Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Syncopated Rhythm - Opinions needed >

Syncopated Rhythm - Opinions needed

Syncopated Rhythm - Opinions needed

Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
I think either option would be great. Black would make those colors pop. Why don't you open up a black piece of fabric and arrange the blocks as if it were sashing to give yourself an idea of how it would look.
I agree.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM

That is going to be the most gorgeous quilt when you finish it! Doesn't matter which option you choose, it will be so lovely.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM

Off the subject a bit...... Is there a pattern for this block somewhere? Looks fun and versatile.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...6691d0ce_b.jpg

Here's a site for a Syncopated Rhythm quilt picture. Perhaps you can print it out and make your own pattern. I do that all the time with a little patience and graph paper. It starts with a five (I think) sided block in the middle and triangles added to it. It's one of those where you just sew half the first triangle on then work backwards adding the next piece and the next until you attach the last one then you go back and finish the first seam to attach the first triangle to the last. Did that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say I just don't know if I'm saying it right. You can type Syncopated Rhythm quilt pattern into your browser and look it up that way too.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...6691d0ce_b.jpg

Here's a site for a Syncopated Rhythm quilt picture. Perhaps you can print it out and make your own pattern. I do that all the time with a little patience and graph paper. It starts with a five (I think) sided block in the middle and triangles added to it. It's one of those where you just sew half the first triangle on then work backwards adding the next piece and the next until you attach the last one then you go back and finish the first seam to attach the first triangle to the last. Did that make any sense? I know what I'm trying to say I just don't know if I'm saying it right. You can type Syncopated Rhythm quilt pattern into your browser and look it up that way too.
Thanks for the heads up and picture. That surely will help.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Oh I'd not add sashing...I love how it all blends so beautifully. Maybe a narrow black border before a wider matching border would be cool...

I look forward to seeing what you decide. There's isn't a wrong decision!! :-D
Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Okay, I printed it out and took a close look. On Sewing With Nancy the other day they were doing a wonky nine patch where you took 9 squares of fabric (a little larger than you want the finished block) and stack them up. Then you make two angled cuts from top to bottom but at no particular measurement. Then you make two angled cuts from the other way. You now have 9 pieces of each fabric cut at wonky angles. Take the top layer on one section and move it to the bottom. On the second section put the top TWO pieces on the bottom, third the top three, forth the top four and so on. Now you sew all the top pieces back together. There will be nine different fabrics in that block and each of the following blocks. Syncopated Rhythm appears to be made the same way only using 6 pieces of yellows, 6 blues, etc. Stack up all the ones in the same color grouping and whack off a triangular corner. Then just keep cutting off triangles until you have FIVE with a center piece. Do the same thing as the Wonky 9 patch. Do each color grouping like that. Your cuts don't have to and shouldn't be the same on the different color groups. It's a lot simpler than it looks at first glance. After cutting your first squares there's no measuring. I think I might make one too since I'm trying to bust my stash.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM

That is really pretty and I like the idea of the borders. I was also wondering about buying another kit to add to the size. Can't wait to see it finished. :D
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM

I really enjoyed putting this one together. It took 4 kits to get king size. It made a great wedding gift for a niece last summer.
I need many, many hours in quilting practice but this one was fun.
The blocks came together at 80" X 96" and a border made it bigger.

Wedding Quilt Syncopated Rhythm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27407[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-27407.jpe  
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM

Nice job.