is your quilt.
    Here is an example of the color pallet that I am using.

Name:  color palet.bmp
Views: 259
Size:  76.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    Please don't misunderstand, you do not need to use the colors that I have listed. These are only examples of what complementary colors are on the color wheel. Please use any combination you want, it is your quilt.
    Here is an example of the color pallet that I am using.

Name:  color palet.bmp
Views: 259
Size:  76.2 KB
    \

I did not misunderstand you. I want to work from stash. Most of what I own are prints which won't work here. I have mostly novelty prints. You put in your instructions that Color A and Color B should be direct complementary colors on the color wheel. sorry about the big letters - I copied and pasted.... Anyhooo for me - red and green is too Christmassy although I might end up going that route if all else fails... Looking at what I own, orange + blue or purple + yellow are about all that is left. I don't have blue/green or yellow/green. What I have left is pretty much basic colors or muted colors which will not work with this. There are only so many combinations to be had on a color wheel unless you mix colors and then you get complicated. Red/orange gets paired with blue/green... yellow/green gets paired with red/purple etc.
    If you said that we could just use two colors that are nicely contrasted then maybe I'd do a red & yellow combination but opposite sides of the color wheel does pair yellow with purple.

Just wants to see the finished quilts

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
    \

I did not misunderstand you. I want to work from stash. Most of what I own are prints which won't work here. I have mostly novelty prints. You put in your instructions that Color A and Color B should be direct complementary colors on the color wheel. sorry about the big letters - I copied and pasted.... Anyhooo for me - red and green is too Christmassy although I might end up going that route if all else fails... Looking at what I own, orange + blue or purple + yellow are about all that is left. I don't have blue/green or yellow/green. What I have left is pretty much basic colors or muted colors which will not work with this. There are only so many combinations to be had on a color wheel unless you mix colors and then you get complicated. Red/orange gets paired with blue/green... yellow/green gets paired with red/purple etc.
    If you said that we could just use two colors that are nicely contrasted then maybe I'd do a red & yellow combination but opposite sides of the color wheel does pair yellow with purple.
    Hi, Working from your stash is wonderful and I am all for stash busting, you just want to make sure that you use yardage and not scraps as this will not work 'scrappy' You need colors that will pop off of one another and are in no way related to one another. Does that make since?

I love playing with the color wheel and yes, if you start staying from tried and true combinations, the combinations get really complicated, but in a lot of cases, wonderful things happen

If you want to use tow colors that are nicely contrasted, go for it! We are looking for "POP and WOW" here.

This is a pattern that many have already scene, but just a different color combination, wish I could tell you more, but it will all be clear next Sunday

Have fun digging in the stash, I know I do and find things I had totaly forgotten were there LOL

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by donac View Post
    Just wants to see the finished quilts
    Sunday afternoon.. I cant wait myself!

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Ok so we are 2 hours different than you so 10 am
    I generally get up at 5, so the coffee will be on at my house early. Why is it that during the week when you have to go to work and the alarm sounds at 5, you hit the snooze button, but on Saturday and Sunday, I am wide awake at 5 and ready to go.. makes no since to me what so ever!!!!!

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspete View Post
    how do you save this to come back and see the answers?
    I have found that when ever I go into a new thread, it is automatically saved as a subscription for me. If you click on Quick Links pull down menu bar and then click on subscriptions, it should be listed there for you. If it is not, Click on thread tools at the top of the page and then click subscribe and it will put it on that list. If you have automatically been subscribed, it will show Unsubscribe from this thread and you need do nothing. When you want to come back here, go to your subscriptions, click the arrow next to the person who last posted and it will take you to the last post of the thread.

