Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your quilt in your avatar

AT a family reunion one of my daughters called everyone to bring any quilts they had that I had made. They all were hung on the 150 year old walls of the town "meeting" place in our small mountain town. My sister's granddaughter came up to me and with a hug said, "My favorite thing is humming birds and my favorite color is yellow green." What could I do but make this sweetie her quilt. It's my avatar.

My Avatar quilt is called Affair of the Heart.. It took me about a year to do the whole thing, block by block.. But I loved doing it..It started out as a quilt club block that a teacher gave us..I loved it when I saw the whole quilt she had made.. So I had to make it.. Won a blue ribbon at our county fair..My daughter has it hanging on her living room wall..

Great suggestion! I'm always admiring other people's quilts and wondering what the pattern is or what the story behind it is. I don't have a quilt photo yet, so am showing Bailey who hopped onto my cutting table the other day while i was cutting fabric and scared me. I think i underestimated his jumping abilities...

Blog Entries
    Mine is called garden path. It's made of scraps and pieced by hand and hand quilted. i"m in the process of making another one. got the pattern out of a McCalls magazine years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstitcher
    Thanks for the info, I'm new here.
    Welcome from St. Clair Shores, MI. You'll love this site.

Mine is my first queen size quilt. It is for our rv bed. I chose fall colors to go with the leaves in the border. The rv has a mirror over the headboard with leaves etched in the mirror. A friend I met on a quilting group on the web used her Bailey and long arm to quilt it for me. I made the top and did the binding. She helped me decide how to cut and place the fabrics. Based on a mystery quilt on the group I met her. I did not use their HSTs and their fabric placement at all.

Blog Entries
    Mine is "Pinwheel Party" and is a combination of piecing and embroidery. The embroidery pinwheel was a free download from The Quilt Life magazine.

I have been trying to decide what I should use as my avatar, and since I can't make up my mind, right now its just my name :D

Mine is a wall hanging that I designed and made for my daughter. She loved her Grandma's tea cup collection, and started her own collection. I took pictures of her cups, and duplicated them in fabric with fussy cuts, embroidery, etc. She loved it.

Blog Entries
    Loved this thread!!!

Mine began as a topper and it sat in the UFO pile for about 8 years. The pattern was in "Toppers" by Linda somebody.
    The pattern is a double sawtooth star, 16" block. The lighter fabrics are mostly civil war reproduction shirting prints along with some light plaids, the dark fabrics are all woven plaids and stripes(mostly Mission Valley).
    Last year my DS saw it, asked if I could make it bigger as he wanted a manly looking quilt. Of course I said yes. :-D
    It is queen size now and just needs a label and binding.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Mine is Eleanor Burns Tennesse Waltz pattern. I saw this episode and really liked the quilt. I bought the book but was afraid to do a big quilt in case it was hard. Chose to do a baby quilt for my new grandson. It turned out to be much easier than I thought so doing another one is on my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaO
    Mine is Eleanor Burns Tennesse Waltz pattern. I saw this episode and really liked the quilt. I bought the book but was afraid to do a big quilt in case it was hard. Chose to do a baby quilt for my new grandson. It turned out to be much easier than I thought so doing another one is on my to-do list.
    I also made a Tennesee Waltz, it fits a double bed. You can
    see it in my Webshots album.
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719APatjV

This is one of the best questions asked. Well done, as i am sure it has crossed so many of our minds.

Mine is a course i went on and learnt how to do "Stargazey Quilts" by Jan Mullen. I used DaGama fabrics for the backgrounds and the tie dyes were Amafu fabrics. I so enjoyed creating this double bed quilt. It was specifically made for my daughter's first year at varsity to let her know that i love her and will also be thinking of her. When she is sick and lies under the quilt i am sure she knows i wish i was there to take care of her. The gecko was an extra touch using the fabrics as friend from Australia sent to me and i combined some of that fabric into the quilt to make the set. I got it professionally longarmed quilted. It looks absolutely stunning in her room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstitcher
    What is an avatar?
    An avatar is the photo at the left which a person selects to represent them. I *know*...I never heard of it until the movie came out!

I made my Avatar at a workshop , so just followed the instructions we were given by the tutor. It is a folded layer star. I found one very similar in Gail Lawthers book "Fun and Fabulous Patchwork and Applique" and also Jennie Rayment has it in one of her books - forgive I don't the which one, she does lots of folded fabric designs.
    As mine was for Christmas, I added the gold material which seemed to just set it off better.

Mine is my Isis quilt which I made for the 2010 UK Hoffman Challenge. There were five set fabrics, all bluey-greeny shades in similar values, and they had to make up at least 50% of the quilt. The size had to be 1m (39") square and the theme was "Majestic". The fabrics almost all had gold metallics involved, and the gold on blue thing reminded me of Egyptian night goddesses. Once I started looking through Egyptian art, I ended up going with a winged version of Isis. The whole thing is my design, though it's all based on authentic Egyptian art. I had great fun embroidering and beading this piece. Everything is hand-sewn as usual.

If you want to see more detail, there are larger versions of the photos at my Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/elettaria/5084010959/.

And your cats love it, too!

A beautiful work of art, belongs in the British Museum.

Blog Entries
    Bobbielinks, Thanks for asking ......... this is my favorite post ever! I have had such fun learning about everyone, their quilts and ideas. The links to other quilts are great too. Again, thank you for asking!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    Mine is my Isis quilt which I made for the 2010 UK Hoffman Challenge. There were five set fabrics, all bluey-greeny shades in similar values, and they had to make up at least 50% of the quilt. The size had to be 1m (39") square and the theme was "Majestic". The fabrics almost all had gold metallics involved, and the gold on blue thing reminded me of Egyptian night goddesses. Once I started looking through Egyptian art, I ended up going with a winged version of Isis. The whole thing is my design, though it's all based on authentic Egyptian art. I had great fun embroidering and beading this piece. Everything is hand-sewn as usual.

If you want to see more detail, there are larger versions of the photos at my Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/elettaria/5084010959/.
    Love your quilt and the detailed work is fabulous....I went to your flickr site...great work...
    BJ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

[quote=Lobster]Mine is my Isis quilt which I made for the 2010 UK Hoffman Challenge.

This is positively stunning. Wow thanks for sharing. A master piece for sure. I would just love this one for my lounge. Congratulations

Thank you for the compliments, everyone! I don't suppose anyone is willing to pay vast amounts of money for the thing, by any chance? I'm happy to sell it, but I don't want to be selling it for less than it's worth, and a lot of work went into it. (Although when I'd finished it, I was nearly sick of it, but now that it's been away touring the spring quilt shows for months, I'm starting to miss it a bit.)

Bobbielinks, THANK YOU SO MUCH for starting this topic. It's the BEST. I don't have an avatar as yet, since I'm illiterate as to how to do a lot of stuff on the computer. Also, since I don't have a completed quilt. There's always tomorrow........

You don't need a completed quilt, if you've got a few blocks sewn together, or even a single block, we can make you an avatar. If you pop into chat (this is easy, just click on "Live Chat" at the top of the page), I'm sure we can walk you through creating a nice avatar.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast