Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging? >

T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging?

T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging?

Old 12-25-2010, 08:24 PM

Just last week, my DD told me she had purchased a book for me -- How to Make a Too Cool T-Shirt Quilt by Andrea T. Funk. My DD and her husband, now 40 and 42, whould like thier college T-Shirts made into 'something' -- she has themin bags and all.
The book shows different size T-shirt pieces, It has been a busy week so I am only now looking at it -- it has the best info I have seen and many suggestions for all sorts of 'problems' I had not even thought of.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:17 PM

I make about four a year for charity and they are easy to do and sew up fast the worst part is getting all the tee's a uniform size but other than that they are easy.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:26 PM

I have made two and they were a lot of fun. One word of caution: never, ever iron the printing on the front of the t-shirt. I was pressing a square and by accident, the iron hit some of the printing and it melted and smeared. I lost that entire block. But they are a lot of fun, especially if it's truly made of only t-shirts. I used the pocket and other small insignias in the border and it came out really attractive. Good luck. I think you will enjoy making it.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:40 PM

I made my first one for DH for Christmas. It was super simple but I had it tied rather than quilted. I did sashing between t-shirt blocks.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Just finished helping gd make one for her friend out of his football tshirts...we used a 14 in square to cut out emblem and fusible interfacing for backing...made a 6 inch border around each square and 6 inch border to finish...she picked blk fleece for backing....turned out great...
Old 12-26-2010, 04:52 AM

I d believe that the T-shirt quilt I made was the most challenging one I have created..but also the most appreciative.

........it was for my younger son who is a motorcycle enthusiast.

I used fusible webbing and also cotton batting.....and my mistake was to use a cotton backing that was a bit heavy in weight.
........more so that the average cotton.

....it really is heavy....but they tell me it is sooooooooo warm.

When completed, I was so proud of myself...as it really was my biggest challenge.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by vschieve
I intend to make one out of my old sweatshirts from different ski resorts. Any tips on fusing the backs of sweats?
And here's the perfect background material for that quilt, just found on sale: :-D

http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...44111213850.d7

(So much nicer than a plan solid!)
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Made one and had lots of fun with it. Each design doesn't need to be the same size. You can do that by adding borders. Be creative with your fabrics to enhance the T-shirt design. Make sure to use an iron on stabilizer made for T-shirts, makes the job so much easier. Good Luck.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM

to frugalfabrics. Your tutorial quite good. As a teacher, I always scan a pattern before attempting. Well done. I do want to add a few points. If t-shirt logo is not large enough for your method, you can put two or more together to make the 12 1/2" block using sashing in the block itself. Have made a half dozen of these wonderful quilts. Also, you can press the front of your quilt if you place a pressing cloth or applique sheet over the "gooey" logos.
Congrats to you for getting out some basic instructions to all out there .
Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 AM

thank you for your comments...I periodically update it as I read it over and over again...and your comments will definitely be added into it. Thank you again.