Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging? >

T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging?

T Shirt Quilts: Are they challenging?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM

I have made two t shirt quilts, the first I used stabilizer, and the second I used fabric starch...Starched the daylights out of the shirts prior to cutting.. It worked very well and the finished product was much lighter weight than the first....and far easier to quilt.... I did machine quilt both and have to agree here that the rubberized designs are very hard to stitch through....so meandering works much better.... Here is a pic and if you want the details please message me privately...>Good luck!! and we want pics!!
Ellen

2nd, starched t's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147995[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147986.jpe   attachment-147990.jpe  
Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM

THanks so much! I like it! Was thinking doing backing in fleece of snow flakes but this is really cool.

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by vschieve
I intend to make one out of my old sweatshirts from different ski resorts. Any tips on fusing the backs of sweats?
And here's the perfect background material for that quilt, just found on sale: :-D

http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...44111213850.d7

(So much nicer than a plan solid!)
Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Ellen-since you asked for photos, here is one of mine.

Like mjsylvstr above, I too used a heavy batting (Warm and Natural) and found myself in a pickle when I started quilting. Because the t-shirt quilt I was making was to be used as a wall hanging in an office, I felt the sturdier the better. The theme was charity t-shirts and riding 150 Miles for MS. Therefore, the border has turning corner stones indicating rest stops and directional turns of the actual ride. The backing was green leaf fabric indicating the countryside. If one is familiar with these bicycle rides, there can be a thousand or more people released from the start point in intervals.

And again, like mjsylvstr above, I too was pretty proud when the project was done.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-148066.jpe  
Old 12-26-2010, 06:25 PM

I will be SO ready to attempt this that when my DDIL asks for me to begin this project- I.Will.Be.Ready.
Thank you, kind quilters. As always, I can count on your help and support. One day I will complete this and show you the end result.
Happy Holidays to you all.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM

I just completed 3 crib size throws for a coworker who lost her husband last year just before Christmas. She wanted these for gifts for her 2 children and her mother in law. She gave me cotton and silk shirts to use as well as t-shirts. I also copied pictures of him and the family onto some white fabric and then sewed all that together. It was a nightmare with all the different weights of fabric and all different sizes, but I made it like a crazy quilt so uneven rows and tilted pictures did not make a difference, but gave it character. I will post pics soon. My coworker called this morning to tell me that everyone loved the quilts-they cried, but were pleased.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM

I made a T shirt quilt for a friend I did sash between each T shirt and than put light weight batting and a light backing decided to tack it instead of quilting and found it very tough to stick needles and pull the heavy tacking thread thru but loved the quilt when it was finished and the friend was well pleased with it I didn't want another one to do tho so asked her not to advertise for me. I'd much rather work with cottons or calicos and love the feel of new fabrics. T shirts are of so many different weights and textures they were a challange.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 AM

How convient for me. My son called last night from NYC and he was cleaning out his room. He asked if I thought I could maybe make a quilt out of the tee shirts he has collected. He is a theater actor. I told him I always wanted to try it. I've saved lots of info from this thread.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Here is a picture of one a friend asked me to make for her son for his high school graduation. She saved all of his baseball shirts over the years. It was a little challenging to put together because of the different sizes of the shirts, but not too terribly difficult.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156127.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ethel Hoffman
I made a T shirt quilt for a friend I did sash between each T shirt and than put light weight batting and a light backing decided to tack it instead of quilting and found it very tough to stick needles and pull the heavy tacking thread thru but loved the quilt when it was finished and the friend was well pleased with it I didn't want another one to do tho so asked her not to advertise for me. I'd much rather work with cottons or calicos and love the feel of new fabrics. T shirts are of so many different weights and textures they were a challange.
I agree 100% with you.

I would not care to do another T-shirt quilt..
for all the tea in China.......well, maybe____!!!!!

I made my son a quilt (90"x90") from his Harley Davidson
T-shirts and then also used some of the nieces' tees and Harley purses and anything that was an authentic Harley item.....

I used 53 of his T's and lots of other items.....and I can truthfully say that it was my first and last T-shirt quilt.

all blocks were from a 4"x4", 4"x8", 8"x8" up to and including 16"x16" squares......so, you can just imagine working with them.

We made layouts of the blocks in 5 segments and used poster board with little papers cut to size so that we might be able to have the blocks meet where they should meet......

As I said before, He Loves It.......so it was certainly worth the effort but one T-quilt is definitely enough !!!!!!!

Here's pic of it.....I couldn't quilt it as it was too heavy so I stole all the Harley buttons from all his shirts or wherever I could find them......that was a job in itself trying to sew them on that large of a quilt....but........

He Loves it and that in itself made it worth all the work that went into it......

my "biker baby" quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156201[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156196.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM

I love it. You did a good job.