Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder >

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

*jumping up and down excitedly*

There is a lot of talk and most of the time I hear that people are intimidated by this, so I thought that I would see if I could take the fear out of it, it really is simple when you see how it all works and goes together. the sewing isn't hard part at all.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I have fabric that I hope will work and now will have visual aid as well. This will be my third quilt. First one was 20 some years ago (a log cabin) and one that is almost done I am working on now ( a variation of irish chain) and can't wait to start OBW!

Love looking at all the fabric choices. I can see where one could get addicted at least to cutting out the pieces and laying them together to see what you've got. Actually sewing and finishing is another story. LOL I am really good at starting but no so much finishing.

Bailey
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cutebuns
This is the one that I use, I have another around here somewhere I bought a while ago before an accident happened and it hasn't shown itself since though I know I rescued it, so there is more than just this one, I like it as it also has other angles on it but I also have used just my regular ruler as well, like when I am out and I forget this one,
Do we need the mirrors and any special rulers for this? I did a Stack n Whack once, but don't remember using any special tools.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Hey Cutebuns...Now see what you did?? I am off to look thru my stash for fabric that might work for this. Its something new for me if I do. But I am soooo busy...I don't know if I can keep up. I gotta find mirrors too. On me, Oh my, see what you have done.....I am totally out of control!!

Oh yeah...when does this start?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

You don't need the mirrors, some times it makes it easier to pick out fabric, but not by any means essential,

And if you have a straight ruler that has the 60 degree line on it you are good to go there as well, the special ruler can just make cutting the triangles easier. That is all

The piecing can go very quickly for this, you figure that there isn't many seams, to start with you only do 4 per block.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I love the one you have with the birds in clover. Will 30's fabric work? Most of that isn't in repeats, just an all over print I think. Or should there be a definite repeat pattern? Also, I want to thank you so much for taking the time to do this with us. I've been wanting to do this for a while, now I will have the umpf to go ahead. I really appreciate it! I did do a stack and whack. Isn't this close to that.
I love the birds too.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Cutebuns, I have a the mirror but find it disappointing when I actually cut my fabric because the mirror shows a mirror image. In actuality if I have a certain flower on the left, it will be on the left on each pierce. So I don't really get the pattern I thought i would.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I have never used the mirror. but that makes sense. for some it gives a good idea on what they are looking for, I think it is also better for the klaidascope as well as they are fussy cut.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Wait...I just found this tonight...has it started already, or are we just talking about fabric choices????
Old 01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

We are talking fabric at the moment still.