I hope that helps, if not, let me know

any word yet on the super bowl mystery quilt instructions

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by debigneckow View Post
    any word yet on the super bowl mystery quilt instructions
    We are doing one that I have designed because the other one took too long to get her instructions listed. You will find the intro at this site. It is in both .doc and .pdf format along with the 1st clue. The next installment is going to be at 8am MST on Feb 5th.

https://sites.google.com/site/rustysquilts/

Fabriclovr
    I am working to get the blocks together today and tomorrow and getting pictures and explanations on how to put a quilt together on point. This just proves that you think you know how to do something and then you try to explain it so everyone can understand... Thank Goodness for the delete key, it has gotten its workout today!

I did the layout of my blocks and I can tell you, it has turned out nicer than I expected. Cant wait for the big reveal on next Sunday

We are doing one that I have designed because the other one took too long to get her instructions listed. You will find the intro at this site. It is in both .doc and .pdf format along with the 1st clue. The next installment is going to be at 8am MST on Feb 5th.

https://sites.google.com/site/rustysquilts/
    Wonderful! The instructions are calling for Black background and color dark and bold and color bright and bold. Just up my alley.
    Sweet Caroline

Fabriclovr
    Aww Caroline, ya just put a smile on my face and gave me the motivation to get my rear off this chair and get the rest of the quilt put together!

Blog Entries
    I found a solid black here in my stash - amazing what you can find when you look, but darn it now no reason to go shopping LOL now to find the BOLDS

By the way my sister went shopping yesterday for her fabrics so I know she is good to go
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Fabriclovr

Cool

So I'm putting the rows together for the quilt.. I am working on the explanation on how to do it and the doorbell rings. My DH yells up the stairs and says "you expecting anyone?" I say "No, You?" He says "Nope" He opens the door and there stands my daughter! She is home from Cuba for 10 days!!! (She is the reason for my avatar) OMG!!! I hope the rest of the instructions make since, 'cus my head is in the clouds!!

Headed for the stash to do my 'shopping'. I may be forced to hit a fabric shop before I am done. Sharon, have we a commitment from the S-I-L? I have the room reserved and the cook on alert.

Blog Entries
    So I'm putting the rows together for the quilt.. I am working on the explanation on how to do it and the doorbell rings. My DH yells up the stairs and says "you expecting anyone?" I say "No, You?" He says "Nope" He opens the door and there stands my daughter! She is home from Cuba for 10 days!!! (She is the reason for my avatar) OMG!!! I hope the rest of the instructions make since, 'cus my head is in the clouds!!
    Yeah!!! I am happy for you! Thank her for her service and give her a big hug from all of us.
    Happy Quilting.

Blog Entries
    Oh How exciting - send her our THANKS and give her a big hug from all of us

Fabriclovr

Exclamation

***DESIGNER UPDATE***

I am managing to finish the mystery. Tiffani and her girlfriend are out doing some running around, errons that she needed to do while she was here, so I am back at the cutting mat and sewing machine and pressing on (pun intended!) till she gets back home.

I just cut the borders and find that I do have extra fabric. Fabric A will also be the binding, but I have 7/8 of a yard left, plenty for binding. Fabric B had 1/4 yard left and fabric C had 3/4 of a yard left. Hope that helps on your fabric planing if you haven't already cut, if you have.. Stash time

Off to sew the borders, write the instructions and then computer goes off for the rest of the night

Fabriclovr
    Borders are together, but not on the quilt.. will finish it on Saturday. Nothing like the last minute is there?? LOL

Blog Entries
    Hey you had something more important pop into your life we all understand You have to spend as much time as possible with her !

Fabriclovr

Talking

Its Thursday night

Do you have your fabrics cut for the Super Bowl Mystery??

Blog Entries
    uuuhhhh ... well.... uuuhhhhh... I still have a couple days LOL

But I have another victim-- I mean participant WOO HOO So Sunday at my parents it will be my Mom, my sister, my sister in law and me

Noooooo!!! All I have been doing this week is running errands and taking care of business. Everyone is on notice to LEAVE ME ALONE tomorrow. I am not even going to "put my going out face on".
    Sweet Caroline

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast