Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!! >

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Tell me if i'm crazy.......buti have an idea !!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 AM

Try it .. what is the worst that can happen. You may not like it so recycle it to something else, but in the mean time you learn what works and what doesn't. You may love it and choose to do it again just changing some things. I saw throws in an antique store in Atlanta that was made up of the fancy trim taken off clothes . the seams had yarn couched over them and they the whole thing was overdyed one color and the back was some kind of interfacing. they also used some of it to cover chairs.
I took the pictures with my phone so they are not great but I think you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails purple-quilt-paris-ponce.jpg   red-quilt-paris-ponce.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 AM

I think it is a great idea. I've thought of doing that with my scraps and so I'm happy to know someone else is thinking of doing it. I thought of just starting to join pieces and then add and add and add. I was thinking that as I go along I would square it up now and then to keep some kind of order. Will be watching to see how you make out. Keep those ideas coming!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:18 PM

I like the idea. And if it looks like a big Log Cabin block, well, soooo. I'm just a beginner, so I don't know much, but I do like the log cabins.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM

I'm positive this will work and be quite lovely.---My first QAYG was not my finest hour : ) -I made the blocks and quilted them only to find I should have read instructions first.So to keep from ripping out zillions of stitches and losing all my fabric. I sewed the blocks onto a new backing and ran sashing vertically and horizontally. I figured that if it looked bad it would be ok because I was making it for myself anyways.It turned out so nice that if some one wanted it more than me I could give it away without shame.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Crazy quilt

No you are not crazy. You go for it ,girl. If no one tried their "crazy ideas" we would all be just sewing squares together.
Attached Thumbnails 1297113628441-_ugogirl.gif  

Last edited by katesnanna; 08-12-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM

It has been done, recently and historically but I think piecing crazy blocks and joining them tames thecrazy a bit and makes the work easier. But.......to each his or her own.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 PM

I think it will work. The only problem for me would be -- the quilt would start getting too heavy about half way through.
Also, I pull up my side table on the left side of me to keep the quilt from sliding off of the sewing table, so I don't have to tug on it all the time. I would also do the batting abd backing at the same time. Glue stick baste as you go, and pin where needed. Be sure to show us how it turns out.
Syl
Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 AM

Default foundation pieced crazy quilt

Originally Posted by dotski View Post
how about a crazy quilt but only make 1 very large contunius square. say big enough for a lap quilt. start in the center and just keep sewing and flipping pieces of fabric. what's your honest opinion. do you think it would work ? how would you do it ? on just a foundation piece of fabric then layer batting and backing or stitch with the batting already on or with batting and backing already layered ? i'm boared and this is what happens i get crazy ideas..........
Most of the crazy quilts did not contain any batting. They had the foundation fabric, and the pieces were sticthed, turned and trimmed (scissors, not rotary cutters) and when all pieces added, the "quilting" was done with embroidery stitches over the seam lines, or in today's world, using the fancy stitches on your sewing machine.

Silks, velvets, brocades made lovely victorian crazy quilt throws.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:08 AM

you don't have to start in the center. I have made quilts using double knit as my top and a sheet as the back. I pin out a random layout of larger shapes and zig zag around them. Then do several mid size shapes in the open areas. repeat with smaller shapes till you fill the top. If you want to do it all in cottons. Baste out your larger shapes, then fold under edges of pieces on the top. you can even top stitch to make it quicker.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM

I love the idea of recycling an old quilt by CQ on top. I have several old store bought quilts I could use. Thanks to all of you who have thought outside the box and shared your ideas. Jinnie