Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers >

Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

Supporting our Quilting Fabric Suppliers

Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
It's primarily import duties. Fed tax and Provincial tax.
So this totals over 100% more than the taxes that the US dealers pay? Americans pay a tax when they shop, depending on where they live....

Here in Europe, a VAT tax is something like 23%, but that is a far cry from 100%. Fabric is still about the prices of Canada for nice stuff like she's talking about.

I, personally, think it is just because "they can" and because there are often several middle men, each taking their own cut.

When we were first here in Poland, I noticed Levi 501 jeans were about $100 (1994) a pair--back when in the official Levi stores in the US had them for about $40. It didn't mean that there was 150% more tax on the jeans than in the US. They charged that "because they could" and people would pay it. Fewer stores sold them and so the people who wanted Levi's were willing to pay it or go without. They didn't have promotions like the stores in the US to boost sales. Guess they didn't need the increased revenue. They preferred "fewer sales" with each individual sale making more profit to "more sales/less profit on each individual sale".

Last edited by justflyingin; 10-21-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 AM

My sister and I live 100 miles apart. We decided to meet for lunch in a town midway between us and while there went into a local quilt shop. I happened to see a product that I had seen online and mentioned that to my sister. The store owner overheard me and remarked that we "shouldn't shop online and should support our LQS instead." While I understand her problem with competing with online quilt shops, she didn't need to be so rude. I did support my LQS but it seems to be disappearing! About 10 years ago it got cut in half when they started sharing the building with a bank. Then a few years ago they stopped selling fabrics. Now they only sell sewing machines and accessories and a few notions. Today I went there to buy thread caps for my machine that I had purchased from them a year ago. They didn't have any in stock. (Not the first time that they were out of an accessory I needed).Even when I purchased my sewing machine which had been advertised as being on sale, they didn't have any in the store even though it was the first day of the sale. They had to order it from their sister store in Lansing (about 45 miles a away). I get flyers from the store about once a month but 90 percent of the products, classes, trunk sales, demos, and special events are at the Lansing store only. I would support my LQS if I had one that deserved my loyalty but this one no longer does. Unfortunately, it's the only quilt shop in my town.

Last edited by janjanq; 10-21-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 AM

Once again I have say thank you to the Fabric Gods in Maine. We have a number of Marden's store sprinkled throughout the state. Marden's is a salvage store, they search for bargains on fabric thoughout the US...might be because of water damage from a flood...fire/damage from a fire in a building...perhaps a shop going out of business or any number of reasons actually so they buy the lot and deliver it to stores here.. Price generally is in the 5.99 per yd or less. The well known slogan is "Buy it when you see it at Marden's" because if you don't it will most likely be gone when you go back!!
Over the years I've built a huge stash and saved a lot of money. I honestly would not have been able to if I had had to pay quilt shop prices for it. I do some shopping at quilt shops but I shudder to think of paying $12 - $15 a yard for any fabric.
So if you are a quilter coming to Maine be sure to do a Google search for Marden's stores in Maine and pay them a visit...you will not be sorry. They also carry a vast array of goods as well and you never know what treasure you may find!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Arrow

So if you are a quilter coming to Maine be sure to do a Google search for Marden's stores in Maine and pay them a visit...you will not be sorry. They also carry a vast array of goods as well and you never know what treasure you may find![/QUOTE]

You need to quit teasing us. I want to go there but being in Iowa, probably won't get the chance. Anybody for a road trip?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DivaDee View Post
So if you are a quilter coming to Maine be sure to do a Google search for Marden's stores in Maine and pay them a visit...you will not be sorry. They also carry a vast array of goods as well and you never know what treasure you may find!
You need to quit teasing us. I want to go there but being in Iowa, probably won't get the chance. Anybody for a road trip?[/QUOTE]

Someone should organize one!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:27 PM

Fat Quarter Shop sells new release Moda fabric for $8.60 a yard if you buy 15 yards. That can be split between a couple of other people and would be a great deal.

My LQS just opened, and doesn't have a huge selection yet. I make my purchase decisions at home, then go to the store to buy . . .but if they don't have what I'm looking for, or it's cheaper online, I don't have any qualms whatsoever about ordering online. I understand it's important to support local business . . .but it's also important to protect my bottom line, too.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:35 PM

Good idea except right now our $ is worth .70 US. Then for me there's a $100.00 Ferry ride ( one way). So not a good deal.
Originally Posted by Altairss View Post
Wow I am just a few hours south of you. I buy mine from joanns. Regular price is around 40 for a queen. I buy when on sale 50% off. You should find out when on sale and hit Bellingham it would save you a ton!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 PM

I can actually remember when we didn't have "free medical" etc. It was still the same, always the same prices differences. Then they usually blamed import taxes and our smaller population. Some things never change.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'd rather pay for my own medical needs choosing the Drs. and hospital that are best for me and my family. The lower prices on goods save me enough to pay my premiums. I guess it all equals out in the long run.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
Connection threads is now shipping to Australia and UK at moment free shipping for orders over $75.
Connecting Threads just put out a new catalog and their fabric is top quality. They are consistently lower priced. I am not affiliated with them (wish I was!) but I've always been pleased with their quality and service. Go for it girls!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 PM

My sympathy to our Canadian friends on the cost of fabrics!

Regarding buying fabric at Walmart: i make a many quilts for various charities. Walmart fabric costs less, which allows me to have a larger selection of fabrics and to make more quilts. I also buy online and in LQS - on sale.

If it wasn't for Walmart prices and buying on sale, the number of quilts I make each year would be much lower than it is. The same is true for many of my fellow quilters.

I have had the unfortunate experience of buying a fabric or two at LQS full price because they were perfect for the quilt I wanted to make. Except sometimes they aren't perfect. Sometimes they shred so much, they are useless. Sometimes the print is so far off that it can never be 'on', although I have learned to check that before I buy. Sometimes they are very thin, sometimes they are just right.

That has also happened with WM fabric. It is a fact of life for all products - sometimes you don't get what you think you're getting for the money you spent.