Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tangle Mess! >

Tangle Mess!

Tangle Mess!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 AM

If you snip a small triangle from each corner of new fabric before washing it, the edges will be less likely to ravel--I can't explain it, but it helps. Also, I do not let the machine agitate more than a minute, and when putting the pieces in the dryer, separate them, don't toss in a bundle. And, always add a color-catcher, unless all the fabrics are the same color.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 AM

^ that is what I do and works like a charm. I used to serge the edges, but this snipping of each corner is faster and works almost as well. ~ Pat
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 AM

this is how I do it also!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
If you cut all raw edges with the pinking shears it won't be as bad. You won't have as much tangled mess to cut off and the fabric itself won't get wadded as tight. If I don't feel like using the pinking shears I just bring scissors and cut the mess off before I put it into the dryer.
This is what I do. It doesn't prevent the mess but it isn't as bad. I buy my material from the LQS and was surprised at how bad it gets. I tried the clipping the corners suggestion - doesn't work - the pinking shears seem to do the best job for me. Don't have a serger and guess I don't want to spend the time sewing the edges.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 AM

I tried washing fabric-- could see no reason why after I did it. never had any shrink that I know of .
Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 AM

Zig zag the cut ends and I have no problems with tangled threads. I use up old thread on bobbins that way then I have clear bobbins for my next project.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Just shake the stuff out, pull the pieces apart gently, place in dryer and Carry On. Remove from dryer, shake hard and fold nicely...don't make a big production out of this unless you never want to get to the fun stuff.
In the alternative, take a chance and don't pre-=wash unless it's red...then take no chances.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 AM

I serge all the ends of new fabric to prevent raveling. Takes a few minutes, but there is no fabric waste. I've even removed the serged threads to use the fabric to the very end.
SandyQuilter
Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
If you cut a tiny bit off each corner of the fabric it will hardly fray. Cut on an angle. I use to serge all my cut edges before washing now I just clip the corners. Much quicker & works wonderfully well.
This is what I do.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 AM

I learned from the QB that making a small cut diagonal across the corners of the fabric helps. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem, but helps tremendously.