Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table runner questions >

Table runner questions

Table runner questions

Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Table runner questions

I am going to make my daughter a very simple table runner for Thanksgiving. This idea may sound strange to you but she will absolutely love this. I am going to print 5 photos of the family pets and use those as blocks with a fall border around them. I am going to use Insul brite as batting so that she actually put warm dishes on this. I am going to instruct her to flip it over when she's using it - not sure how the photos will handle warm dishes being set right on them or being sprayed with Spray N wash if food gets on it. She will only use this once a year so I'm not too worried about being washed alot.

This will be second ever quilting project and I'm just sort of winging it (which is always a questionable idea). Right now, I have four questions. Sure I will have more later.
  1. I'm washing the cotton first. Do I have to wash the fabric that goes in the printer? I bought a package of fabric sheets for ink jet printers. I don't think I have to wash it first but it doesn't say so I don't know.
  2. Do I need to wash the Insul brite first? It says no need to prewash but just want to make sure. Don't want it shrinking inside and the outside not shrinking since I prewash it.
  3. Daughter's table is 42" x 84". What size should I make the table runner?
  4. Would you lay out the pictures so that they are all even or would you stagger them - one up, one down, one up, one down, one down? Which way would look better? And would one way be easier than the other?

Think that's all for now. Sure I will have more as I get into this.

Thanks in advance. You guys are the greatest!!

Amy
Old 11-22-2013, 04:42 PM

No, don't wash the printer fabric! There should be instructions in the package - with mine the ink has to be set with cool water after 24 hours. I am pretty sure InsulBrite doesn't shrink or mine hasn't. I will leave the other questions for someone with good answers...
Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Remember when you are assembling the runner that the shiny-threaded side of the InsulBrite faces the side that the hot dish will be on. So in your case, that would be the back of the table runner, assuming that your daughter will flip it over to put hot dishes on it. I would put the pictures one up-one down. That way, whatever side of the table you are on, at least half of the pets will be facing you!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Would 14" x 52" work for a 42" x 84" long table? I don't want one that hangs over the edge as I want this to serve as a "hotpad" of sorts. I think this size would leave enough room for place settings all around the table. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
Would 14" x 52" work for a 42" x 84" long table? I don't want one that hangs over the edge as I want this to serve as a "hotpad" of sorts. I think this size would leave enough room for place settings all around the table. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Personal opinion, 52" should be long enough and wide enough.

I agree about the other posts, do Not prewash your printer sheets nor the insulbrite.

Pinkiris is correct to my way of thinking......up and down, that way both sides of the table get a nice picture and are not standing on their heads to see what others see.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
This will be second ever quilting project and I'm just sort of winging it (which is always a questionable idea). Right now, I have four questions. Sure I will have more later.
  1. I'm washing the cotton first. Do I have to wash the fabric that goes in the printer? I bought a package of fabric sheets for ink jet printers. I don't think I have to wash it first but it doesn't say so I don't know.
  2. Do I need to wash the Insul brite first? It says no need to prewash but just want to make sure. Don't want it shrinking inside and the outside not shrinking since I prewash it.
  3. Daughter's table is 42" x 84". What size should I make the table runner?
  4. Would you lay out the pictures so that they are all even or would you stagger them - one up, one down, one up, one down, one down? Which way would look better? And would one way be easier than the other?

1. I would say no do not wash the print sheets, because there may be some sort of treatment or lack of treatment on the fabric to help the ink adhere.
2. You do not need to pre wash insul brite. it will not shrink. Insulbrite is a special poly fiber with a type of metallic melded in to help disperse the heat.
3. If you are going to use the runner for a hot pad, then you want the runner to be a little less than the table top, meaning you dont want it hanging over the edge, too easy to have an accident and lose the dinner
4. I would try different layouts and see which would strike your fancy better hard to say without looking at the blocks

I do want to add a little note here. When I use insul-brite and make table topper hot pads and pot holders, I generally stick with all cotton. Cotton top, thread, and a thin layer of 100% cotton batting without scrim. (needle punch is fine, just no synthetics) the reason to do this is because there is a different heat rating for synthetic fabrics/threads than there is for cotton. Hot pots/pans might cause spontaneous combustion or smoldering. Odds are not that high that something will happen, but I personally would not do it. I would also worry about the ink coming off onto the table (if you turn it) with the heat.

So I would recommend that you skip the insul-brite (it is expensive to use for batting if you are not using it as a heat pad) and use trivits that way you can still use the table runner, just dont put hot pans on it
Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

sounds like a great idea, please show us a pic
Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 AM

Do not wash the printer cloth by any means. Insul-Brite doesn't have to be pre-washed. Great idea, by the way, to put it in a table runner so the heat of dishes doesn't damage the table, etc. Thanks for that one. I'd think that 52 long is great, but would make it 20 to 22 inches wide. Just a suggestion, there is a pattern on Craftsy called "Hobo Rails' which uses large squares and seems like an ideal way to use your photo squares. I like it because it is simple and yet can be made elegant merely by fabric selection. As I recall it cost about $3.00. Some of the best projects come from"winging it." It will be made with love and that will be the guiding hand. Please do post a pix.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM

When my table doesn't have any of its extensions in it - it is 68 inches, I have a beautiful table runner (from the table runner swap made by chessehead) which is 48 inches. I do not have room for place settings without adding to the length of the table. The runner looks perfect when the table is "on display" and not in use!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 AM

Super idea, hope to see your finished runner.