Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers >

Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I was just today at our local Fabricland (kinda Joann's). They have Warm & Natural quilt batting on at 50% off. Sadly a queen size is $100.97 ( hey less than ($110.00). So how much do Americans pay for a queen size Warm & Natural batt,
Can you buy that off the bolt? Right now Joanns has a package 90"x108" for $22.49 that's the sale price.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 PM

In the area where I live, there are more quilters per capita than in Oregon's largest city. Having said that, our local LQS has moved and enlarged her store twice since I started shopping there. I do buy from her when I can, mostly for small things cause I am broke like that. She must be doing pretty well anyway since she keeps expanding...IMHO
Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I buy fabric by the bolt at Marshall's Dry Goods. It's never over $3.99 a yard per bolt, most times less then that. It is quilt shop quality, I doubt RJR, SouthSea, Red Rooster, Michael Miller, Riley Blake, etc. make two different quality of fabrics. Quilt shop owners get even more a discount. My two friends and I buy four or five bolts each and then split each bolts between us. Usually 15 yard bolts so we each get five yards of different fabric. The $1 a yard sale table is always piled high. I have found great fabric in that pile. Marshall's sells quilt fabric and craft fabric. I buy name brands as I know they are quilt shop quality.
Onebyone they actually do run lines on different quality fabrics. and I have know people that buy from discount places when they run out of a line only to find it is not the same quality of the same line. There are different levels of goods that they print their lines on which is why discount stores and retail stores can sell them for less. If you are okay with a lesser quality that is fine but people do need to know that cheaper in the same line doesn't necessarily mean the same quality fabric. It is good to know exactly what you are buying so that one is not disappointed when they buy the same thing from 2 online vendors only to find out they are not
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 PM

Well, the unthinkable has happened. I received an email tonight that my beloved LQS is closing. It's especially sad because I've had back trouble, and haven't been able to get there for a long time. I don't even know if I'll be able to make it to say goodbye to these wonderful ladies. It was so close to my house, that I was able to drive myself there during better back times, but I doubt I will be able to get to the shops that are further away. The owner cited a desire to spend more time with parents and children/grandchildren, rather than financial issues. I was so hoping that someone would take over the store when she decided to quit. So sad.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some people avoid shopping at/ordering from WalMart on general principles -

However, I have been checking the prices of some quilting/sewing supplies purchased through WalMart.com - and the prices on many items are less than at JoAnn's - even when using a 50% off coupon.
I've been saying this for years. I order a lot of notions, interfacings, embroidery stabilizer, and some fabric from Walmart.com. If I don't have a large enough order to get free shipping I have my order sent to the store for pick up. No shipping that way too.

Cari
Old 10-21-2015, 02:53 AM

My question has always been, why is it that some LQS can sell quality fabric for 5.99 a yard while others sell the same fabric for $14.00 a yard???????? We're talking same size stores...same amount of overhead. Is it because we continue to pay the higher prices? I'm all for making a profit but if those selling at a lower price are still making a profit why the need for boosting the prices up so much elsewhere. And, realistically, how often does a normal quilt actually get washed....truthfully. Unless I'm making some intricate quilt or for a gift I'm quite content with JoAnn fabric. My experience has been that they hold up just as well and I have just as much fun making the quilt. As fa.r as a LQS I use the FabricShack.com...staff is lovely, prices good, massive selection. You can, also, order on line.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 AM

Yes, I agree, Walmart on line has many things at better prices, and I have ordered as the store I frequent is only about 6 miles away. Yesterday I venture out to JAF...which is about 23 miles away..so I don't go often....anyway....store has changed...can't put my finger on it, but things are different...I used to love to find the clearance aisle and rummage...finding a treasure or two most of the time....not this time...smaller selection and prices were not what I consider clearance...so since I was "out for the day" on way back home stopped at a HL.....found what I was looking for, price was better...and their clearance section was fun......just my excitement of the day...yesterday!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:42 AM

I agree with you GEMRM. I was about to put a order in at MSQC and when I factored in the high exchange rate, I had to cancel the order. It is a crazy rate right now. Hope it comes down for Christmas shopping!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I'd rather pay for my own medical needs choosing the Drs. and hospital that are best for me and my family. The lower prices on goods save me enough to pay my premiums. I guess it all equals out in the long run.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some people avoid shopping at/ordering from WalMart on general principles -

However, I have been checking the prices of some quilting/sewing supplies purchased through WalMart.com - and the prices on many items are less than at JoAnn's - even when using a 50% off coupon.

Some items need to be ordered - but I think it is worth a look for things like interfacings and battings.

I am really surprised at how many items are available to order.
I almost never patronize Walmart as we have a Meijer just a mile further. However was told one of the three Walmarts closest to me sells fabric. So........being curious, I went. I bought 1 1/2 yds of their Waverly fabric at just under $3/yd in the softest butter cream yellow and tried it for a backing for a baby quilt. I liked it and it reminded me of Kona, a few less threads per inch which makes it ravel a bit more, but definitely not flimsy. They had wonderful sherbet colors and may try a whole quilt next time. I did stop yesterday and got some 1/3 yd pieces for an applique project for Christmas.

I, too, do a lot of online ordering, which is a shame. We live in the country but have 4 LQS in 4 different directions, naturally LOL, that are from 20-45 min. away. None of them have great sales, though I do still patronize them, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do. I waste less time, less gas and less wear on my knees using the computer. I only shop JoAnns for specialty type items.