Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging? >

T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging?

T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM

That is truly a keepsake for him no wonder he loves it please don't let my son or grandson see it they are both Harley riders and would insist on getting started collecting t shirts so we could do one.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Go to your search engine and type in How to make a T-Shirt quilt, then you can takt your pick of quite a few sites with great directions :-)
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

My granddaughter is saving all her t-shirts for a quilt. Thanks to all who contributed to this post. It's been very helpful! :)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM

I made one large wallhanging out of Slipknot shirts. It wasn't particulary hard. I think the hardest part was figuring where to cut. I had a set panel size (15"?) for the t-shirts and sometimes the design on the shirt just extended a little bit beyond that size. You don't have to cut out the shirts the same size...that's just how I did mine. You do have to add some sort of interfacing to stabilize it. Most people go with a lightweight fusible. I think I used Pellon lightweight fusible.

I have heard a lot of long arm quilters don't like quilting them because a lot of t-shirts have the plasticy iron-on designs on them and they are a pain to sew through (not to mention it kind of looks like crap). If you have screenprinted shirts---which should barely have a "feel" to it if any at all---then this shouldn't be a problem. If you do have shirts with the iron on designs then you could ask if they could quilt around the design. I didn't have mine sent in to be quilted. I partially tied my quilt. I put a tie on the t-shirt panels every 4" (I think) with black perle cotton embroidery thread (black because it was the same color as the t-shirt fabric). I plan on quilting the sashing and borders with an echoing straight stitch...provided if I ever get around to finishing it!

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/100_0064.jpg[/IMG]
(T-shirt quilt top. Borders were a little wavy until the quilt got sandwiched)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM

I have made six and am working on my sevemtj one now. After makeing my first one I told my DH that if I ever made another one I was getting a press to use to put the fusible on. I got one from Nancy's Notions and it made the job of fusing much easier. I put my fubile down, then the shirt right side up and use a pressing cloth to protect the t-shirt. Whenever I press the seams etc, I use the press cloth to protect the design. I quilt them on my Topaz 30. Two of them have been king size. I enjoy doing them because the quilting is unique to each one.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I used Eleanor Burns' T-shirt pattern. Very easy to follow.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252531.jpe  
Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 PM

I made a Harley-Davidson T-shirt quilt using the
"Too Cool T-shirt" pattern book and it turned out quite good.

Blocks were from 4"x4" to 16"x16" and also had different size rectangle blocks from 4"x8" to 12"x16".

It was very different and the book gave wonderful instructions.