Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tangle Mess! >

Tangle Mess!

Tangle Mess!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

I overlock mine but you could zigzag the edges if you don't have an overlocker
Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

My new washer has a hand washing cycle. It is perfect for washing fabric. No ravels at all, not even on the pre cuts. It was the main reason I bought it. I don't put fabric a yard or less in the dryer. I let it damp dry then iron it.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM

I was told a long time ago to cut a little bias edge off the corners. It does help, but if you cut a big piece off, you'll waste some fabric on that edge. But I do it. Helps a little
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 AM

When I wash new fabric I wash it on the delicate or hand cycle. Does away with tangles.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm a newbie and I learned that all fabric should be washed before cutting and sewing. Did that and my material came out a tangled mess. Had to get scissors and snip out tangles from one material to another. What should I have done? Any suggestions or is this a common problem?
I only wash pieces that are over two yards! Fat quarters and 1/2 yards and even one yard that I am going to cut into squares I do not wash until the quilt is put together, and quilted and bound. Then it gets washed. I feel that if you wash a small piece you are going to lose more than you have, so I don't - and I have not had one problem yet!

I learned this from my mother who has been quilting forever! And you know- Mothers are never wrong - especially when they are 96 years old. And, I am almost 74, so by now I should know! She doesn't chew her cabbage twice, so it is a case of learn now or never learn! I have learned to learn to learn!!!!!!! Edie
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 AM

zigzag stitch all around the edge
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have some 20 year old quilts that are used almost everyday - they are our 'couch quilts' - used Coats & Clark dual duty thread (cotton over polyester) - the thread worked great in my machines - it's held up great in the quilts -hasn't 'cut' the cotton fabric - threads haven't broken -

What is the problem with it - other than that it WAS available at stores like WalMart, Hancocks and JoAnn ???

If any one wants to get rid of their old, awful, crappy, cotton-covered cotton over polyester Dual Duty Coats & Clark thread, I would be happy to pay postage costs to 'take it off their hands' and relieve them of the torture of using that kind of thread.
I am with you, Bear. Sometimes folks think if they pay a lot for something, it has to be good. Sort of like the old story, "The Emperor's New Clothes." Coats & Clark is my choice. My great-grandmother and grandmother didn't use anything fancy and their quilts are still in use!! I've tried a couple of other threads and keep going back to C & C.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 AM

I just sew each raw end before putting in the wash and wash on gentle. then throw in the dryer till mostly dry and fold and hand it on a hanger till totally dry. then fold and put away till I need it. No problems so far.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I only wash pieces that are over two yards! Fat quarters and 1/2 yards and even one yard that I am going to cut into squares I do not wash until the quilt is put together, and quilted and bound. Then it gets washed. I feel that if you wash a small piece you are going to lose more than you have, so I don't - and I have not had one problem yet!

I learned this from my mother who has been quilting forever! And you know- Mothers are never wrong - especially when they are 96 years old. And, I am almost 74, so by now I should know! She doesn't chew her cabbage twice, so it is a case of learn now or never learn! I have learned to learn to learn!!!!!!! Edie
From my experience, (but I'm only 71, so you have three years on me), if a fabric is going to misbehave, it will do it no matter what size the piece is. The proportion/rate of shrinkage - if treated the same - would be the same if I had a fat eighth or a ten yard length. It just is more easily noticed on a small piece.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 AM

I wash all fabric in the bathtub and use shampoo for the soap, rinses out easier, and then throw it in the drier. Less tangles and knots.